Author Topic: Wanna B Skinner Questions  (Read 526 times)

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Wanna B Skinner Questions
« on: September 21, 2005, 11:53:56 AM »
Well I have decided I want to try my hand at skinning.  I mean I got all these darn books, and I have PS 7.0 and I need something to do on my lunch hour.  Before I get started I want to ask a couple questions.

1.  There are some templates on the skins website for the P-51B, are they current for the new 3d model?

2.  What would be a good plane to do first?

3.  What planes are going to have their 3d models redone sometime in the future and should be avoided?

Thanks
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 12:30:57 PM »
Gotta do a good 4th FG B/C model to go with the potential 4th D models don't ya think?

Imagine you are up with your new Red Dog XII and off your wing is a Malcom hooded B model in the same QP codes

An old profile I did of just such a bird :)

Think I even have one around of a B model with the swept under the cowl red nose too, but it's a VF kite.

Found the other bird.  It's from roughly the same time frame in terms of the red nose swept back look.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 12:43:22 PM by Guppy35 »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline MachNix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 12:57:02 PM »
1.  Don't know about the templates on the skins website.  I start with the "Save Textures" and make a test skin to determine the boundaries of the parts.  It is a lengthy process and the skin viewer really helps by giving immediate feedback through the "refresh" button.  Once you know the limits of all the parts, you will have a good foundation on which to build your skin.  Finding a good template will save you some time, but anyone who has put in the time to do a good one probably would not be willing to share it.

2 & 3.  What would be a good plane to do first and which planes are going to be redone go hand in hand.  Pick a plane that has had its 3d model already redone.  The P-51 series, P-47 series, P-38 series, and KI84 have all been redone.  I think 109s and Spits are the next on the schedule to be redone.  Find a plane, a unit, or pilot that interest you.  It is going to take a lot of hours to put a skin together and you will want something that will hold your interest.  Try and pick a paint scheme that is ether all camouflaged or all metal as your first skin.  There will be less to learn if the paint scheme is all one or the other.  (Any one of guppy35's would be a good choice.)  Once you have a plane in mind, look through this board and see if anyone else is doing the skin.  Once you are confident you can get the skin completed, stake your claim by making a post.

GL

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 02:12:38 PM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
Gotta do a good 4th FG B/C model to go with the potential 4th D models don't ya think?

Imagine you are up with your new Red Dog XII and off your wing is a Malcom hooded B model in the same QP codes

An old profile I did of just such a bird :)

Think I even have one around of a B model with the swept under the cowl red nose too, but it's a VF kite.

Thanks Guppy, those are excellent.  I was sorta thinking that Hofner's plane and Boise Bee are being done that another 4th FG would be redundant.  Therefore I thought that Major Howard's Ding Hao would be a good first skin, after all the man was a Medal of Honor winner.

Thanks MachNix, I appreciate your response.  That 51 you did is sooo sweet.  Ding Hao would fit well with your recommendations.
I want to help flesh out the plane selections.  A KI-84 would also be a good start or even a P-47 for my buddy Boozer.

Cheers,
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 05:12:45 PM »
People have posted various templates on this BB; you can do a search.  

I started my 4th FG skin (The Deacon, which has already been submitted) using a P-51B panel lines template posted by Skychimp.  He may have traced it from the default ("Old Crow") , as the lines matched exactly; he could advise on this.  Anyway, without his help, I never would have gotten started - thanks Skychimp.  :-)

Once I got going I digitized plans from a book I have, and sized them for the skin.  I used these to completely redo the panel lines.  Another advantage of having my own digitized plan was that I could trace the rivet lines from it, for the rivet layers.  Adjustments were needed to match the 3-D model, especially for the sides, but these plans saved a lot of trial-and-error.

Note that a common skin paradigm seems to be a layer of black associated with another layer of white, offset by 1 pixel diagonally.  Opacity can then be separately adjusted for each.  As an example, my "rivets black" layer is currently 6% and my "rivets white" at 2% for my Deacon skin.  The experts then have a whole series of elaborations on this such as additional gaussian blurred versions of these layers, etc.  Also, you can improve on existing practice if you concentrate on photos of real planes, instead of copying what others did.  For example, although my first skin has imperfections, I feel I did a relatively good job on the underside weathering, because I did it from a photo, and other better skinners apparently didn't , even though their skins overall may be preferred.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 05:24:03 PM by TDeacon »

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 05:17:12 PM »
BTW, once I finish my current assignment at work, I will have time to do another skin.  Since lots of people seem to be doing skins for the new US plane 3-D models, I thought I'd pick something more esoteric (less competition too).  

However, the problem with doing an older skin is that they will redo it, requiring rework of the skin.  Anyone reworked an old skin before, and how much work was it?  Machnix?

Offline MachNix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 07:10:01 PM »
Reworking an old skin like the P51D was really starting from scratch.  The only things that survived from the old skin were items like wheels and wheel wells.  The "skin" itself had to be totally redone.  The old skin only had one side of the fuselage and one wing and horizontal (top and bottom) to work with.  The new skin has everything including top and bottom sections of the fuselage so you now have to worry about the paint scheme matching up.  And the new skin is at a different pixel density then the old.  Which means cut-n-past, shrink-to-fit of the old skin wont work – at least it didn't to my satisfaction.  Also, where you could get by with a seam or panel line being one dark line with a light line on the old skin, the lower pixel density on the new skin makes the line too thick IMO, but everyone has their own tastes.  The only thing that completely transferred was the research.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 07:28:35 PM »
Thanks Machnix; I guess I'll wait for the new Spit models...