Author Topic: Another Disaster Reporter has a Rod Serling Moment  (Read 3397 times)

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
Another Disaster Reporter has a Rod Serling Moment
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2005, 12:49:16 PM »
Originally posted by rabbidrabbit
Right,

So he reports hundreds of guns being stolen on a weekly basis, reporting the make and serial numbers in the process.  Then, those guns all turn up as crime guns.  Ya, that won't cause any suspicion...

Hundreds of guns? Oh yea just go off the deep end will you, not all of them are. But I do know for a fact that its easier to buy a gun here in Va than anywhere else in the world. and a lot of places here don't do the required checks, they just do the required paperworkand send you off with a handgun. A local news guy here proved it once, he went to a gun dealer, bought a gun and had it in his hand the next day, but the paperwork said he waited the required 10 days, when the news station went back a week later, the gun shop was gone,the police tracked the dealer down, and said that theres no way to know who he sold guns to.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 12:51:18 PM by dmf »

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2005, 12:56:29 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
Them giving people interviews is like raider talking about the gun culture.

lazs

Or like lasz a voting, government paycheck receiving, constitution quoting Anarchist. :lol

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2005, 01:05:47 PM »
Originally posted by dmf
Hundreds of guns? Oh yea just go off the deep end will you, not all of them are. But I do know for a fact that its easier to buy a gun here in Va than anywhere else in the world. and a lot of places here don't do the required checks, they just do the required paperworkand send you off with a handgun. A local news guy here proved it once, he went to a gun dealer, bought a gun and had it in his hand the next day, but the paperwork said he waited the required 10 days, when the news station went back a week later, the gun shop was gone,the police tracked the dealer down, and said that theres no way to know who he sold guns to.

So you are advocating enforcing laws?  Looks like we agree.  Assuming the reporter went to an actual dealer he would not be too tuff to track down given they are federally licensed.  Either that or it stinks of a contrived story.

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2005, 07:05:05 PM »
Yes I advocate gun control laws. I can't understand why anybody outside the military needs handguns. I can see people that hunt having rifels and shotguns, but why do we all need the biggest handgun made? I live in the city, I don't need a gun. as for a burgler, I have a dog, a phone, and a softball bat.

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2005, 07:29:59 PM »
Originally posted by dmf
Yes I advocate gun control laws. I can't understand why anybody outside the military needs handguns. I can see people that hunt having rifels and shotguns, but why do we all need the biggest handgun made? I live in the city, I don't need a gun. as for a burgler, I have a dog, a phone, and a softball bat.

So you figure that since you don't want something noone else should have it either?  

On that token, Since you don't belong to a professional team you certainly don't need to have that deadly weapon.

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2005, 08:38:37 PM »
OK look first. I don't care if you have a handgun or not, I just think that all gun control laws should apply to everyone owning a gun.
Second. I've had the softball bat since I was in high school on the softball team, anybody breaks in to my house and I'm going to hit a home run on their head.
PLease explain to me why you would need a 44 automag for home defense.

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2005, 08:54:18 PM »
Most gun control laws are written to make the government look like they are "hard on crime". They have little to nothing to really do with public safety.

Governmnets like easy answers and "sound bite" solutions to problems, including crime, and we get fed this pablum of mush minded crap to put the voters at ease.

"What is your governments position on gun control"

"We think there should be restrictions on X, Y, Z, so decent folks can live in a world without fear, blah blah blah..."

Next question.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2005, 09:10:12 PM »
Originally posted by dmf

Second. I've had the softball bat since I was in high school on the softball team, anybody breaks in to my house and I'm going to hit a home run on their head.
PLease explain to me why you would need a 44 automag for home defense.

Ummm mainly due to the fact that while your in the warm up box homie is going to cap your ***. That would be my guess.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2005, 09:37:03 PM »
I don't need the guns I own; I want them. Some people do need them. Alot of people think they need them but probably don't.

At any rate, the fact that they want them and can legally own them is enough for me.

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2005, 09:42:58 PM »
do you even know what a 44 automag is?  it does sound mean doesn't it?

Actually, for defense, a 12 guage is far better than a 44.  Your missing the point.  

The weapon is irrelevant.  What is relevant is the person who possesses it.  Hence laws like the"assault weapons" ban had and did nothing to prevent crime but rather served to dupe folks like you.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2005, 10:04:26 PM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
Ummm mainly due to the fact that while your in the warm up box homie is going to cap your ***. That would be my guess.

or if there's two of them....lol

EDIT:

Dmf what if you miss your first swing.  Guns usually give you a second shot.

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2005, 10:08:19 PM »
Softball? :huh

High school softball? :huh

Are you a chick?

We had a company softball team but that is different
When I was in school only the girls had softball teams.

Besides if you arent playing now why do you need a bat? i think it shows something wrong, if you are preparing  a tool meant for playing a game to use against your fellow man, especially if he is one of our poor and underpriveliged looking to better his living enviroment.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2005, 07:33:02 AM »
Two of my favorite reporterette stories from NO...

1.) A CG helo pilot climbs out of his chair after a 30-hour non-stop sortie and she stick the microphone in his face and asks how he feels.

2.) Film of a rooftop rescue the day (maybe two) after the hurricane, the helo is so low that shingles are flying off the battered roof and she remarks "Wow, Bob, it looks like the storm is still having feirce winds out there".

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2005, 08:01:17 AM »
Why not just make it safe enough so that civilians dont need guns to protect themselves?

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2005, 08:18:56 AM »
dmf... I assume that you are young.   I am not trying to make light of your views based on that it is just that you appear to be very young based on your views on how effective a baseball bat is for self defense.

I would agree that in a lot of cases...  a baseball bat in the hands of a young and strong person with the agresssive ability and hand eye co ordination to weild it would be pretty effective.

I only ask you this... would your dad do as well?  How bout your grandpa?  How bout the infirm old man or lady in the next building?   How would you do against an armed intruder or... several intruders?   Do you carry a baseball bat with you?   How do you do that? has it got a sling or do you just carry it?  You do know also that a baseball bat in a car without other "baseball parefenallia" is illegal in many states?

As for the dealers in question...  There are very strict rules governing FFL (federal firearms licence) holders... with substantial penalties for not obeying the simplest rules... if the government makes a mistake on the forms... no big deal.. if the FFL dealer does... fines and/or imprisonment..  

That is not to say that some will take the chance and sell guns illegaly... but it is rare.    Also... stolen guns sell for much less than legal guns.

You are welcome to not own a gun... I would just ask that you not restrict my right to in any way.   Your city probly has very strict gun control laws allready... if not, I can name some for you that have such and you can move there and enjoy whatever safety you feel that offers.   but...

Like it or not... the second amendment is not about hunting.  I do also hope that you realize that some of us, even some of us who can swing a bat... feel that being out in the country or rural areas that we might need to defend for hours or days until help arrives...  When we see how well the government is doing protecting people in NO it doesn't exactly make us want to give up our second amendment rights.

lazs