Author Topic: Keep on shooting at those 'copters  (Read 5256 times)

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Keep on shooting at those 'copters
« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2005, 10:11:52 AM »
Lazs quit trying to make this a gun thread again. It's not about that is it?

Its about a major disaster with huge loss of life and what is going on as a result.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2005, 10:20:53 AM »
Ok... it's not a gun thread... pretend there are no guns there... In fact... why don't yu pretend that you don't even know what the word guns means?   Not far from the mark since you know nothing of our constitution or culture...  Or any gun culture...why not just butt out?

lazs

Offline mosgood

• Silver Member
« Reply #137 on: September 02, 2005, 10:39:24 AM »
Of course this is a terrible disaster and it is also a lightning rod for the gun issue.  

I can't believe that the looters and gangs running around with guns... wouldnt be doing the same thing with knives or clubs if they didn't have guns.  It's not the guns that makes people who they are.  These people are going to attack with whatever they can.  

And if it's a knife, club or bare hands, it also comes down to physical attributes that aggressors sometimes have an upper hand at.  Guns in the hands of normal citizens are an equalizer... period.  If they weren't there, normal citezins would be outclassed in most cases.

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #138 on: September 02, 2005, 11:09:40 AM »
Difficult to chop down a helicopter with a knife!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #139 on: September 02, 2005, 11:17:50 AM »
sheesh... we are talking about riots and looting and shooting and we are not supposed to mention guns?

Let me ask you all this...

Do you think that Americans watching what is happening down there will want to turn in their guns or do you think that more people will want to get guns?

will more guns be sold after this or will more people give up the ones they have?   will the ration remain about the same?   will the government want less or more gun restrictions?  

I guess I am trying to say... who will the government be "protecting"?

Will gun owners give up their guns after watching this or will non gun owners go out and buy firearms in record numbers?

lazs

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #140 on: September 02, 2005, 11:46:25 AM »
Laz, thanks to you and some good advice some weeks previously, I'm already armed.. well armed for this kind of situation.

What I'm short of is emergency food and appropriate medical supplies.. and that's changing now, hour by hour. I've had a little meeting with the family, they've got their lists, and for once my liberal democratic ex-wife is listening carefully and contributing positively to the family's disaster planning.

There are lessons in this disaster for every American. We're seeing fist hand how bad it can get, how fast it can get that way and what's necessary for personal protection and family survival.

I strongly urge each and every american to take a weapons saftey course, join the NRA and arm themselves.. and I also strongly urge every American to develop a survival plan and aquire a minimum 1 week supply of food, water and medicines.

This is not a political issue. It's just common sense and practical application of assets vs threat.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #141 on: September 02, 2005, 11:50:06 AM »
well.... it is political in the sense that our constitutional rights have been trampled on for quite a few years and that we need to reverse the trend before it is too late.

but... your point is correct.

lazs

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #142 on: September 02, 2005, 11:50:56 AM »
Violence feeds violence. It doesn't make it right though Lazs.

The difference is that in your country the situation has been blown out of hand for a looong long time. When every wacko owns a gun your only option is to arm yourself better for protection (if thats even possible). Well, or move to a safer place.

So essentially you folks chose your path, we chose ours.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #143 on: September 02, 2005, 12:00:31 PM »
Yup. We've chosen.

We chose wisely, IMHO.

There's several thousand years of European History to draw from.. what you've accomplished in that time and what we've managed in just a few hundred...

You've decided to be subjects.. we'd rather remain citizens.

I happen to prefer our choices over yours.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 12:02:55 PM by Hangtime »
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #144 on: September 02, 2005, 12:59:51 PM »
well sciaf... we certainly wouldn't want the kind of wild west shooting people down like dogs in the street that they have in Vermont, ariszona and switzerland now would we?

perhaps we should disarm like they do in Washington DC or new york city?

lazs

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #145 on: September 02, 2005, 01:37:35 PM »
Please clarify Hangtime how are we subjects? From where I stand our society gives us more freedom _and_ social backing where yours is saying every man for themselves, here go buy a gun.

If you can't live in your home safely or can't walk the streets of your city at night without having to carry a weapon, you're not free.

If you can't express yourself (sexually or otherwise) freely, you're not free. What are all those wacky laws prohibiting people from having certain sex positions at home? Or that strict censorship in the media? It's not freedom.

If a routine stop from a traffic cop means you get to crawl on your face at gunpoint, does it make you feel free? I know I've never been held at gunpoint in my life - and most likely never will.

So you see, where you see things your way I see things my way. I'm happy with our way of life like you probably are to yours. What earns you the right to call us subjects.

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #146 on: September 02, 2005, 01:52:33 PM »
The above being said, I think this is the wrong time to argue about bs like this. You have a national emergency going on and I for one feel really helpless witnessing the events taking place.

Bickering at this time is an insult to those who lost everything. If the internet could have a quiet moment, this would be one of those times to do it.

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #147 on: September 02, 2005, 01:59:26 PM »
I heard a canadian broad gave a million dollars to the cause. That's pretty cool.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #148 on: September 02, 2005, 04:46:06 PM »
I have no problem in not argueing about it... I am sure the same facts will pop up and people will think what they want..  those who don't want guns will use this as an excuse to try to ban them or feel relieved that their country allready does.

those that do believe in the right to keep and bear arms will use this as an excuse to further their (our) cause.

in the end... one thing remains... if there are armed looters or even people shooting at rescuers... if the government sends in troops to shoot people...

Do you think Americans will sell their guns or throw em in the river or....

new people will buy em in record numbers?   There are 240,000,000 guns out there... maybe more... there are at least 75,000,000 Amercians who are armed and want to stay that way... the number is growing not shrinking.

I am back to the original point.... it should be against the law to shoot at police helicopters..

beetle pointed out in a thread that having a gun in england is a mandatory 5 year sentance (using it?).... he says there aren't many because of this.   Is it because people don't want guns in england or because of the severe penalties?  If the penalty were a $5 fine would it still work?

again... make it against the law to shoot at people without just cause... make it a mandatory sentance... I have no problem with that...

if they catch those guys tho.... unless they are two time losers... they will be caught and released with very little punishment..

lazs

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #149 on: September 02, 2005, 06:12:57 PM »
Siaf__csf

Speaks wisely!

With respect Lazs Quit trying to turn this into a gun argument!