Author Topic: AI Puffy Ack  (Read 1582 times)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
AI Puffy Ack
« on: July 28, 2005, 04:45:38 PM »
Not a feedback or request... more of a statement but i see no statement parts to this bbs so this is the next best thing.

i hate it.

thank you that is all. :)
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline sullie363

• Nickel Member
      • Birds of Prey
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 06:12:00 PM »
It's more for show really since it never does enough damage to kill you.  At least, it has never happened to me nor have I heard it happening to anybody else.
Birds of Prey Raptors
Birds of Prey Film Making Team
Birds of Prey Trainer Corps

<S> PaulB

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 10:58:11 PM »
I get killed by puffy ack repeatedly. Usually about once every two hours. You have to be able to survive for extended periods of time near an enemy field, you see.

Also, why does the puffy seem to follow me no matter how far I go away from the field despite many closer targets for it to shoot at? What did I ever do to the AI that controls this thing?

Shooting without line of sight isn't cool, either.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 12:18:15 AM »
Originally posted by pellik
I get killed by puffy ack repeatedly. Usually about once every two hours. You have to be able to survive for extended periods of time near an enemy field, you see.

Also, why does the puffy seem to follow me no matter how far I go away from the field despite many closer targets for it to shoot at? What did I ever do to the AI that controls this thing?

Shooting without line of sight isn't cool, either.

I never really got hit by the AI puffy ack until I started flying the PJ about a week ago.  Maybe it goes after the biggest target? :confused:
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 01:33:09 AM »
my motivation to post this was as follows:-

zooming along at about 420mph on deck, clear megadud's 6, pull up into a shallow climb, as soon as i am above 3k, first salvo,   engine out.

bye bye tempest, bye bye 9 kills.

I may be wrong but wouldnt a 350mph or so climbing single engined fighter about 3+ miles from the ack, with many other aircraft nearer to the cv/airfield, be pretty impossible to hit?
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 02:51:51 AM »
The AI ack-ack problem is very well known, since the first AH1 beta version during 1999.

Sometimes it follows you no matter what you do, where you are and no matter if there are nearer and better targets. Below 3K the CV stop firing at you. Often 5K slow level bomber raids on CV get through without damage. Sometimes it gets you at 20K, at 350mph+, while changing altitude and/or maneuvering ....

I guess the AI ack-ack routine is tough to reprogram or they have no time to do it.
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline JB42

• Nickel Member
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 08:39:43 AM »
Oh the best story about AI ack happened to me. Low on fuel and ammo I head East from A38 on the Mindy Map. To try to avoid dectection from enemy airplanes, I fly low through the canyons East of A38 (A38 is the 7k base in the SE corner of the map). So that puts me below and behind the mountain plateau that A38 sits upon. WTF? I'm taking AI puffy ack hits. About 30 seconds later, bam, engine gone. Somehow it fires through mountains and below. LAME!!!!!!!!!!
" The only thing upping from the CV are lifejackets." - JB15

" Does this Pony make my butt look fat?" - JB11

" I'd rather shoot down 1 Spit in a 109 than 10 109s in a Spit." - JB42

Offline SkyTex

• Zinc Member
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 01:22:19 PM »
I had a similar problem. driving a panzer up to a radar factory (forget which map), it's a good 3k climb up the side of a mountain. Im grinding along in 1st gear climbing up and puffy ack starts goin off all around me. the nearest base is almost a sector away where i spawned. no enemy bases within 50 miles. the factory was shooting me with puffy ack through the mountain i was climbing. no line of sight, no way to even arc a shot to hit me. after about 14 direct hits, i finally blow after climbing for so long. I was frusterated and logged at the stupidity of it all.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 02:31:34 PM »
Originally posted by Furball
my motivation to post this was as follows:-

zooming along at about 420mph on deck, clear megadud's 6, pull up into a shallow climb, as soon as i am above 3k, first salvo,   engine out.

bye bye tempest, bye bye 9 kills.

I may be wrong but wouldnt a 350mph or so climbing single engined fighter about 3+ miles from the ack, with many other aircraft nearer to the cv/airfield, be pretty impossible to hit?

This is why you got hit.  HT said that there is a box around the plane and the puffy ack hits randomly around you in that box.  That means that statisticaly, the safest place to be is in your plane flying strait and at a constand slow speed.  Any kind of movement and your chances of being hit increase.  Another way to die in this game that models things acuratly is to follow the bud guy through your friendly ack.  Again, puff will shoot randomly around him increasing the chances of you getting hit, and believe me you will.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 05:46:47 PM »
dedalas: You are completly incorect in your assesment.

HiTech

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005, 05:53:19 PM »
If i remember rightly it takes into account acceleration/deceleration, along with speed. which means, theoretically, that turning does have a slight impact on your chances of getting nailed from 20 miles away.

slower = smaller box the ack shoots into

faster = bigger box

This game would be improved if puffy ack was far less effective versus fighters, and far more effective vs bomber formations - as it was historically.

This isnt a major whine, although it is infuriating when AI puffy ack kills you like this when you are only trying to have fun.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005, 05:57:44 PM »
thank you btw furball for clearing my 6. I got killed by puffy ack the other day and it was terrible. The cv wasn't even close. I nly had 2 kills and a spit but it's the point. I was otd and flying straight and level and i was near my base. I just don't understand :confused: :confused: :confused:

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2005, 06:17:21 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
dedalas: You are completly incorect in your assesment.

HiTech

O/T:-

HT, i just emailed a real video clip to the support@hitechcreations.com account that i thought you might find useful - i think you had some discussions with the community about it.  Check it out.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline AmRaaM

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2005, 01:39:05 AM »
should be more puffy aa, especially at the cities and factories.

want to see it like in the old bomber raid movies, with a sea of black puffs.

puffy aa pretty much useless in this game unless your fly in a straight line for 20 miles and at 120knts.

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
AI Puffy Ack
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2005, 02:46:18 PM »
Got a proxy kill for someone who died to puffy last night after I stalled after killing someone.  Wasn't too bad of a deal in my opinion.  Heck puffy even gave me an A/C hole in FSO one night, I say more MORE!
Who are you to wave your finger?