Author Topic: Blue Screen of Death  (Read 421 times)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Blue Screen of Death
« on: January 14, 2009, 02:01:42 AM »
Alright, this is a new problem, I've never had it with any computer before. About a week ago, my mum did something with the computer. She SWEARS she was just checking her e-mail, but ever since, im lucky if the computer even starts, and then it always Blue Screens within 30 minutes. There is no pattern of what exactly I am doing when I get the blue screen. Tonight, it did it once when I was installing drivers for a new webcam, another time I was  here on the forums, another time I was running a virus scan, and once I was doing nothing at all. I share this computer with parents who are even more computer illiterate than me. I have Vista 32, and have restored the computer to two days before my mum reported her problem, and Im still getting blue screens. Here is my dxdiag if that helps:

Edit: dxdiag exceeds the 1000 char. limit. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 02:03:25 AM by Serenity »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Blue Screen of Death
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 02:23:41 AM »
Post your dxdiag report in smaller chunks.

EDIT: And dont blame mum its probably just a process problem.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 02:32:28 AM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 02:32:43 AM »
Post your dxdiag report in smaller chunks.

I was going to, its about 12+ posts.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 02:39:08 AM »
Probably all we need is the first 1/3 or less.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Heater

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 03:08:39 AM »
Check to see if you have the Dump from the blue screen (look at the date /time stamp on the file).... depending on how the system is setup it will either be a "mini dump"  or a "full dump"
If it's a full dump you can use Zip or Raw to compress it down and then post a link to the file, I will take a look at it to see what is going on....

PS the dump file's will be in the windows Directory, or just search on *.dmp

Cheers
HiTech is a DWEEB-PUTZ!
I have multiple personalities and none of them like you !!!

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 03:33:22 AM »
Check to see if you have the Dump from the blue screen (look at the date /time stamp on the file).... depending on how the system is setup it will either be a "mini dump"  or a "full dump"
If it's a full dump you can use Zip or Raw to compress it down and then post a link to the file, I will take a look at it to see what is going on....

PS the dump file's will be in the windows Directory, or just search on *.dmp

Cheers

I've been taking pics of the Blue Screen with my cell phone for that dump info, and each blue screen seems to be a different kind of dump with a different problem number attached. Ill look for those and try to get the dxdiag. What sections specifically are needed.

P.S. I finally got the computer to roll back to Dec. 25th (It refused to do it earlier saying it couldn't overwrite certain files) and everything seems to run smoothly. I'm still going to get those files as I cannot afford for anything to happen to this computer.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 04:59:04 AM »
90% of blue screens are caused by driver issues.  I'm guessing windows did an update recently on one of your components and that driver really wasn't getting along.  Check to see what updates there are and if any are driver updates.  If there are driver updates, do one at a time to find the culprit, then just ignore that driver update.

Better yet, if you're not having issues with any of your hardware, don't update any drivers! :)
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 07:08:38 AM »
I would start with resetting the BIOS to defaults, then remove and reinstall drivers for MB, Sound, Video in that order.  Then start other drivers if any.  If this does not do it I thnk you need to do a memory test using http://overclocksource.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65:memtest86&catid=21:benchmarkingsoftware&Itemid=11  This is an ISO and is from my website so it is clean.  Do this test with one stick at a time and let it run at least an hour on each stick.  Feel free to contact me for more suggestions.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 11:00:56 AM »
I figured it might be windows updates, so I rolled it back as far before all of them as possible. Ill have time to go into more detail when I get home, but I have to rush off to school now. I just wanted to add a symptom. When I first tried to turn on the computer this morning, it wouldn't start, the tower just gave off three long, solid beeps, and didn't do anything else. I opened the computer up (Because this has worked with a similar problem in the past) one-by-one removed all cards and plugs, cleaned the connectors with compressed air, and replaced them, and it started up fine the next time.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 02:55:41 PM »
I figured it might be windows updates, so I rolled it back as far before all of them as possible. Ill have time to go into more detail when I get home, but I have to rush off to school now. I just wanted to add a symptom. When I first tried to turn on the computer this morning, it wouldn't start, the tower just gave off three long, solid beeps, and didn't do anything else. I opened the computer up (Because this has worked with a similar problem in the past) one-by-one removed all cards and plugs, cleaned the connectors with compressed air, and replaced them, and it started up fine the next time.

Bios beeps indicate a hardware problem. Check your motherboard manual what those beeps mean, might be 'bad ram' for example.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 04:57:42 PM »
Bios beeps indicate a hardware problem. Check your motherboard manual what those beeps mean, might be 'bad ram' for example.
X2 Agreed

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 06:57:45 PM »

Alright, Ill try to dig up the manual. In the past ive had issues with the ram, all I did was take it out put it back in, and everything was fine. That seems to have worked again...