Author Topic: computer questions  (Read 845 times)

Offline SPEAK99

• Zinc Member
computer questions
« on: September 20, 2005, 05:45:47 PM »
howdy yall, i am looking to buy a new comp.  but don't know where to start, im on a limited budget, so i can't spend more than 1500...thanks for any help guys...lagging badly

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
computer questions
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 05:52:28 PM »
Do you have any experience with the internals of a computer? Hardware and what not... With a little reading, and about 1500 bucks you can buy all the parts you need right from http://www.newegg.com and put together one heck of a system.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline SPEAK99

• Zinc Member
computer questions
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 05:54:04 PM »
no sir i don't, i can  use a comp.. but mainly computer illiterate...:rolleyes:

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
computer questions
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 06:00:44 PM »
You might be better off in the Hardware & Software -forum...

But what Morph said... For 1500 you should get a decent enough computer to play AH (well, a bit more than that, actually). I don't know about the prices in US, but I've been eyeing an AMD 64 3200+ for less than $1500 here in Finland (actually less than 900 euros without a monitor, which is under $1100). It would include the case and power supply, with motherboard (I've calculated that with a PCI-Ex), the AMD64 3200+ processor, graphics card (GeForce 6600 GT PCI-Ex in this case), 160GB HD and whatnots... Wouldn't be much higher if it was built in the store (I of course calculated the price using my existing parts and building it myself... but I'd guess you should get it cheaper there.)
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
computer questions
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 06:06:23 PM »
It really doesnt take alot of know how these days to put one together. I would really think about it before you do end up buying anything.

Before i started building my own PC's I thought it was going to be one of the most diffcult things I've done.

When i orded all the stuff and it finally came... I started opening the boxes at noon and by 3 or 4 pm that afternoon I had Aces High Loaded and was on line flying.

If you find that you're interested in doing something like this... Send me an email or PM me from the board here and I can give you some links on where you can get some good deals and bundles as far as motherboard and processors go.

Basicly now with building your own computer its all just plugging things in, screwing a few things together and loading up windows. You really cant do anything wrong that would get you into touble because if you dont do end up putting a plug where it doesnt go (which is unlikely because most wont plug in if they arent meant to) the computer just wont turn on.

Edit: the 3200+'s are dirt cheap right now. With the Fx53's and 57's out there they're almost giving the 3200's away. I'd do it soon though because prices are expected to rise soon due to  Katrina beleive it or not.

Offline SPEAK99

• Zinc Member
computer questions
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 06:13:31 PM »
what system should i use?  i hear a lot about amd, but have never heard of it.  i was looking at a sony, with 250 gb hard drive, with intel pentium D...whatever that is.  what should i get for Aces High and my college work load?

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
computer questions
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 06:30:04 PM »
I personaly have always like AMD. For gaming they have always served me well.

Pentium is good too, but a little more pricey when you start to really get up there as far as top of the line stuff goes. The same can be said for AMD's latest and greatest.

This seems to me to be a good deal.

I dont deal with Tiger direct.. So you'd have to find out what kind of warrantee they offer on the bundles they sell.
But none the less. it looks to me to be a good deal for a mobo w/ a 3700+
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1178956&Sku=MBM-K8V-A643700

After you get that (if you got it) youre just about done with the hard part.

You'll need a

Video card

Computer case

Power suply

Memory

Hard dive

Good idea to get a nice set of round IDE cables.

CD ROM and Floppy although you dont really NEED a floopy.

Like I said if you get this far and are serious about building you own, I can offer you more information on where and what ect. But that will be enough to get you started, and looking around.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 06:33:01 PM by Morpheus »

Offline SPEAK99

• Zinc Member
computer questions
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 06:34:57 PM »
thanks alot morpheous.  i just found out that there is no more H2H, so if i want to continue to play, then i will have to subscribe.  i have a dell optiplex gx1 with P 2!...lol..and ATI radeon 9200 VC.  so would that be alright for now to use in MA, or would i just get bogged down with lag due to my processor?

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
computer questions
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 06:39:15 PM »
Were you able to play AH2 H2H with that system?

If so then you MIGHT be able to survive playing in the MA. Although it wont be pretty.

I'd knock all my video quality settings down to the absolute bare minimum and see how it looks.

Offline SPEAK99

• Zinc Member
computer questions
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 06:41:35 PM »
what do you mean?  i have the pixels at 640/800, i think...but yeah, i was able to, have cable modem so that probly helped.  once again thanks for all of your help.   keep sending me some suggestions please...i need to learn....lol:D

Offline SPEAK99

• Zinc Member
computer questions
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2005, 06:42:58 PM »
by the way morpheous, do you know anyone who has a squadron looking for a respectful bomber pilot?  i posted in the squadrons section.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
computer questions
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2005, 06:51:11 PM »
If by "Pentium D" you mean "Pentium Celeron D" don't get it. Avoid Celerons. They're stripped down and don't have the onboard cache (means they do stuff slower because it's not directly on the chip). Get a real pentium.

I got an ASUS mobo (socket 775/Socket T; ~$90), a stick of 512MB RAM (~$60), a Pentium 4, 2.66GHz (~$140), a 425W power supply (super freaky instant rebate; ~$5 -- normally $50-ish), and a nice looking case (~$35 for mine, some go up to 150-ish), used my existing sound card, video card, hard drive, and CD/DVD drives, popped in a second 80mm fan ($3) and for a hair under $300 I've got a new computer that gets kickass fps in AH.

EDIT: Make that just under $350 if you don't get some super freaky instant rebate on your power supply :P

NOTE: If you want a decent vid card let's tack on est. ~150 or so, if you want a new hard drive (which I needed but couldn't afford) tack on $80 for a 80-100GB drive, want 1gig ram, tack on extra $60. I already had a Soundblaster Audigy, but most mobos come with integrated sound nowadays.

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
computer questions
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 11:20:37 AM »
For 1500$ you should be able to get a good system from your local store or a big reseller. It will be a bit hard to figure out which system to get since there are some traps that should be avoided and on complete systems its sometimes hard to find out what is in it.

If you check the midrange system buyers guide at anandtech Buyers Guide  you can get an idea how the system could look like.

If the budget is rather on the low side of 1500$ then i would get a Radeon x700 graphic card (with 256MB RAM). With that an AMD Athlon 64 3200, 1GB RAM, HD, double layer dvd burner, 450W power supply and all the other stuff needed to complete it.

Biggest problem is that prebuild systems often offer super fast processor with junk around it, so when you only look at processor speed and price you might go wrong.

If you feel no urge to build the system yourself you dont have to, storebought is fine to and the extra price payed is verry small compared to the trouble to build it yourself.

OK, thats only my opinion. Keep asking and maybe we can find a path for you.

p.s. The market changes monthly. So when you think up what to buy now and then wait 2 month you have to start over again.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
computer questions
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 05:05:26 AM »
If you're looking for a bomber squadron.

Try the SkyKnights. Good bunch.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline SkyWolf

• Nickel Member
computer questions
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 06:47:14 AM »
Originally posted by Schutt
For 1500$ you should be able to get a good system from your local store or a big reseller. It will be a bit hard to figure out which system to get since there are some traps that should be avoided and on complete systems its sometimes hard to find out what is in it.

If you check the midrange system buyers guide at anandtech Buyers Guide  you can get an idea how the system could look like.

If the budget is rather on the low side of 1500$ then i would get a Radeon x700 graphic card (with 256MB RAM). With that an AMD Athlon 64 3200, 1GB RAM, HD, double layer dvd burner, 450W power supply and all the other stuff needed to complete it.

Biggest problem is that prebuild systems often offer super fast processor with junk around it, so when you only look at processor speed and price you might go wrong.

If you feel no urge to build the system yourself you dont have to, storebought is fine to and the extra price payed is verry small compared to the trouble to build it yourself.

OK, thats only my opinion. Keep asking and maybe we can find a path for you.

p.s. The market changes monthly. So when you think up what to buy now and then wait 2 month you have to start over again.

You could also try Alienware or Vicious PC. Decent Gaming machines although most in here build their own.