Author Topic: Vision requirements for USN?  (Read 3239 times)

Nath-BDP

Vision requirements for USN?
« on: December 13, 2000, 01:05:00 PM »
Anyone know if there are any vision requirements to be a pilot in the USN do you have to have 20/20+ vision? Also can you wear glasses or contacts?
I heard that there were wavers or something like that.

[This message has been edited by Nath-BDP (edited 12-13-2000).]

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2000, 01:08:00 PM »
Well I know here in Canada due to recruitment shortfalls you can get into the aviation program with V2, which I THINK is 15/20.  Anything worse than this, forget it, be prepared to be a navigator.

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2000, 01:15:00 PM »
Actually standards are way down because they have such a hard time recruiting pilots.

But, you have to have a college degree first.

------------------
Bartlomiej Rajewski
aka. Wing Commander fd-ski
Northolt Wing
1st Polish Fighter Wing
303 (Polish) Squadron "Kosciuszko" RAF
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF
315 (Polish) Squadron "City of Deblin" RAF

Turning 109s and 190s into scrap metal since 1998

Northolt Wing Headquarters

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2000, 01:25:00 PM »
Two things you need to ensure being a naval aviator:

Graduation from Anapolis
20/20 vision

There were rumors that people who received laser surgery would be accepted as long as they now had 20/20... though I haven't heard if this was really accepted.

The best thing to do would be to stop by the USN web page and start poking around.

The very minimum requirements are that you have a 4 year degree.

AKDejaVu

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2000, 01:27:00 PM »
You also need to sign an "I am an allied opportunist and proud of it" waiver.

------------------
StSanta
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2000, 01:29:00 PM »
That's not entirely true ski.  You can enlist and make it into pilot training, though it's not the easiest thing to accomplish.  I know two guys who have done this, and last I heard one was driving a 'Cat and the other a Hornet.  Granted they enlisted about 5yr ago.

Nath probably the best way to find what the requirements are would be to call the Navy's pilot training command and ask them.  I know that about 5yr ago the laser surgery to bring your vision back to 20/20 was a disqualifer for pilot training, and you can forget fighters with glasses or contact because of the Gs (as was explained to me by a pilot friend).

You could try a local recruiting office, but they'll blow so much smoke up your arse you won't be able to see for a month.  One recruiter tried to convice me that LSO was the next best thing to being part of the flight crew.  When pressed about LSO being an officer from one of the squadrons he says "On some of the smaller boats chiefs are the LSOs."  Yeah, smaller boats like FFGs, DDs, and AEs signaling for a helo pad.

Nath-BDP

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2000, 01:53:00 PM »
Graduation from the Naval Academy is required? Can't you go to another college and get a 4 year degree then try for the Navy?

thanks

[This message has been edited by Nath-BDP (edited 12-13-2000).]

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2000, 01:56:00 PM »
Its not required... but its definately more difficult without it.

USAF is pretty much the same way for the advanced fighters.

.. of course.. your mileage may vary.

AKDejaVu

LJK Raubvogel

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2000, 02:16:00 PM »
Don't know about the other services, but for the Army you have to have 20/20 for Warrant Officer Flight training. Commissioned guys can get in as long as its correctable to 20/20. And before people start giving me toejam about the Army, just remember: To fly is fine, to hover is divine  

------------------
LJK_Raubvogel
LuftJägerKorps

[This message has been edited by LJK Raubvogel (edited 12-13-2000).]

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2000, 02:33:00 PM »
Interesting to hear there is a shortfall in the number of pilots over there.

The same problem exists here - the RAF are having a hard time recruiting people of the right calibre.

But they are sticking to their requirements:

1) 20/20 vision (which isn't the best your eyes can be, BTW) for Aircrew
2)Laser surgery is not accepted

Also - doesn't the Naval Academy involve Basic/Leadership training? Or is that done somewhere else?
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2000, 02:50:00 PM »
I would never knock army aviators Raubvogel.  I try not to knock the army at all.  I actually feel kinda bad that while I was in the Air Force, we had it so cush compared to our infantry brethren.  At least.. I feel kinda bad about it now

And Dowding, without knowing the exact curriculum at Anapolis... I would tend to believe that building leaders (military) is one of the key goals.

AKDejaVu

Offline MiG Eater

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.avphoto.com
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2000, 03:41:00 PM »
20/20 uncorrected vision or better with no color blindness is required to be admitted into US Naval Aviator training (as  a potential pilot).  You can have corrected 20/20 vision and still be admitted as a potential NFO (Naval Flight Officer).  Check with a recruiter to keep up to date with any changes to the policies.

Leway is given, however, to those that have completed primary training and need some kind of correction to maintain 20/20.

MiG

Offline MiG Eater

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.avphoto.com
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2000, 03:47:00 PM »
Graduation from the Naval Academy increases the chances of obtaining a slot in the aviator training program.  A minimum of a four year bachelor degree is needed to become a commissioned officer.  (Only commissioned officers can act as pilots in the Air Force and Navy.)  Joining ROTC while in college gives a greater competitive edge over those who didn't when seeking a training slot.

MiG

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2000, 07:56:00 AM »
Nath, you need 20/20 to get in the training pipeline, and if your vision gets worse than 20/30 in either eye before you finish training, you get canned.  I was a navy hospital corpsman a few years ago doing flight physicals at Corpus Christi.

It is already waiverable to get PRK surgery to correct vision, or to wear glasses or contacts in flight.  The catch is, you have to have your wings already.  To get into the program you still need 20/20.  Now, the navy started a program last summer where they inducted a number of new trainees who had PRK surgery.

PRK will likely become a standard waiverable item for new student aviators in the near future.  Notice, this is only for PRK right now.  Lasik may be allowed in the future, but I haven't heard about that.

The exact standards are spelled out in Chapter 15-65, Manual of the Medical Department (NAVMED P-117), available here.

If your vision is currently worse than 20/20, hold off on any surgery to correct vision.  Go to school and get your degree.  No, it doesn't need to be the Naval Academy... you can go anywhere you want.  NROTC probably will help, but it isn't required either.  By the time you're getting ready to graduate, the physical requirements will probably allow either PRK or Lasik, and you should be able to get in.

[This message has been edited by Sancho (edited 12-14-2000).]

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2000, 08:33:00 AM »

And Dowding, without knowing the exact curriculum at Anapolis... I would tend to believe that building leaders (military) is one of the key goals.

I was asking a genuine question, because someone was saying that you might be able to become a naval flyer without going to Naval Academy. What is Anapolis?

War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.