Author Topic: Something to ponder in the Rowe vs Wade decision:  (Read 5413 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Something to ponder in the Rowe vs Wade decision:
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2001, 01:42:00 PM »
Buhd, what Eagler said. In most all sides of the political spectrum , most agree that in case of rape, or medical condition, that abortion is justified.  

"Pro Choice" on the other hand, means for any reason, which, ironically has turned into a birth control option, that is the political debate we see today in the Pro and Anti lobby's...

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2001, 02:21:00 PM »
Heres something to ponder:

It seems alright for a mother to kill her children *as long as* they are in her womb.

Im neither for nor against but I pity those poor souls that feel compelled to kill off their own unborn (rape and incest not withstanding but arent these unborn people innocents just as much as the victim? more to ponder)

Y
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2001, 03:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Yoj:
...this debate is, by definition, not resolvable, since both sides have valid arguments (though each side naturally considers its stance valid and the other's not).  Which is why it MUST be a decision that the society makes.

That is where I disagree. The decision does not affect the society, so it must be left to the mother.
 Of course some people see it as their religious obligation to arrange lifes of others even if they are not asked to, but you cannot really argue religion.
 At least we can be gratefull that at those times they spend their efforts on an issue that hardly likely to affect us personally, rather then on some homicidal crusades, wholesale murder of "heretics", whitch hunts, etc.

miko

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2001, 03:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by SWulfe:
In that case, I have NO idea when a fetus could be considered a human life.
-SW

Why would you ever care to decide that? I assure you you will not have such problem when it is your fetus, so leave the decision to the parents and have one less thing to worry about.

miko

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2001, 03:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by straffo:
and frankly a lonely spermatozoide or ovocyte won't create new life
by itself

Oh, yeah? How about an immaculate conception? Of course that was an egg, not a spermatozoid, but I am sure it would have sufficed.

miko

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2001, 03:46:00 PM »
Which is exactly why I did not make an attempt to decide. It's not my business until it directly involves me.
-SW

Offline Yoj

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2001, 04:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by miko2d:

That is where I disagree. The decision does not affect the society, so it must be left to the mother.
 Of course some people see it as their religious obligation to arrange lifes of others even if they are not asked to, but you cannot really argue religion.
 At least we can be gratefull that at those times they spend their efforts on an issue that hardly likely to affect us personally, rather then on some homicidal crusades, wholesale murder of "heretics", whitch hunts, etc.

miko

Oh I don't think we disagree that much.  The ACT is the mother's decision.  Whether or not the act is SANCTIONED is society's decision.

- Yoj

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2001, 06:20:00 PM »
Does anyone know how big (in$$) the abortion industry is?

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2001, 06:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Yoj:
Oh I don't think we disagree that much.  The ACT is the mother's decision.  Whether or not the act is SANCTIONED is society's decision.

But should the society sanction any act that an individual could undertake with his own body if it does not affect anyone else in the society?
 Not just abortion but drug use, seatbelt's use etc.
 Of course parents can sanction their minor children and supposedly parents could be held responcible for their children safety (like putting seatbelts on them) since children are members of the society too.

miko

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2001, 06:42:00 PM »
But then, isnt *any kind* of birth control (condoms, the pill, etc) murder?.

Daff

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2001, 10:54:00 PM »
i dont understand why a teenager who has a baby and puts it in a dumpster goes to jail for years, but one who kills the baby three monsths earlier is in the clear.

abortion is wrong. hell, i was concieved outof wedlock, but born within  :) What if my parents had decided it was easier just to get rid of me instead of raise me? Well I wouldnt be here ..

I havw a friend whos mom gave him up for adoption .. he never met her.. what if she had gotten an abortion?

I think 100% if the mothers life isnt threatened abortion should be illegal, especially if its a healthy baby.

You're gonna find it kinda ironic, but on the other hand im kinda against all the new extraordinary measures to prevent prenatal fatalities. Using artificial life support to sustain a 4 month premature baby who will never be normal and costs insurance and tax payers hundreds of thousands of dollars doesnt make sense to me.

Think about how many lived could be saved by using the same amount of money on vaccinating children in impovrished countries..

I guess my attitude towards unborn human beings is "dont kill em but if they aren't supposed to be here let em go quietly"

is that hypocritical?

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2001, 02:35:00 AM »

Oh, yeah? How about an immaculate conception? Of course that was an egg, not a spermatozoid, but I am sure it would have sufficed.

miko

ouch !
I won't enter in the debate  :D
It would be too hard for my english  ;)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2001, 08:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Daff:
But then, isnt *any kind* of birth control (condoms, the pill, etc) murder?.

Daff

No.

Offline Yoj

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2001, 10:09:00 AM »

But should the society sanction any act that an individual could undertake with his own body if it does not affect anyone else in the society?
 Not just abortion but drug use, seatbelt's use etc.

miko

Should it?  I don't know.  What human society should or should not do is a question for ethicists to debate in some ivory tower.  The fact is that society DOES determine sanctions.  Abortions didn't begin with Rowe v. Wade - they just became legal (and much safer).  I.e., society removed the sanctions. If it is ever overturned and abortion made illegal again, they won't stop - they will just go back to the backroom butchers.  True, there would be somewhat fewer, but they would go on.  

Essentially I agree with you - I think that if my behavior only affects me then its nobody's business but mine, and if I make bad decisions, I'll live with them.  We both know the real world doesn't work like that.

Offline Yoj

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2001, 10:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort:

No.

Gee Rip - that's pretty absolute.  I think there are people who seriously disagree.