Author Topic: what do you cook?  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
what do you cook?
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2005, 08:56:30 AM »
Originally posted by Seagoon
Hi Storch,

Mojo Criollo has been the most common marinade in our household for many years, and as you have mentioned can do wonders on even the poorest cuts of meat (I've also used it with good results on venison).  

- SEAGOON

SEAGOON, if you can get your hands on a bottle of Stubbs marinade where you live, give it a shot.
  I was never much into commercial marinades. I usualy made my own, but I was in a rush recently and grabbed a bottle of this stuff for a pork tenderloin.
  I`m hooked now. This stuff really rocks. The flavor from this marinade goes all the way through.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
what do you cook?
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2005, 10:19:33 AM »
Grilled Chicken Fillet topped with melted Montery jack cheese and fried alost black onions sandwiches on hardrolls

Steak on the grill

Steak sandwiches (been known to sacrifice a london broil for this)

Hot Itallian sausage sanwiches made in my cast iron fry pan.
Now THIS is good.

Large sub (hoagie) rolls
Onion
1 clove garlic
1 Green and/or red pepper
Wine
Hot Itallian sausage

Blob of butter in pan. add sliced onions and let that sauté over high heat for a while.
While thats happening Take a clove of garlic, smash it flat witht he side of your knife then chop fine and set aside.

Slice length wise about halfway through the sausage so you can fold it open

Toss garlic in pan and saute' a few seconds then add sausage flat side down.

Pour in about 1/4 cup of wine and cover.
Reduce heat to about a low medium heat and cook for about 15 min.

In a pinch I have even used some of my kids 100% joice box type drinks in place of wine. Works just fine.

While thats happening I slice up the pepper and add that the pan recover about 5 min before its all done (about 20 min total)

Turn off heat put sausage in roll and plop the peppers,onions and whats left of the juice on top.

aint exactly heart smart but it sure is good eat'n
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
what do you cook?
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2005, 10:54:33 AM »
Grilled cheese sandwitches, all varietys. I like to add pepperoni, ham slices, bacon.. mmmmm. I like them so much I keep one of those grilled sandwitch makers (like a george foreman.. but not) on top of the mini-fridge in my closet.

I'll also deep fry anything. Steak, pork, turkeys, twinkies, candy bars... good stuff.

If I get the time though, and I'm not buying for a bunch of others, I try to stick with Buffalo meat. Burgers, chicken fried steaks, I put it in my chili. I like the gamier taste a bit better & it's healthier than beef.

When it's time to feed a bunch of people, I cook alot of italian. Seems like recipes made to feed armies. Alfredo chicken rolls, baked ziti, veal cutlets, lots of garlic bread...

damn I'm hungry.

Offline Phaser11

• Silver Member
what do you cook?
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2005, 11:10:53 AM »
Pheasant
Quail
Ruffled Grouse
Rabbit
Squirl
Venison (White Tail)
Sides as required.

Of course that is if no one is home. If my sons are there I have to share it with them! :mad:
Phaser11,

"Long time we no get drunk together nathen"
"Silence! I kill you"

Offline ChickenHawk

• Silver Member
what do you cook?
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2005, 11:55:23 AM »
Originally posted by Boroda

On-topic: Pelmeni! "Only dogs like pelmeni without vodka!"

For MP-something: "Pelmeni" is a word that is translated from Russian to English as "pelmeni". Or maybe "pelmen's". It's a traditional Russian (mostly Siberian/Uralian) dish, made of grinded meat (pork and beef mixed) wrapped in dough, the size of a... hmmm... how to explain it... just a size that fits into your mouth or less. It's boiled and served with sour-cream. In Russia it's sold frozen, you only have to throw it into boiling water and in 10 minutes you have a hot tasty meal.

I grew up eating Pelmeni.  My family on my mothers side is Russian but it's been three generations since anyone has lived in Russia.

We always ate our pelmeni dipped in vinegar and soysauce.  I'm curious how it's eaten in Russia.  Do you dip it in anything?

Oh yeah, when the wife's gone it's all about omelets, instant soup and lots of mac & cheese.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 12:30:35 PM by ChickenHawk »
Do not attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, fear, ignorance or stupidity, because there are millions more garden variety idiots walking around in the world than there are blackhearted Machiavellis.

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
what do you cook?
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2005, 11:59:36 AM »
Pork tenderloin, with my own special dry rub. Pop it in the oven. While it's cooking I microwave a couple potatos, make a salad and I'm good to go. The leftover tenderloin makes great sammich's the next few days.:aok

Offline Manedew

• Silver Member
what do you cook?
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2005, 12:53:24 PM »
here's fairly simple meal you guys might like  (could giv eyou some more complex things, but you guys said you aren't much of chefs, and want fairly simple stuff.  

Beef Stroganoff- created by a french chef for visting russian nobility.

In stove top pan cook beef sirlion or strip, cut in strips along grain. Add  sea salt, pepper, dash of olive oil and  a bit of wine(red)  before cooking.

Brown beef until most of the pink is gone

-put egg noodles on to boil

Add mushrooms (lots)  and onion (whole small)

when these start to tender add a tiny bit of mustard.

add a bit more wine(just a little, this isn't a wine sauce) ... cook everythign until done

(cook off or drain excess broth, save some to mix with sourcream, but too much and it will be watery)

add sour cream, and make sure sourcream is warmed.

place over a bed of egg noodles, and eat.

well a 'simple' meal for me :D

but I like to cook when I have time.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 12:56:17 PM by Manedew »

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
what do you cook?
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2005, 01:03:24 PM »
Originally posted by Manedew
here's fairly simple meal you guys might like  (could giv eyou some more complex things, but you guys said you aren't much of chefs, and want fairly simple stuff.  

Actually I read somewhere it was created for the nobility because he had few or no teeth and it was made so that he could eat it.

I'll haveta find the cookbook I got that story out of.

One of may favorite meals though. Only I prefer it over rice made with beef broth
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
what do you cook?
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2005, 01:19:39 PM »
Originally posted by ChickenHawk
I grew up eating Pelmeni.  My family on my mothers side is Russian but it's been three generations since anyone has lived in Russia.

We always ate our pelmeni dipped in vinegar and soysauce.  I'm curious how it's eaten in Russia.  Do you dip it in anything?

Oh yeah, when the wife's gone it's all about omelets, instant soup and lots of mac & cheese.

Vinegar is a traditional thing for pelmeni, a vinegar bottle was on every table in every "pelmennaya" (pelmeni house, one portion - 33 kopeykas) in Soviet times, but I prefer sour-cream mostly because I am half-Ukrainian. Soy sauce was almost unknown in USSR, we had some from North Korea sold in stores, my family usially had a bottle, but not for pelmeni. It was the only product from DPRK I have ever seen here... And it was the best soy sauce I haveever tasted, different local stuff is a crap, Vietnamese-made sauce is a little better, even the home-made sauce made by Koreans who sell Korean food in the marketplaces is worse, and it's whoopee expensive.

I have relatives who lived in Urals (Sverdlovsk) for many years, and then moved to Moldavia (Kishenyov) and then to Crimea. They made pelmeni themselves, and it was muuuch better then the best frozen stuff we have in stores now. They also made hominy (mamalyga, Romanian/Moldavian dish) that comes with a dozen or more different sauces, and they used that sauces with Pelmeni.

People eat pelmeni here in Moscow with any sauce including ketchup or mayo. But I always prefer sour-cream.

In my family with Ukrainian mother we had more "vareniki" then pelmeni. Vareniki are bigger then pelmeni and stuffed with curd, potatoes or even cherries. They are eaten with sour-cream. I really miss home-made vareniki, the frozen stuff sold here is a "katsap"/muscowite profanation: katsaps don't understand that curd must be salty, not sweet like baby-food. Even in Ukrainian restaurants they serve vareniki stuffed with sweet curd! Vareniki  stuffed with cherries are delicious. They are powdered with granulated sugar, and every varenik has 3-4 cherries inside, and is filled with a hot sweet cherry juice... Mmmm...!!!

People's wisdom: Only dogs like pelmeni without vodka! :D

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
what do you cook?
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2005, 01:26:20 PM »
Originally posted by Manedew

I usually make it a little bit more simple. But Beef Stroganoff with fried potatoes is a tastiest thing ever! Try fried potatoes (I mean not "french-fries" but some potatoes fried on a pan)  instead of silly "egg noodle" - you'll see the difference. The only problem is that it's impossible to explain how to fry potatoes with just a little of vegetable oil in a Russian way :(

I also like to cook liver in sour-cream. Checken or beef liver, sliced as beef-Stroganoff.

And IMHO adding mushrooms to Beef-Stroganoff will kill all the taste :(

Offline Helldvr

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
what do you cook?
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2005, 05:59:44 PM »
Stove Wings, Just some pre cooked chiek nwings, but insanely hot and good, sorta like women? heh

Anyway I also, just make flapjacks alot