Author Topic: WW2OL Update please?  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
WW2OL Update please?
« on: September 17, 2001, 06:59:00 PM »
I just read on CGONLINE that CRS have started the clock on the 30 days free (ie, in 30 days more you start getting charged to play).

I was wondering where things are at? Have framerates improved enough so my P3-600 is worthy? Is the strategy system in place rankings etc?

p.s. this ain't a troll I am genuinely asking   :)

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
WW2OL Update please?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2001, 08:31:00 PM »
still
crap vulcan........

vrs 1.25 out frame rates still eradict still a game of spawners

oh they have a river boat which can be killed with mgs.........

a total flop

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
WW2OL Update please?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2001, 09:49:00 PM »
I gave it another try Saturday , and deleted it off my hard drive today , after much thought . Ya it's free "yet" but  :mad:

fps , no better , worse in planes .

I got P3 933 , 384 pc600 RAM , Radieon 64 DDR and it hits 9 fps sometimes over ground action 1024 / 768 16bit , 33 at the far airdrome .

I had a beta account , but my youngest bought me the game for Fathers day , if anyone cares to buy it it's for sale for
$20 bucks US , plus shipping . The box it opened but the key is unused also the cd is still wraped with the key on it .
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
WW2OL Update please?
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2001, 11:04:00 PM »
Got the 30 day notice thing today (effective last week LOL!).  I can't help but think that CRS is being backed into a financial corner again.  The irony of the name does not escape me.

AKDejaVu

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jannousiainen.net
WW2OL Update please?
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2001, 01:44:00 AM »
Huh, what game you guys have been playing?

I have been pretty happy with 1.25. Framerate is about 30 almost all the time, sometimes while flying it will drop to 15 for a second.

Computer is TB 1600 + 768 MB + Geforce 256 SDR which gets 3DMark score of 2580. While the processor is indeed fast, the display adapter is 2 year old and below average in todays standards. I was able to fight as tank and trooper with my older Celeron 374 with 320 MB RAM.

Gun boat guns can be silenced with MG fire but is does not usually destroy them. You have to remember that those boats are made from wood.

Spawn limits are not in yet but I hope they will be soon, I think it only needs a server update, not a FE update.

Ranks are in game but they will need some tweaking too.

Stability has increased a lot, I haven't had a single crash with the new version.

Havent flown in AH for months because I have been trying out WWIIOL. It has problems but it offers a feeling of being there like nothing else. Let's hope CRS can keep their boat floating.
jochen Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jannousiainen.net
WW2OL Update please?
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2001, 01:50:00 AM »
Oh yes, I need to emphasize the importance of sufficien amount of RAM. 512 is fine, 768 great!

It seems that WWIIOL texture manager is not up to the task and needs to read textures from disk. If those textures are at RAM the short slowdowns dissappear.

Slowdowns do not affect tanking or trooping, only flying when terrain and objects within visible distance appear quickly.
jochen Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
WW2OL Update please?
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2001, 01:54:00 AM »
CGW rated it 2 stars and the headline was "WWIIOFFLINE."

They made some good points.

Good rag, check it out. The CD included sometimes contains fun demo's.

They need to review AH quarterly I think. It's merits are well worth a 1/4 page update.

--

[ 09-18-2001: Message edited by: Creamo ]

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
WW2OL Update please?
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2001, 08:36:00 AM »
Same story, different day Vulcan. If you have a system with a minimum of twice the box specs, or better yet 3X's, you might enjoy it. If a Quankfesting is your thing.

Look for posts by Kieran, he calls it like it is  :)

Westy

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
WW2OL Update please?
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2001, 10:43:00 AM »
Been trying to play it but can't.

I need to learn how to tweak my system.

I know my p3 733 512meg ram is not good enought to run it.

I know it can't be the code because CRS said it wasn't.

I know it has to be me because the 5 people that can get on keep telling me so.

OK OK I'm being a little sarcastic but in truth some people can get on with no problems while a large portion cannot.

I really like this game when it works but since the last patch I cannot play.

Here..<hands Vulcan a 10 foot poll>
You can try it if you want but I would use this.
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
WW2OL Update please?
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2001, 11:07:00 AM »
Yep, 1.25 did nothing but add yet another tank and flying boats, and it was claimed to fix bugs..and it didnt.

Dont want to sound mean or anything, but CRS is one company I hope does go under. The horrible way they treat costumers, the lies, the rip offs and their mediocre product is something that should not be allowed to continue , it would only encourage other companies to do the same.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
WW2OL Update please?
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2001, 11:55:00 AM »
I played it this weekend for the first time since 1.2, hoping they had squashed some bugs.

1) FPS in aircraft is still appalling.
2) Still uncapturable flags.
3) Strategy system is non-operational
4) No resource system
5) The guns on the Char seem to be made of paper.
6) Still very few infantry to be seen - life expectancy is about 5 minutes, and generally less.
7) Rank system is non-existant/unrealistically tough.
8) Sound effects are bugged to hell.

Basically, virtually nothing has changed, albeit for a few cosmetic touches. I don't know why anyone would pay a monthly subscription for it, but good luck to them all the same.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
WW2OL Update please?
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2001, 12:04:00 PM »
I wish them well, but I deleted my beta copy off my PC over the weekend.  FPS is still an issue with me and there just is not enough to hold my interest at present.  I couldn't see paying for it in a couple of weeks.

I do intend to monitor http://www.hq.wwiionline.com/  and keep up with things though.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
WW2OL Update please?
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2001, 02:08:00 PM »
Thanks guys... I can't afford a 1.4+Ghz CPU right now so I guess AH is the game for me   ;)

(quietly backs away from ww2ol webpage)

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
WW2OL Update please?
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2001, 01:54:00 PM »
This pretty much sums it up, about WWIIOL and any game(From the ww2ol board):

Take a look at the economy and then look at greats now. Programs are getting ever bigger and more complex, taking large teams of people years to complete. Time is money. And money is hard to find outside of the "big boys" who hardly ever take a gamble.

If you think he is wrong, I have to ask you, where are the developers of some of my favorite games? Where is Janes, Spectrum Holobyte, Dynamix? What happened to UO2? Where is Kesmai and Air Warrior 4? Why does EA pour more development into the console over the PC platform when the PC platform is what put them in the business in the first place? What was the last submarine game you played? For me, Silent Service and Janes 688 are still the kings there. If you are a serious racer, you cant touch the Nascar series or Grand Prix Legends for cars that really act like cars! And GPL is over 3 years old! I read some stuff from the papyrus guys who said Sierra wont let them do another Grand Prix series. Why? Because GPL was too hard for us to drive and it didnt sell well enough when compared to the other cookie cutter titles we bought. Of those I listed above, only Nascar 4 is current.

B17 II was rushed out the door before it was finished because of money. Same with Flashpoint. Do you really believe that either of those developers wanted to release games with terrible or non-existant net code when they see the thousands of people playing together on gamespy or the zone?

Its all the same. The only measurable difference is in degrees. We are all in the same boat except for one thing... No matter how long you want to support any of the above as a player, those developers have already, or will quit supporting those titles, let them stagnate, and move or have moved on to the next several year long project. We will be supporting and growing the WWII Online "world" indefinitely. As long as we have the support to do it.

We have apologized time and time again for the problems that we are experiencing and for the fact that we have not met many of your expectations. No matter what we do, we cannot change the past. What we can do is acknowledge the problems and fix them. With enough time and support, we can and will far exceed those expectations. On the other hand, as we meet and exceed those expectations, I fully expect you guys to grow enough new ones to keep us on our toes.. :)

WWIIOL for all its warts and blemishes, offers something special. The first and only realistic historically based (I know, too many tanks... fixed before pay) combined arms battlefield experience.

I know you all have been there and seen the sparkle either playing with your friends or alone. The adrenaline rush and/or cold sweats when the shells and bullets are flying. When you know that there is no possible way your gonna survive this, and somehow through some miracle you do. Or even when you dont make it, but your last minute sacrifice made the play for your team. Otherwise I cannot see a logical reason for the emotions to run so high when the damn thing CTD's, or "lags" your plane into the ground. Its frustrating as hell for you and for us.

Why did it go out earlier than we wanted it to? Simple. So that we could keep it alive. Why go pay to play now? Slice it, dice it, cut it with a side angle grinder, it still boils down to the same thing. To keep it alive. We see no other alternative. If you have any better ideas on how to do this, we would love to hear them.

The point I am trying to make, is that all frustrations aside, we are all on the same side. We want the exact same things that you do!!! Blitzkrieg is not the WWII game that is in the WWII Online design doc, it is only the beginning. The first and by far, hardest step in finalizing the system designs and cleaning up the code so that we can move on to gameworld and weapon expansion utilizing said systems. And we are sooooo damn close!!! Its not about getting rich off of subscriptions (fat chance although that probably would be cool), its about paying the bills and employing the needed human resources so the programmers can keep fixing and adding to the game. And to keep the bandwidth and servers going so that we all have a cool MM WWII world in which to use our new "toys" against each other on the bloody field of battle.

In a few days, the fate of this massively multiplayer WWII game will be in your hands. Your support or lack thereof will keep it going or kill it. And I am willing to bet my last dollar that if you plan on waiting for another one, be prepared to wait another 3 to 6 years. I dont know of any other "professional" developers that currently happen to have one hiding in their back pocket.

I dont want to wait for another one either. I subscribed my anonymous account yesterday. Every little bit helps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rodney "Hatch" Hodge
Playnet\CRS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
WW2OL Update please?
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2001, 03:15:00 PM »
Hmmm what that says to me Gadfly is that CRS have gone cap in hand to the users   :(  

Looks like WW2OL will be a dog on my machine, so I'll give it a miss. Good luck to CRS, they have had almost 3 years to get it right.