Author Topic: An WB3 screenshot you cant complain about...  (Read 3011 times)

funked

An WB3 screenshot you cant complain about...
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2001, 05:20:00 PM »
replying by email  

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 03-24-2001).]

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2001, 07:12:00 PM »
That is some damn nice skin.  It's the very posterchild for customizable aircraft skins.  

These AH vs WB flamefests always crack me up.  Its funny as hell watching people get all bent out of shape when someone thinks his sim of choice--whatever that may be--has been dissed.  Oh, children, children.  

^^ who flies both sims and is looking forward to WB3

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2001, 11:06:00 PM »
 I dont get the skin game at all. The Army went to no small amount of trouble to teach us how to not draw attention. Camo training, dont wear after shave in combat, that sort of thing. The "Im special, shoot me first" art work, sounds like a real bad idea to me.

Offline Azrael

• Zinc Member
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2001, 12:58:00 AM »
The "Im special, shoot me first" art work, sounds like a real bad idea to me.

If you're a soldier it's always a bad idea. But it was different with planes in WWII.

The US bomber fleet was sending up huge groups of bombers together against a foe that had lost air superiority. No need to bother adding extra weight to the planes by painting them olive, and all the fancy colours used on the different BG and FG planes were mainly a recognition aid to ease the task of formation building, additionally it boosted ego.

And previously to the natural aluminium finish used late war, the invasion stripes were added to every allied AC that was about to fly over continental europe. Also not very hideous markings - but they probably prevented some friendly fire accidents which were as dangerous as enemy engagements.

Az

Offline HABICHT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jagdgeschwader54.net
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2001, 06:11:00 AM »
with some Wb and AH people i see at this
board, we will NEVER! have a united (EURO)-con when they are onboard.

i like both(2.77&1.06) and i pay for both!
but the future is WW2ol or Wb3.

i hope to see all of the "normal" pilots from the eurocon last year. was hell of an fun (was 1 of 2-3 with AH in middle of 30+WB pilots).
..but i hope to see some peoples NOT!

wastel
JG3"Udet" WB
9./JG54"Grünherz" AH

MrSiD

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2001, 07:05:00 AM »
Habicht how can you say future is either ww2ol or WB3?

Aces High has developed at a double rate compared to those two.

Offline Ram1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2001, 08:06:00 AM »
Ok I couldn't let this one go.

First of all, when I posed a question on AGW a few months back and asked former AH and current AH and former WB pilots to help differentiate the flight models between the two Sims, the response was surprising to me.

Basically, there are slight differences in FMs but not enough to say whether one is better then the other. Who knows which FM is correct?

Secondly, HS has stated over and over again that WBs FMs are in pretty good shape, the damage model needs work. What they did do for 3.0 from 2.76 or 2.77 is redo the physics model so that more surface area is being modeled (at least that is how I understand it).

So bottom line, FMs are a toss up, some features are better in AH, some in WBs. The key to me, is which SIM comes out with the best STRATEGY for simulating aerial combat, everything else is a toss up IMO.

I have no idea what these companies are thinking along the STRATEGY lines.

Ram1

Originally posted by StSanta:
eye candy is nice, fm is 2.76.

So much for HS statement that we were gonna see something extreme, something we wouldn't be able to understand.

He seems to forget that while he is a programmer, there are people out there in the world, and here, with degrees in physics and aeronautical engineering who know a helluva lot more about the theory than he does.

When they get the FM up to par with AH, it will be a serious threat to AH. But if they keep using 2.76 fm, with the horrible roll inertia modelling, I think it'll appeal mostly to WBII'ers or old WBII'ers.

Offline Ram1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2001, 08:11:00 AM »
Easymo:

The purpose of the skins are two fold.

1. You can create your own skins for offline use to just play around. You can make some interesting and funny pictures that way, but when you fly online all the other players see the default skin.

2. The main purpose is to develop a set of skins that are authentic replica's of the WW2 Squadrons. Once IEN approves the skin it can be placed in the library, so now when you fly and your whole squad selects this skin you are all flying the same one. This means that only your squad or who ever else wants to download the skin will see it. The opposing side will see the default skin, unless IEN changes that.

For example, the 31st Fighter Group has adopted the authentic Red and White striped tail design for the P51D (Yes, its the one that looks like a Candy cane, but its authentic  . We had the artwork done and then got IENs approval for inclusion into the game hopefully at the full WB3 release.

There are many great graphic artists floating around this community. They can do wonders with this stuff.

Hope that helps.

Ram1

Originally posted by easymo:
I dont get the skin game at all. The Army went to no small amount of trouble to teach us how to not draw attention. Camo training, dont wear after shave in combat, that sort of thing. The "Im special, shoot me first" art work, sounds like a real bad idea to me.

[This message has been edited by Ram1 (edited 03-25-2001).]

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2001, 12:33:00 PM »
 Squads huh! Hey, a gang bang warning on the planes sounds good.  I take back what I said.

funked

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2001, 12:37:00 PM »

Who knows which FM is correct?
Me, and the answer is neither.  

sky_bax

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2001, 04:50:00 PM »
"the answer is neither"

Exactly!

Yet..... many of the AH community will scream the AH FM is superior to WB from day 1 dispite all the changes it went thru.

I guess all AH versions were 100% accurate since beta.    

Pro & cons to both. I can list a dozen things the WB FM has that AH lacks. You will rarely see a WBer "put-down" the AH FM. But you will often see an AHer "put-down" the WB FM. What does that tell you? Tells me one community is either more informed or more mature than the other.

PS: Ram1, the striped tail of the 31st FG P-51 may be authentic "looking" and Soul did a great job on it, but not as authentic as my New Addition mustang.    

Hehe, just jaggin ya.    

"Original paint samples were used from the war....."

Official "authentic" Blue baby!    

------------------

Skybax
328th Fighter Squadron
www.352ndFighterGroup.com

"Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney"

[This message has been edited by sky_bax (edited 03-25-2001).]

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2001, 03:49:00 AM »
It would be an great addition to the UBB if the author of each new topic had the ability to lock the thread...

------------------
AH : Maniac
WB : -nr-1-
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

funked

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2001, 07:08:00 AM »

I can list a dozen things the WB FM has that AH lacks.

With all due respect, no you can't.

Tells me one community is either more informed or more mature than the other.

Comments like that are why we still have problems between the two communities.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2001, 08:12:00 AM »

Originally posted by sky_bax:

I can list a dozen things the WB FM has that AH lacks. You will rarely see a WBer "put-down" the AH FM. But you will often see an AHer "put-down" the WB FM.

LOL, Sky, first off, I don't think WB's has modeled  compressibility buffet and transonic drag to the flight model.  Secondly, it was WB's that cast the first stones of FM bashing back in Jan. of 2000 when a few in the WB community went out of their way to slam AH FM, forgetting that indeed this sim had to transgress its FM by tweaking it, something that Pyro and HT said they'd be doing.

Now, I realize just about every poster from WB in this thread has a vested interest of some sort, Lem, yourself, Ram1, etc. all have their hands in the pot over there, so naturally you're going to 'defend' your sim from 'misinformation'...the same that I did on AGW.  Shoes on the other foot now, ain't it?   ...

And funked is correct, my comment about 'cartoonish' was directed to MG, not the WBIII sim...the pics I have seen seem distorted, some models are not scale, but I understand it is beta.  I tried AH .34 but only for a day since it was beta too...took about 3 or 4 releases before I spent any amount of time flying it.  I'm sure WBIII will transgress the same way.

People are going to post their feelings about FM's, Graphics, etc. and there is nothing you can do to change what 'they percieve'.

With that being said, good luck with WBIII, looks like it has potential.

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 03-26-2001).]

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2001, 08:36:00 AM »

Originally posted by sky_bax:
You will rarely see a WBer "put-down" the AH FM. But you will often see an AHer "put-down" the WB FM. What does that tell you? Tells me one community is either more informed or more mature than the other.

Right, those ignorant & immature AH crybabies and their FM bashing.  There are dipshits in both communities who will argue endlessly about which sim is better for no reason other than to say "my sim is better than yours" or "my community is better than yours".

The truth is, the sims are different in some ways and similar in others and when it comes right down to it, your opinion is what makes the difference when choosing which to fly.  And the communities are all made up mostly of guys who have an interest in WWII, particularly in WWII aircraft and like flight sims.  How different could they be?

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!