Author Topic: <S> to a brave man  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
<S> to a brave man
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2005, 02:07:56 PM »
Hi Falcon,

Originally posted by FalconSix
Saddam wasnt a Caliph, Saddam was doing what you say we should be doing to these religious fanatics. Funny how what goes around comes around.

Not quite. After the fall of the Taliban in Afghanistan, Al-Zarqawi fled to Iraq where he was welcomed by Saddam. In 2002 he underwent free surgery in a Baghdad hospital. Beginning in 2002, Zarqawi began establishing Al-Qaeda cells in Baghdad and acquiring weapons from Iraqi intelligence officials.

This is in addition to Saddam's payment of cash awards to Hamas suicide bombers in Israel and his allowing of groups like Al-Ansar to establish training camps (including one camp which had a 707 body for use in Hijack training).

Saddam was happy to help and use Islamic militant groups if their aim was to attack Israel or the western powers. The only Islamic militants Saddam didn't care for were the ones opposed to him and his government. Mostly amongst the Shia majority.

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline FalconSix

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
<S> to a brave man
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2005, 03:18:26 PM »
Sure Seagoon, I hear you say that. No one has ever been able to post any supporting evidence though, so I reserve my right to call BS.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
<S> to a brave man
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2005, 04:05:04 PM »
The administration seems to be out of the loop on the strong Iraq al-Qaeda connections Seagoon. Of course, there are strong connection in Pakistan, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia (of course), Sudan and a handful of other countries. Clear connections. But, we picked Iraq, a secular Stalinist dictatorship as the target.

But the report of the commission's staff, based on its access to all relevant classified information, said that there had been contacts between Iraq and al Qaeda but no cooperation. In yesterday's hearing of the panel, formally known as the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States, a senior FBI official and a senior CIA analyst concurred with the finding.

The staff report said that bin Laden "explored possible cooperation with Iraq" while in Sudan through 1996, but that "Iraq apparently never responded" to a bin Laden request for help in 1994. The commission cited reports of contacts between Iraq and al Qaeda after bin Laden went to Afghanistan in 1996, adding, "but they do not appear to have resulted in a collaborative relationship. Two senior bin Laden associates have adamantly denied that any ties existed between al Qaeda and Iraq. We have no credible evidence that Iraq and al Qaeda cooperated on attacks against the United States."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47812-2004Jun16.html

Since it began talking about invading Iraq, this administration pushed two main lines of argument as justification. First, Iraq needed regime change because the government there was amassing or had amassed weapons of mass destruction. Second, Iraq was likely to use those weapons against the US or sell them to someone who would because it was part of the Al Qaeda-led jihad against the United States.

With the first argument largely discredited, the White House is holding on tenaciously to the second - tenaciously, but carefully. For the past year members of this administration have been dancing along the line of connecting, but not completely connecting, Al Qaeda and Iraq.

There are numerous examples, but one of the best is Cheney's comment on "Meet the Press" last September. "If we're successful in Iraq," he said, "we will have struck a major blow right at the heart of the base, if you will, the geographic base of the terrorists who have had us under assault now for many years, but most especially on 9/11."

Parse that carefully and you'll see he is 100 percent correct. If the US brings a stable democracy to Iraq, it will strike a blow at "the heart" of "the geographic base" of Islamic terrorism: the Middle East. But the wording, if you will, leads the reader or listener to more dramatic conclusions, particularly when the "9/11" is added in there. They are led toward the idea that Iraq and Al Qaeda are working together.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0622/p09s01-codc.html

NEW YORK - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said in a speech that he knew of no clear link between the al-Qaida terror network and Saddam Hussein, although he later backed off the statement and said he was misunderstood.

Asked to describe the connection between the Iraqi leader and the al-Qaida terror network at an appearance Monday at the Council on Foreign Relations, the Pentagon chief first refused to answer, then said: “To my knowledge, I have not seen any strong, hard evidence that links the two.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6180176/

Reports undercut Iraq, al-Qaeda link

WASHINGTON — U.S. Sen. Carl Levin, D-MI, has released formerly classified documents indicating that the intelligence community never believed there was a link between Saddam Hussein’s regime and al-Qaeda, undercutting pre-Iraq War claims by top U.S. officials.

Specifically, the documents undermine the Bush administration’s claims about Iraq’s involvement in training al-Qaeda operatives and a Prague meeting between 9/11 hijacker Mohammed Atta and an Iraqi intelligence officer in April 2001, Levin said in a statement.

“The intelligence community did not believe there was a cooperative relationship between Iraq and al-Qaeda, despite public comments by the highest ranking officials in our government to the contrary,” he noted.

In December 2001, Vice-President Dick Cheney claimed that Atta’s Prague meeting was “pretty well confirmed.” But a June 2002 CIA report says, “Reporting is contradictory” and “we have not verified his travels.”

In October 2002, Pres. Bush said, “We’ve learned that Iraq has trained al-Qaeda members in bomb-making and poisons and deadly gases.” However, a June 2002 CIA report, “Iraq and al-Qa’ida: Interpreting a Murky Relationship,” concluded: “[T]he level and extent of this assistance is not clear.”

During the same month, a National Intelligence Estimate on Iraq’s weapons programs said much of the information on Iraqi training and support for al-Qaeda was “second-hand” or from sources of “varying reliability.”

In January 2003, the CIA said the reports of training were based on “hearsay” and noted that “the most reliable reporting to date casts doubt on this possibility.”

Levin, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, requested the documents’ declassification in April 2004 as part of his minority inquiry into Iraq intelligence failures.http://www.vermontguardian.com/dailies/0904/0425.shtml

The specifics you point to have largely been addressed in the past, such as a potential base being in Kurdish territory not under the full control of Saddam Hussein. And even if they are 100 percent accurate, the pale in comparison to the level of support al-Qaeda has received and continues to receive from the countries noted earlier. If your assertions had even a moderate level of hard evidence behind them you would probably hear more discussion from the administration about them - which you don’t. The spin now is that we are fighting the terrorists streaming into the country - foreigners- from outside. The “better there than here” argument, except it’s hard to see what local volunteers fighting for the Iraq jihad has to do with the established foreign cells that already exist - far from the Middle East - and with plenty of foreign based locals to draw from.

As for Hamas, no love lost between Saddam/Iraq and Israel that’s for sure. Israel bombed his reactor and assassinated Gerald Bull who was making his “atomic cannon,” and with justification I’m sure. However, I would be a lot more sympathetic if it wasn’t so easy to find fault with the Likud party and its allies territorial ambitions. Almost seem to be two sides of the same coin, with the regular people caught in the middle. Look at the civilian death toll on both sides - 3 to 1 in favor of the Israelis since 2000. At what point does collateral damage cease to be collateral and become intimidation through indirect fire? Quite a mess, IMO and one that requires a mutual solution, reached in good faith by parties on both sides if at all possible.

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
<S> to a brave man
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2005, 04:23:17 PM »
Hi Falconsix,

Sure Seagoon, I hear you say that. No one has ever been able to post any supporting evidence though, so I reserve my right to call BS.

I hope you'll forgive me if I answer with a "Huh?"

No one has ever seriously disputed Saddam's support for suicide bombers in Israel, heck the families of Palestinian suicide bombers proudly posed with their checks from Saddam. For instance:

If you want an indepth study, compiled by Israeli intelligence of Saddam's support and funding of groups like Hamas in Palestine, check out (note they have the documents and original canceled checks) click
here

Iraq's terrorist training camp was at a place called "Salman Pak." Here's an interview from the decidedly left wing "Frontline" show on PBS with Captain Sabah Khodada a member of the Iraqi military who worked at the camp
Frontline Interview with Sabah Khodada

Here is just part of that interview:

"The people being trained were Iraqis in one group, and non-Iraqis, or foreign nationals, in another?

Non-Iraqis were trained separately from us. There were strict orders not to meet with them and not to talk to them. And even when they conduct their training, their training has to occur at times different from the times when we conduct the Iraqis our own training.

And the foreign nationals, the Arabs who are there, but who are not Iraqis -- what were they like? Were they Egyptians, Saudis? Do you know where they came from?

They look like they're mostly from the Gulf, sometimes from areas close to Yemen, from their dark skin and short bodies. And they also are Muslims. ...

Were they religious?

I don't know exactly because I saw them seldom very [briefly]. But some of them has beards, long beards, which is an indication of being a religious Muslim. ...

So did you find out what kind of training was going on?

I don't necessarily know what kind of training they do, but they were trained exactly at the same locations, and they were trained by the same teachers who were training ... [the fighters for] Saddam. Training includes hijacking and kidnapping of airplanes, trains, public buses, and planting explosives in cities, sabotaging villages, sabotaging houses, assassinations.

And the training also included how to prepare for suicidal operations. For example, they will train them how to belt themselves around with explosives, and jump in a place and explode themselves out as part of the suicidal training. I think the trainings of the Arabs was much harsher, and much stricter, than the training of the Iraqis.

Why?

Because we know that Arabs, non-Iraqis who come to train in these kind of camps, are going to be sent to very dangerous and important operations outside Iraq; not inside Iraq. And they will be conducting very specific operations and dangerous operations in their own cities, or in their own countries, or other countries all over the world. Those Arabs are real volunteers. They come in small numbers, and they come with the intention to do some real suicidal operations. ...

There are other types of training, such as physical training, which we are all familiar with. But there's another kind of special training, which is called "self-confidence training." ... For example, a bunch of the fedayeen will be taken in a helicopter. They will fly them away to an unknown area, and they will be asked to jump out of the plane without knowing if there is underneath them a desert or a house or there's water. But they're supposed to jump. So, they will jump.

Another type of self-confidence training would be, for example, they will pull the pin of a hand grenade, and they will throw the hand grenade from one to another until the last one will throw it in the air and it will explode in the air. Another type of self-confidence training would be, they will put a hand grenade in a pipe, and they will pull the pin and throw it in the pipe, and stand near the pipe saluting the hand grenade until it explodes.

Other type of self-confidence training would be holding a rocket launcher, which is an Army GB-7, and holding it vertically, then shooting the rocket vertically, which is very unusual, but the backfire of this hand grenade will hit the ground next to you. And if you don't have self-confidence, you cannot do it. This is another kind of self-confidence training.

And they trained people to hijack airplanes?

Yes.

For what purpose?

... It has been said openly in the media and even to us, from the highest command, that the purpose of establishing Saddam's fighters is to attack American targets and American interests. This is known. There's no doubt about it.

All this training is directed towards attacking American targets, and American interests. The training does not only include hijacking of planes and sabotage. ... Some other people were trained to do parachuting. Some other areas were training on how to penetrate enemy lines and get information from behind enemy lines. But it's all for the general concept of hitting and attacking American targets and American interests.

Who controlled this operation?

In terms of training, they will train in this special camp. But after this training, they will go in small groups. These small groups are directly connected with Saddam, or to Saddam's son. For example, the Iraqi fighters, they will be spread all over the country. Occasionally those individual groups, very small groups, will be called for. They might encounter different kind of special training beyond this training on specific things. I'll give you an example. They were calling for some of these groups to train intensively to learn English language, Persian language, Hebrew language, to be sent out to different places of the world to conduct such kind of ... different kind of operations. I suspect that the higher level of training, or the additional training they encounter, has a lot to do with what happened. And there's a lot of similarity with what happened with New York and Washington on September 11.

That was your reaction on September 11 -- that some of these people might be involved?

I assure you, this operation was conducted by people who were trained by Saddam. And I'm going to keep assuring the world this is what happened.

Osama bin Laden has no such capabilities. Why? Because this kind of attacks must be, and has to be, organized by a capable state, such as Iraq; a state where they can provide high level of training, and they can provide high level of intelligence to do such training.

How could Osama bin Laden -- who's hiding in the middle of nowhere in Afghanistan in small caves and valleys -- train people and gather information and send people to do such high-level operation? We all know this is a high-level operation. This cannot be done by a person who does not even own a plane in Afghanistan, who cannot offer such training in Afghanistan. This is definitely done by a mastermind like Saddam. ...

And the camp has a 707 that they train on?

Yes, there's a real whole 707 plane, a whole real plane, standing in the middle of the training area in this camp.

And they train people on how to get access to the cabin, to the crew?

Yes.

And how to take over the plane using weapons? How?

They will get trained on how to get weapons inside the plane. If there is a security weakness that they know of, they will prefer to get weapons. But I am sure that, before the attack of September 11, those people made a very thorough study. And they learned that getting weapons into the plane might not be a very good idea. But in this camp, I saw them getting trained on this kind of situations where security will not allow you to get weapons into the plane -- then what you need to do is to use all available methods and very advanced terrorizing method.

These methods are used to terrorize the passengers and the crew of the plane. They are even trained how to use utensils for food, like forks and knives provided in the plane. ... They are trained how to plant horror within the passengers by doing such actions. Even pens and pencils can be used for that purpose they were trained. They can do it, and they can overcome any plane because they are very well physically trained, and they are very strong, and they can do it. They can overtake a plane in a very efficient manner. ...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 04:29:15 PM by Seagoon »
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline FalconSix

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
<S> to a brave man
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2005, 05:24:10 PM »
Iraq gave money to every family that lost someone to the Israelis, not only the families of suicide bombers. As for the interview ... I call BS. The man could very likely be a liar giving this "information" in exchange for leniency. And as  Charon points out, your view is not that of the government, which would benefit greatly if your view was true.

I call BS.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
<S> to a brave man
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2005, 05:34:13 PM »
Those Iraqi defectors are no longer viewed with a great degree of credibility.

Almost immediately after September 11th, the I.N.C. began to publicize the stories of defectors who claimed that they had information connecting Iraq to the attacks. In an interview on October 14, 2001, conducted jointly by the Times and Frontline, the public-television program, Sabah Khodada, an Iraqi Army captain, said that the September 11th operation was conducted by people who were trained by Saddam, and that Iraq had a program to instruct terrorists in the art of hijacking. Another defector, who was identified only as a retired lieutenant general in the Iraqi intelligence service, said that in 2000 he witnessed Arab students being given lessons in hijacking on a Boeing 707 parked at an Iraqi training camp near the town of Salman Pak, south of Baghdad.

In separate interviews with me, however, a former C.I.A. station chief and a former military intelligence analyst said that the camp near Salman Pak had been built not for terrorism training but for counter-terrorism training. In the mid-eighties, Islamic terrorists were routinely hijacking aircraft. In 1986, an Iraqi airliner was seized by pro-Iranian extremists and crashed, after a hand grenade was triggered, killing at least sixty-five people. (At the time, Iran and Iraq were at war, and America favored Iraq.) Iraq then sought assistance from the West, and got what it wanted from Britain s MI6. The C.I.A. offered similar training in counter-terrorism throughout the Middle East. We were helping our allies everywhere we had a liaison, the former station chief told me. Inspectors recalled seeing the body of an airplane which appeared to be used for counter-terrorism training when they visited a biological-weapons facility near Salman Pak in 1991, ten years before September 11th. It is, of course, possible for such a camp to be converted from one purpose to another. The former C.I.A. official noted, however, that terrorists would not practice on airplanes in the open. That s Hollywood rinky-dink stuff, the former agent said. They train in basements. You don t need a real airplane to practice hijacking. The 9/11 terrorists went to gyms. But to take one back you have to practice on the real thing. http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?030512fa_fact

I mean, it's not like these guys were exactly neutral in their desire to see Hussein removed from power and others (mainly themselves) installed in his place. Just look at his buddy Chalabi.

Again, if the link was solid there would really be no need to spin any other message or rationale. None at all...

Charon
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 05:39:29 PM by Charon »

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
<S> to a brave man
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2005, 07:53:20 PM »
Iraq gave money to every family that lost someone to the Israelis, not only the families of suicide bombers. As for the interview ... I call BS. The man could very likely be a liar giving this "information" in exchange for leniency. And as  Charon points out, your view is not that of the government, which would benefit greatly if your view was true.

I call BS.

How exactly is blowing oneself up in a Bus "losing someone to the Israelis?"

My word Falcon, it sounds like you sincerely believe that the West and their Israeli friends are the conspiring villains while the Jihadists are the brave guerilla fighters opposing oppression. Do you even believe in the existence of middle eastern state sponsored terrorism or have we evil westerners been setting up the poor Libyans and Syrians and spreading disinformation? Or maybe it's all the Mossad after all.

In any event, I can't really make any headway against an absolute, "I call BS" argument. It's as unshakeable as the famous "neener, neener" argument and pretty close to being as perfect as "I know you are but what am I."

- SEAGOON

Offline FalconSix

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
<S> to a brave man
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2005, 04:29:17 AM »
Nice way to avoid the fact that your view is totally unfounded. Just keep attacking me and ignore everything Charon has posted. Let me guess, you're a jew right?

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
<S> to a brave man
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2005, 06:43:53 AM »
Hello Falcon,

Nice way to avoid the fact that your view is totally unfounded. Just keep attacking me and ignore everything Charon has posted. Let me guess, you're a jew right?

As Monty Python would put it,  "O what a give away..."

I have to thank you cause I've never before had a chance to use this Icon
 -----> :rofl

Follow the link in my sig anti-semitic friend.

Sorry for not responding directly to you Charon, I'll try to send a response later today.

- SEAGOON

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
<S> to a brave man
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2005, 10:31:51 AM »
This post is to repent of the use of the ROFL icon above. It was highly inappropriate of me to use to indicate laughter at a comment. (I would have edited the above but for the 2 hour time limit). While I'm still mildly appalled at the last line of Falconsix's post, my response was not in keeping with Romans 12:14-21 ruleI strive to live by.

My sincere apologies.

- SEAGOON

Offline FalconSix

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
<S> to a brave man
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2005, 05:00:59 PM »
Why would you be appalled by a simple question like that. Granted it was personal, but still. If you're not a jew then I guess you're a christian fundamentalist, or in other words a jew wannabe. Now, this thread is increasingly getting off topic, so I suggest we leave it at that.