Author Topic: Engine efficiency  (Read 194 times)

Offline JTs

• Nickel Member
Engine efficiency
« on: August 21, 2005, 09:28:01 PM »
Gentlemen:
does anyone know the formula for determining the volumetric efficiency of an internal combustion engine? thanks for your help
JT

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Engine efficiency
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 09:51:53 PM »
Simple, it's the inverse square of the sexiness of the motor.  The sexier the engine, the lower the mileage.  

The Geo Metro 1 liter, three cylinder engine is not sexy, but it has tremendous efficiency.

A Goat with the 389, sexy.  Poor mileage.

Ipso facto gaso.

Glad I could help!
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Engine efficiency
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 10:34:18 PM »
You need to compare the actual volume of the fuel / air flowing into the engine with the theoretical volume the pistons displace in the same time.

Its just a simple ratio, actual intake volume flow / theoretical displacement volume.  

Measuring the intake flow will be the tough part.  

Get Engine Analyzer Pro it will help you out.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Engine efficiency
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 10:41:36 PM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
You need to compare the actual volume of the fuel / air flowing into the engine with the theoretical volume the pistons displace in the same time.

Its just a simple ratio, actual intake volume flow / theoretical displacement volume.  

Measuring the intake flow will be the tough part.  

Get Engine Analyzer Pro it will help you out.

I'm convinced that Holden knows more than a little bit about EVERYTHING.
sand

Offline JTs

• Nickel Member
Engine efficiency
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 11:03:04 PM »
Chairboy: 3406E Cat  not very sexy only 3.5mpg sometimes i can get 4mpg but need a 50 knot tailwind.

Holden McGroin: sent them an email and will stop by their shop in albuquerque.

Sandman: one of these days when i've got time i'll stop in mojave and give you a ride in this thing.

2003 KW900L
3406E Cat 800hp to the ground
main trans 18spd od
aux trans 4sp double od
rear ends 3.55
theoretical top speed 157
but she will pull Hwy 58 from bakersfeild at the legal speed limit weighing 40 tons