Author Topic: Why I miss McDonald's  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Why I miss McDonald's
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2005, 11:06:36 PM »
Guess you date yourself if you remember when Taco Bell used meat, beans, and cheese and little else.

RICE!

Everytime I see a taco/burrito/etc. with rice in it, I feel ripped off. It's cheap filler.
sand

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Why I miss McDonald's
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2005, 11:10:57 PM »
Hmm, Teriyaki burgers.  That actually sounds really good.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Why I miss McDonald's
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2005, 11:16:48 PM »
Yeah, with a big thick slap of pineapple on it.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline RightF00T

• Silver Member
Why I miss McDonald's
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2005, 11:44:58 PM »
LOL SOB...Del Taco?  Any "Mexican" restaraunt that sells "Crunchy Fish Tacoes" in the middle of the desert(AZ) is not alright by me.  Not to mention their taco shells have the consistency of folded paper.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Why I miss McDonald's
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2005, 10:33:41 AM »
Rightfoot,

Rubios in Tucson started out as the main source of fish tacos. A not uncommon food near the coast of Mexico. They are ok but I prefer beef.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Why I miss McDonald's
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2005, 11:24:37 AM »
That reminds me, in the town where I used to live there is a burger place called Burger Haven. They make a special hamburger called What-A-Burger (If I can recall right, it says Home of the WhatAburger)

hmmm copyright?
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Why I miss McDonald's
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2005, 02:46:41 PM »
Originally posted by -ammo-
White Castle=Krystal=tiny greasy throwup burgers.  However admittedly when I was in high school when they were onlyt $.25 each, I would eat like 15 in a sitting along with a bowl of chile.  I think thats the reason I only made it to 5'8".

We call them "Glide -n- Slide".  They glide in, they slide out twice as fast, any orifice.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Why I miss McDonald's
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2005, 02:50:32 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick
Rightfoot,

Rubios in Tucson started out as the main source of fish tacos. A not uncommon food near the coast of Mexico. They are ok but I prefer beef.

Fish tacos are excellent! :aok
sand

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Why I miss McDonald's
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2005, 02:52:42 PM »
yes. tuna taco's get an aok :aok in my book :D
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Why I miss McDonald's
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2005, 03:00:17 PM »
Originally posted by Rolex
McDonalds in Japan is, well... different.

Since a good part of Japan is still living in the 1960s, McDonalds is definitely 1965. Some of you are too young to remember the little paper holder for french fries. That used to be the 'regular' size in Japan and it was still used until this year. Even a regular size drink was the little cup your dentist might hand you to rinse... not really, but pretty small.

All that changed this year when an American came over to run the operation. All the small stuff is gone and the push is on to fatten everyone up and stretch out their stomachs so they crave more and more food.

No Quarter Pounders yet, only cheeseburgers, hamburgers, Big Macs (not too popular) and Double Cheeseburgers plus some localized things like Teriyaki Burgers This summer, the push is on to sell large drinks, with the large container sitting near the registers. Everyone justs ignores it or thinks it's a decoration maybe. I asked a manager how many they sold a day and he said they hadn't sold one yet, since June.

Gotta love the Japanese efficiency though. Until a few years ago, if you asked for salt, you got a little package of salt... and pepper - mixed together. If you wanted catsup, you got a package of catsup... with mustard mixed in it. :)

When the tray is handed to you, it's a cultural rule that the company logo has to be facing the customer. No just throwing it onto a tray and shoving it at you. So, the tray has a paper placemat with the text facing the customer and the french fry container has the logo facing the customer. That means that the french fries are sticking out of the container away from you.

If Japan could harness all the rotational energy from millions of people every day turning around the french fry container, they might be able to power Tokyo. You'd think someone would have figured out by now that they could print the logo the other way.

There really isn't the stigma of a 'paper hat' job in Japan. There is a genuine respect for anyone doing any job and  you don't get any clerks being surly or rude. On the contrary, everyone goes out of their way to be polite and helpful.

Burger King was in Japan for awhile, but they pulled out. There was a policy that nothing could be adapted or changed to suit Japanese tastes or customs. Everything had to be exactly as dictated from Burger King Command. Just because you're a big company doesn't mean you can't be stupid.

KFC has been in Japan as long as McDonalds. Walking into a KFC is like walking into 1965 America. Same greasy original recipe except the chicken parts look like midget chickens. $10 for 2 thighs, 2 wings and two drumsticks. The drumsticks are about the size of your thumb and no chicken breasts. And definitely no requests for white meat or anything special - the Earth will stop turning if you ask for anything special.

There are a few Wendys around, but everything is downsized and very expensive. And they've only just begun to offer breakfast. There is a false image here that Americans eat hotdogs and hamburgers for breakfast, so if you went to Wendys or Burger King at 9:30 in the morning, you'd see people eating cheesburgers and french fries.

My Kingdom for a Taco Bell...

Excellent post! Thanks for sharing this Rolex! That is quite interesting!

Offline RightF00T

• Silver Member
Why I miss McDonald's
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2005, 03:09:24 PM »
Agreed Rolex your post made me laugh several times.:lol

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Why I miss McDonald's
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2005, 03:13:08 PM »
Oh yeah... fish tacos are GREAT!

Easy to make at home too...

Been using tilapia or basa filets. Heat a tablespoon of butter or margarine (Benecol for those of us watching cholesterol). Dump a big spoon of your favorite taco spice mix into the melted margarine and stir around. Put in the fish filets and let them cook on medium heat. Turn a few times to coat with the taco spice. If they don't look "red" enough, add spice as needed.

When they just begin to flake, pull 'em off. Slap them in a hard or soft taco shell, cheese, sauce, lettuce, tomato.... can't be beat.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Why I miss McDonald's
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2005, 03:14:03 PM »
Oh, and Rolex... if you need a "CARE package" of Mexican spices/sauces, shells, etc.... give a holler. Used to take this stuff to Okinawa for my buddies way back when. ;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Why I miss McDonald's
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2005, 06:32:52 PM »
You Bastiges. Stop talking about Mexican food! I've got saliva dripping onto the keyboard.

And if you ever start another smoked ribs or roast thread, Toad, I'm going to fly to flyover country and slap you upside the head with a cold piece of sushi. :mad:

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Why I miss McDonald's
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2005, 08:22:35 PM »
But, if you get that close to him, you could probably just talk him in to smoking up some meat for ya.  Dummy!  ;)
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!