Author Topic: Even Worse than Beachhead 2000  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Even Worse than Beachhead 2000
« on: June 25, 2001, 09:22:00 PM »
These $19 war games really suck, but they work. This might be a nice distraction for the WWIIOL crowd as they wait for it's completion or till they save up more memory money. (just look at the specs!)

I found it amusing blowing up pillboxes, tanks, and machine gun nests anyway. (City fighting is fun as well.) But it's actually worse than Beachhead 2000.

WWII NORMANDY

In preparation for the most ambitious frontal assault in the history of modern war, the 101st Airborne Division (Screaming Eagles) parachuted behind enemy lines in the predawn hours of June 6, 1944.  The Mission – Prevent German troops from reinforcing those facing the main Allied landing force on Utah Beach and secure the roads inland from the beaches to facilitate the Allied thrust into Europe.  Take your place alongside these men of valor as you battle through 10 missions vital to turning the tide of the land war in the European Theater.  Confront snipers, fortified artillery bunkers, Panzer Tanks and more as you struggle to free Western Europe from the tyranny of the Third Reich.

• Historically Accurate Weapons
• Realistic Damage
• Extensive Missions
• Advanced Enemy AI including
"Fire from Cover"
• Multiple Difficulty settings

• 266 MHz Pentium II  
   processor or faster
• Windows 95/98/ME
• 64 MB RAM memory
• 4x CD-ROM drive
• 50 MB free hard drive space
• DirectX 6 compatible video card
• DirectX compatible sound card

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2001, 09:21:00 AM »
Sorry the game doesn't work for you, I am having a blast every night, along with the several other thousand people playing.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2001, 09:57:00 AM »
Is it multiplayer?   ;)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2001, 10:05:00 AM »
It has the same multiplayer specs as Beachhead 2000. No modem even required!

I've not tried WWIIOL yet Glad... only seen screen shots, and heard the screams actually.

When it's complete, or playable, I'll be right there to play the tank driving sim.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2001, 10:23:00 AM »
define playable.   ;)

Complete?  it'll never be complete, hopefully just like Aces High will never be complete!!  

hehe, I won't cheerlead WWIIOL.  Unless you got extreme patience and tolerance, don't play the game!  Seriously!  It's just a nice diversion for me from AH, but not with the planes.  *shivers*
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2001, 10:30:00 AM »
Oh it is very playable, but you have to have RAM.  There is a lot lacking, but hey, AH is only 15% complete per Pyro.

It really is fun, if you can run it you should try it.  I see a bunch of AH guys in there(as well as a bunch of WB guys).

The caveat is that I don't fly in the game much, WB is still a much better flight sim(as is AH).

But for heartpounding infantry, Tank or AT action, it is the best game ever built, by far.  And yes, I have played all of the boxed war games, they do not compare.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2001, 10:45:00 AM »
"Playable" as in it will be something I look fwd to for a online fix of fun, without big hassles.

You know-  Stable online play, great framerates, frequent action (within reason tied to the simulation / gameplay concessions.) Stuff like that.

WWIIOL isn't there, I dig the idea though and will throw them money if they ever figure it all out.

Thing is, AH by that time will have all new toejam and it's way to fun now. I can fund the money no prob, its wether WWIIOL can find better gameplay for my time.

Should be interesting at least.

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2001, 11:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Gadfly:
....but you have to have RAM...

Ugh....nevermind.  If it requires him[/i] then I will pass.   ;)

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2001, 01:02:00 PM »
Creamo, I haven't had a single, not one, CTD.  The frame rate is great for ground action(20-35), and you can have instant fighting at anytime, or the world is big enough to manuver and set up your own fight.

If you haven't played it, why do you assume those things?

I think the problem is that there are 10,000 sniviling little twits that don't know watermelon about thier own computer, and find it easier to piss and moan rather than try and clean their system up so this cutting edge game will work.

My system ain't a flamethrower, by any means, either:

I use the Durion for WB and WW2ol, the PII350 is for RW and icq.

[img]

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2001, 07:35:00 PM »
If you haven't played it, why do you assume those things?

Gad...come on. Thousands of posts, reports, screenshots and reviews by folks playing the game contradict your experience and I somehow can't assume it's has the problems I mentioned?. Blah- I haven't tried gay sex either but was able to form a intelligent conclusion it's not for me without trying it out..
  :eek:

As I got reports from several guys in the Beta testing it saved me the cash buying the game but I was REALLY waiting for the release, inevitable 1st couple patches, and the communtiy reaction. Have you read the boards over there? Yikes-

And also, I doubt any little "twit" stands a chance "cleaning up" a system to run WWIIOL smoothly in it's current state. Only because I can't see where they would get the money to put together a respectable machine if they are in fact young twits. I work full time and it's a bit of a pinch in the budget to keep my computer up to date.

I do think your computer system is fantastic, and that's a pretty neat chart too. I just think it would be better to post that in a "Look at my cool bellybutton computer" thread, than display it here as a WWIIOL argument. It's actually counterproductive to it anyway as I think that's a bit much to run a game of WWIIOL's graphics. Your also the first person I ever saw have 512 Meg of memory in their machine. Good lord what for?

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2001, 08:00:00 PM »
uhm I have 512mb in my pc; When I converted some old LP's to CD's I found 256mb little "short" when I had to filter some noise out of my old records.

ps: I just played wwiiol about 5 hours without any problems  :)

screenshot

Offline Professor Fate

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2001, 09:31:00 PM »
I've played wwiiol and still do and as long as I stay on the ground I do ok, get up in the air is fine too until a furball with more than 3 or 4 in it then FPS goes wild jumping all over from 25-30 to 1-10 at times looking like a real slow slide show it seems worse yet when around the river dividing east and west, completely unplayable.  Got 256RAM supposed to be ample according to CRS, apparently not or maybe prob on their end I don't know (rode the short bus to 'puter school).  But I'm sure as heck not gonna go out and spend 100 dollars to upgrade my system for a game thats supposed to work just fine with what I have.  I'll spend it here instead   :)

But I've pissed away money on worse things than wwiiol so I'm not totally unsatisfied heck it was only 29 dollars at Best Buy.  I remembr when I smoked I was burning 30-40 dollars a week to support that habit.  Even more when I drank like a fish   :)

[ 06-26-2001: Message edited by: Professor Fate ]

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2001, 11:01:00 PM »
Well, I have helped too many twits that cried because this wouldnt work, that wouldnt work, and when I check their system, they have anywhere from 5 to 20 programs running in the background, 15%+ fragmentation and 3 or 4 errors on startup from them playing around where they don't know what they are doing.

Computers are not baby bottles, why would you not treat them like any other tool.

As a saying in my business goes, "Piss poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine".

In simple language, it is not the software in most cases, it is the system.  This applies to all games, WW2OL is just more demanding than older games, but the same thing happened when AH was released.

As proof of this, ipso facto, it runs on my system.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2001, 06:22:00 AM »
I get good frame rates on Operation Flashpoint.

I have WWIIOL, but it's unplayable. And will be for another 6 months, til I get a 1.3ghz, 512+mb machine.

I didn't like the fm very much, seemed quite gamey and I dinnae like the e retention.

Tanking and being an infantryman was very amusing.

It's very amusing in OF too  :).

When there's a huge increase in required hardware, I expect a reward of some kind. With WWIIOL, I can feel and *tell* that the poor sods doing the coding have been working 18 hour days, doing their best.

Knowing that the stupid management won't give them the time to do it the way they want. As a consequence, they've been unable to optimize their alogrithms. This is not uncommon in the business I hear; hell, we did that with our project when time was running out. A few bad algorithms can really slow a computer down.

Anyhow, I don't feel I get the reward in terms of better graphics, higher fidelity fm etc. what I get is a massively multiplayer game set in WWII. I'm ready to pay for that, too, but I just have to have the money first.

With OF, AH and soon IL-2 and TK (which will kick arse), I can live without WWIIOL for a while.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2001, 06:37:00 AM »
I've had plenty of CTDs ((tm) CRS). I runs like crap on my system.

I have 256Mb PC133 RAM, a P3-600EB, Geforce 2MX.

Now am I one of those twits? ... wait - before you answer: I have 13 years in the PC business; I'm a CCNA and CCDA; I'm qualifed on 3Com and Allied Telesyn gear as well; I still use DOS commands  :) I was brought up on CPM.

Sorry, but these 'twits' are the not the users <looks in the direction of a certain group of programmers>.

Originally posted by Gadfly:
Well, I have helped too many twits that cried because this wouldnt work, that wouldnt work, and when I check their system, they have anywhere from 5 to 20 programs running in the background, 15%+ fragmentation and 3 or 4 errors on startup from them playing around where they don't know what they are doing.

Computers are not baby bottles, why would you not treat them like any other tool.

As a saying in my business goes, "Piss poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine".

In simple language, it is not the software in most cases, it is the system.  This applies to all games, WW2OL is just more demanding than older games, but the same thing happened when AH was released.

As proof of this, ipso facto, it runs on my system.