Author Topic: shooting- I need the practice  (Read 883 times)

Offline Big G

• Copper Member
shooting- I need the practice
« on: August 11, 2005, 02:55:54 PM »
Guys,
I'm trying to work out the score thing, I found out that you right click on the name and you can check some stats.
I nearly died when I looked at my shooting score, it was 0.03 % or something like that!!
I'll have to check with fuzeman on this as I obviously need to spend time shooting at stuff, learning to lead and finding out what deflections, snap shots and slashing shots are so I can practice!
Big G :)
AH handle is Big G10

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 02:58:09 PM »
in game looking at scores they are raw nmubers...

if it shows .03563487 you have a 3.563487 % hit percentage

i think average in AH is around 4.5 -5%
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 01:53:10 AM »
Also note that fighter hit percentage includes only hits on aircraft, when you hit the ground, runway, vehicles, aa guns, town buildings or hangars it counts as miss. At least i think its like that.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 08:58:34 AM »
Here's how score is figured out, from the help file: http://www.flyaceshigh.com/ahhelp/scoring.html Too long to cut and paste.
There are more indepth reports of how you do also.
Goto the main page: http://www.flyaceshigh.com/frindex.html and go thru 'Community' and 'Scores', there are options to check many things.

Only thing I know for sure is if you chase a score and play to have a good score opposed to having fun when you play you loose something and it wont be as much fun.
If you put in the time and effort to learn air combat you'll have fun and most likely end up with a relatively good score.

Botton line, if you log off happy because you had some fun your better off than logging off mad because your score isn't good.
I tried a few 'score' tours and it was noticably less fun then when I just played.
Of course I still try to have a better score than you-know-who :)
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline BlkKnit

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 09:29:57 AM »
I find that hit % is a very interesting stat to track.  I mean, heck, I've played at times and thought I was shooting pretty good...only to find my hit % at about 4 %.

Other times I have been as high as 10% (not for a full tour) and didn't really think I had hit that well.

Once a Knight is Never Enough

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 10:13:47 AM »
I can never tell what my hit percentage is gonna be from my game play, either. Sometimes I feel I'm doing pretty good but my score stays low. One way I've found to give my hit percentage a quick boost, assuming I can survive it, is finding a smoking heavy  bomber, or one that for some reason or another isn't shooting back much. Sometimes, if the planes trailing a lot of smoke, you can hide behind the smoke and still see the bomber good enough to hit it.

I really light those planes up, even going beyond what's necessary for a kill at times. With a big target like that, assuming you can get in close, you can put a lot of rounds into the target real fast. I've been surprised how sometimes just one shoot like that can raise my hit percentage.

Of course, I suppose it depends a lot on how early in the tour it is since I suspect your hit percentage consists of all hits vs. rounds fired for the whole month. I know earlier in the month just on good bomber shoot seems to raise my hit percentage two to three points, at least for a little while.

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 11:01:26 AM »
I found most of the reason I waste ammo is because I am too impatient.  Spending time in the TA and using the LCS can help alot in giving you a clue where you need to be shooting based on plane oreintation, G's, etc.  Sometimes its best to judge by the amount of stick deflection, rather than look at the G guage to figure out how much lead to pull.  Effective gunnery, for me, is one of the toughest parts of the game.  By effective I mean being able to put enough bullets into a plane to down it, not just a ping.

Following these steps will increase your hit percentage:
a.) turn off tracers.
b.) practice firing offline (with LCS) to reconize where the bullets will hit.
c.) practice firing in the TA (with LCS), for the same reason as step b.
d.) fire only at or near convergence.
e.) fire only in bursts.
f.)  fire only when you are near convergence distance and recognize where the bullets will hit.

Regards,

Malta

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2005, 11:12:35 AM »
Originally posted by stantond
I found most of the reason I waste ammo is because I am too impatient.  Spending time in the TA and using the LCS can help alot in giving you a clue where you need to be shooting based on plane oreintation, G's, etc.  Sometimes its best to judge by the amount of stick deflection, rather than look at the G guage to figure out how much lead to pull.  Effective gunnery, for me, is one of the toughest parts of the game.  By effective I mean being able to put enough bullets into a plane to down it, not just a ping.

Following these steps will increase your hit percentage:
a.) turn off tracers.
b.) practice firing offline (with LCS) to reconize where the bullets will hit.
c.) practice firing in the TA (with LCS), for the same reason as step b.
d.) fire only at or near convergence.
e.) fire only in bursts.
f.)  fire only when you are near convergence distance and recognize where the bullets will hit.

Regards,

Malta

Good advice!
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005, 11:55:06 AM »
While I, too, think impatience is a problem, I think my biggest problem is firing just hoping for a lucky shot. I keep telling myself I won't shoot unless the target is within 400 meters... well, sometimes 600. I just can't help myself, though, and if I'm behind a plane flying directly away from me I keep trying for lucky hits at 800 meters (sometimes even further, especially if it's a heavy bomber).

I get a few hits at those distances but never enough to even come close to justifying the ammo expenditure. I get regular hits on heavy bombers at up to 1000 meters but, at best, I might draw a little smoke and that's if I last long enough to do that as the bomber gunners don't have convergence to worry about so they usually cut me to pieces before I can cause what little damage the distance allows.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 02:45:12 PM »
Tyger, also be aware that AH2 models the deceleration a round undergoes from air friction. THAT means a hit from 800 will cause MUCH less damage than one from 300, even though the sprite looks the same.

I remember Widewing or somebody posted an analysis of kinetic energy (which causes the most damage at shooting ranges) at various target ranges -- I'll see if I can dig that thread up.

EDIT:
IT was Eskimo2, though widewing chimes in later in the thread:

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5664

Note the conclusion that firing at 1000 meters means the round has lost ALMOST HALF its damaging energy by the time it reaches the target.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline bcee

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2005, 10:34:25 PM »
how do you turn on LCS in ta or offline......thanks

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 04:40:07 AM »
bcee, hit ctrl tab to enable friendly lock. To switch between the planes/icons hit tab again.

I dont think its neccessary, but if it doesnt work, go to setup>arena setup>arena settings and choose FlightModeFlags from the list. Click on Change and check the box LCG.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Re: shooting- I need the practice
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 02:19:09 PM »
Originally posted by Big G
Guys,
I'm trying to work out the score thing, I found out that you right click on the name and you can check some stats.
I nearly died when I looked at my shooting score, it was 0.03 % or something like that!!
I'll have to check with fuzeman on this as I obviously need to spend time shooting at stuff, learning to lead and finding out what deflections, snap shots and slashing shots are so I can practice!
Big G :)
AH handle is Big G10

Some good suggestions mentioned here, I have this to add. When working on your gunnery try not to switch between different mountings. That is to say, stick with planes which have just wing mounted or nose mounted guns. The aiming feel is entirely different, nose mounted guns do not require you to compensate for convergence wing mounted guns do, pick one system and stick with it until you're comfortable. I also recommend you stay away from planes that have mixed gun types, this also complicates gunnery, it distorts your visual feedback cues, you have no idea which are the rounds hitting and missing.

The other thing I cannot emphasize enough, choose a plane with good nose-low deflection view. That is a plane where the distance between the boresight and the visual obstruction of the engine cowling is at least 2cm on your screen (on a 19" monitor). This will allow you to try more shots, see what you are shooting at and most importantly see where you are missing and hitting. Only through you being able to observe positive and negative results in a wide variety of gunnery solution situations can you cultivate your gunnery skill effectively.

Planes like the La7, Fw190s, 109's, Yaks, and even the Spits have horrible nose low deflection views. Planes like the Niki, P51, Typhoon, F6F, 205 and P38 have great nose low deflection views.
You may notice, some of the planes with bad nose low deflection views are some of the easiest planes to fly. But, they are not the easiest planes to gun with. I recommend to any new player, first learn to fly, then learn to shoot. Without being able to fly decently you will likely not live long enough or be able to position yourself for a shot anways. Of course, a few planes are both relatively easy to fly and also easy to gun with, these I would highly recommend to newer players. Planes like the Niki, F6, 205 and P51 for example.

Zazen
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 02:58:57 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2005, 02:37:15 PM »
Originally posted by Mustaine
in game looking at scores they are raw nmubers...

if it shows .03563487 you have a 3.563487 % hit percentage

i think average in AH is around 4.5 -5%

Actually, the average in fighter in the MA is 2.8%-3.3% hit percentage. I did a huge data sampling on this over several camps. It fluctuates only 0.5% camp to camp which is within the margin of error of my samplings. Only 20% of MA pilots achieve greater than 5% hit percentage in fighter, only 5% over 10% hit percentage.

Based on the data I collected I made this subjective Ranking chart just for laughs:

0-2%- Poor Gunnery
3%-Average Gunnery
4-5%-Above Average Gunnery
6-8%-Good Gunnery
9-10%-Excellent Gunnery
11-12%-Marksman
13-14%-Sniper
15%+ -Uber-Sniper

Zazen
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 03:38:55 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc