Author Topic: AI Puffy Ack  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2005, 03:36:26 PM »
I do not want it taken away, I just want it changed because atm it is historically BS. (with all respect to HTC)

I would like it to actually have an effect on bombers who are intent on destroying a base, instead of the current method where the only effect is on people in fighters.

Maybe a solution using the current box method would be to make the flak very innaccurate on a target changing course.  A target that is flying straight and level should get innaccurate fire on the first bursts, but the longer the target continues straight and level, the more accurate the flak gets as the ack box around the target gets smaller.  So if you fly straight and level over a target area for 10 - 20 seconds or so, there is a good chance you will be hit.

That may then have an effect on bombers who are on bomb run, and pork people.  Leaving the ones who enjoy fighting to have fun.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2005, 09:07:45 PM »
Well then....can we make it so the 5 inch gunners have to set the fuses on their shells too?  For historical accuracy of course.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline Mitchell

• Copper Member
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2005, 09:33:04 PM »
The navy had proximity fuses on their flak guns. So it is infact historical.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2005, 12:50:43 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
dedalas: You are completly incorect in your assesment.

HiTech

What part.  The part about the random hits in the box around the plane that you told me about, or about where the safest place to be is?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2005, 01:00:42 PM »
think he means safest place. iirc when he explained how it works, is the size of the hit box depends on your speed and acceleration/deceleration.  So going slow will make you an easier target...... unless of course you happen to be in a 4 engine bomber formation... ;) :D
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2005, 01:11:23 PM »
Originally posted by Furball
think he means safest place. iirc when he explained how it works, is the size of the hit box depends on your speed and acceleration/deceleration.  So going slow will make you an easier target...... unless of course you happen to be in a 4 engine bomber formation... ;) :D

Well, random is random.  If you are in a box and people fire randomly shots around you, chances are they will miss.  Meaning, the shot fired was not ment for you.  If you move however, you increase the chances of meeting the shot.  If it is not safer to stay put, then it is atlist as safe.  Unless, they are not firing complety randomly.  This is just a typical responce from him with no details on how it works.  Just a general you are wrong.  The insults should follow soon.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2005, 01:13:38 PM »
the random shots fall into a virtual box around the aircraft

the faster you are moving, the bigger this virtual box extends around the a/c

so the faster you are going = bigger the box = the less chance you will be hit

at least, that was my understanding on how it works.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2005, 01:31:30 PM »
If you move however, you increase the chances of meeting the shot

This is totaly incorect even if the size of the box was not altered.

Basic probabily theory.

The chances of getting hit remain the same no mater where you are in the box,  I.E. manuvering would neather raise nor lower your chances.

Now as a real note, you are always at the center of the box no mater if you manuver or not, the box is realy just a way of describing what is going on.

But as stated before manuvering or changing speed do increase the size of the box, there by lowering your chances of getting hit when turning or going faster.

And now for the insult:

Ive explained it before (furball understood how it worked correctly) , you obviously have read it (but didn't understand it, nor basic probabilty ) , It is realy is not my job to teach you how things work. But when you make completly inacurate statments I let you know they are incorect so other people will not belive incorect facts.

And finaly letting you in on the way things work (like ack) is not a right on your part. Infact you have crossed the line when you personaly attacked me with.

This is just a typical responce from him with no details on how it works. Just a general you are wrong. The insults should follow soon.

And I would apreciate an apology.

HiTech
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 01:44:53 PM by hitech »

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2005, 02:16:31 PM »
This is totaly incorect even if the size of the box was not altered.

Basic probabily theory.

The chances of getting hit remain the same no mater where you are in the box,  I.E. manuvering would neather raise nor lower your chances.

Now as a real note, you are always at the center of the box no mater if you manuver or not, the box is realy just a way of describing what is going on.

But as stated before manuvering or changing speed do increase the size of the box, there by lowering your chances of getting hit when turning or going faster.

And now for the insult:

Ive explained it before (furball understood how it worked correctly) , you obviously have read it (but didn't understand it, nor basic probabilty ) , It is realy is not my job to teach you how things work. But when you make completly inacurate statments I let you know they are incorect so other people will not belive incorect facts.

And finaly letting you in on the way things work (like ack) is not a right on your part. Infact you have crossed the line when you personaly attacked me with.

And I would apreciate an apology.

HiTech

Not exactly sure what I did not understand about the way it works.  My statement is accurate based on my 'little' knowledge of probability.   Letting people know how the game they pay for works is not really that bad :D

I was really not trying to personaly attack you so I appologize if it came out that way.  As far as crossing the line, well, what line is that?  You do reply that way a lot when you don't agree with a post (and this is not an attack, just an observation).  I would also apreciate an appology for the times you personally attacked me in the past :lol

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2005, 02:26:25 PM »
Dedalos: You switched the discusion from how boxes work to your opion of my behavior. That becomes a personal attack.

As to the other, Im giving up trying to explain it to you other than stating if 1 shell is fired in a 10x10x10 box randomly every 1 sec.

Where you are in that box has no effect on the chances of getting hit.

HiTech

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2005, 02:36:28 PM »
Dedalos: You switched the discusion from how boxes work to your opion of my behavior. That becomes a personal attack.

Appologies for that.  It was not meant that way.

As to the other, Im giving up trying to explain it to you other than stating if 1 shell is fired in a 10x10x10 box randomly every 1 sec.

Where you are in that box has no effect on the chances of getting hit.

HiTech [/B]

We are in total agreement there.  All I said is that by changing places, you increase the chances of geting in the box where the the shell is going to (the assumption is that chances are, the shell was not heading for you to begin with).  You can try it yourself too (yes, I know you don;t have time).  I have never (as far as I can remember) been hit by puff flying slow and straight.  It is always when I am on someones tail (friendly puff hit) or if I am going fast or changing directions.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2005, 02:36:36 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos
If you move however, you increase the chances of meeting the shot.

I think this is where your misunderstanding is.

You are thinking that the aircraft is moving around inside the box, whereas the box remains constant around the aircraft no matter what it is doing, with the aircraft in the middle, the size of this box is determined by the speed / change in speed.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2005, 02:40:52 PM »
I think this is where your misunderstanding is.

You are thinking that the aircraft is moving around inside the box, whereas the box remains constant around the aircraft no matter what it is doing, with the aircraft in the middle, the size of this box is determined by the speed / change in speed.

Did not think of it that way.  I guess it deppends on when the location of the hit is calculated.  If it is not when the guns fire and it is just random explosions in the box then you guys are right.  If the location is calculated when the guns fire then changing direction should make a difference.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2005, 02:47:44 PM »
from the discussion in the last thread, from what i gathered the shells have nothing to do with where they are being fired from.  they just appear in this box.  the shots appear instantaneously so maneuvering has no effect at all (apart from the speed loss)

one of my suggestions in the other thread was to put in a time delay: -

so it would be distance from ack gun = time variable from location calculation to where the shells explode.

so for example, an aircraft flying near a gun 5 miles away, the shells that explode near it would have been calculated 5 seconds ago.  if the aircraft turns in that 5 seconds the shells would land where it would have been - not where it is.

but i dont think that could be coded.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2005, 02:58:50 PM »
from the discussion in the last thread, from what i gathered the shells have nothing to do with where they are being fired from.  they just appear in this box.  the shots appear instantaneously so maneuvering has no effect at all (apart from the speed loss)

one of my suggestions in the other thread was to put in a time delay: -

so it would be distance from ack gun = time variable from location calculation to where the shells explode.

so for example, an aircraft flying near a gun 5 miles away, the shells that explode near it would have been calculated 5 seconds ago.  if the aircraft turns in that 5 seconds the shells would land where it would have been - not where it is.

but i dont think that could be coded.

In that case I am wrong.  I was thinking that the location was calculated when the guns fired.