Author Topic: Diplomacy Game (OCLUB_MODERN) Forming  (Read 3122 times)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Diplomacy Game (OCLUB_MODERN) Forming
« Reply #120 on: October 01, 2005, 10:58:11 AM »
Originally posted by SOB
Takeda needs to send a resign email before you can take over his country.

I resigned him before I posted the takeover directions for Steve.
sand

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #121 on: October 01, 2005, 11:00:15 AM »
Originally posted by Steve
umm I went to game and all countries assigned?

The only way to take over a place in the game is by using email.

The web interface doesn't allow for it.
sand

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #122 on: October 02, 2005, 12:02:44 PM »
Steve?
sand

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2005, 12:29:29 PM »
:)
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #124 on: October 04, 2005, 07:39:49 PM »
A basic synopsis for anyone who is still lost.  I figured I might as well put it here since I'd already typed it out to one player.  Rather not lose it.  :)

-----

Ok, this is a basic game of "take over the world with your armies/fleets" -- similar to Risk.  Basically, you want to control Supply Centers (SC's).  For each one you have, you get a build (a new unit).  Each turn is divided into 3 phases -- spring movement, fall movement, and winter adjustments.  Movement phases are where the combat takes place.  Winter is for building and disbanding units -- you equalize the number of SC's you control with the number of units on the board.  If you control 6 SC's and have only 4 units on the board, you build 2 units.  If you control 4 SC's and have 6 units, you choose 2 units to disband.  

Combat is simple in theory, but gets more difficult the more units you have attacking every which way.  There are no dice, no luck.  2 units dislodges 1 unit -- the one would be forced to retreat or be destroyed if there are no valid places to retreat to.  1v1, 2 v 2, etc causes a "bounce" -- nobody moves.  

Here's the kicker: you can only have one unit per territory.  Since you can see from the map that each of us has only a few units to start (probably only 3), it is essential that you team up with other players.  That's where the diplomacy comes in.  You'll need to negotiate with everyone, and I mean everyone, so you have as much info as possible regarding what's going to happen the next turn.  If a player is not talking to you, they're probably plotting against you -- so keep them talking.  Regardless, they're probably still plotting against you.  :)

You give orders by typing in the text box of the DPjudge.  There are a few basic types of moves - a "move" (can be an attack if the space you're moving to is occupied or someone else is trying to move there).  Basically, you'd type "A MEX to TEX" -- this would move Army Mexico to Texas, assuming no other units blocked it.  Other important orders are holds, convoys, and supports.  Check the rules for explanations.  

Armies can move from land territory to land territory, can move over sea if there's a dotted path (like Denmark to Sweden), or can move over sea spaces by getting convoyed by fleets (see convoying rules).  

So read the rules, then head to floc.net/dpjudge and login to game oclub_modern as your power (germany).  You send presses (notes) to other players from this screen by checking their box.  Your presses are anonymous, so be sure to sign them.  Be aware that since there are anonymous presses, anything you read could be from anybody.  So you have to pay close attention to what they're saying and if it makes sense, because somebody could be messing with you.  Plus, even when it is from the right person, they could be flat out lying to you.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: October 04, 2005, 07:45:03 PM »
I find the lack of communication rather dissapointing.  Ive been quiet, but at least I sent out a message to the European community.

Maybe everyone is against me :noid
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #126 on: October 04, 2005, 10:04:05 PM »
Originally posted by Nefarious
I find the lack of communication rather dissapointing.  Ive been quiet, but at least I sent out a message to the European community.

Maybe everyone is against me :noid

Hmmm... you're England, I think.

If you are, you better find out where you stand between France and Germany.

Of France, Germany, and England only two will survive the first four to five years. In fact, one of the three will see his doom on the horizon in the next two to three moves.

IIRC, SOB was England awhile back and I was Germany. Man did he not see that one coming. :rofl
sand

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #127 on: October 04, 2005, 10:30:22 PM »
Within a couple of years I went from happy-go-lucky to hapless victim.  I ended up with Sandy's name branded into my ass, and had to work as his court jester for table scraps.  Bastard! :D
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #128 on: October 04, 2005, 10:33:00 PM »
LOL... I tell ya... that was my absolute best stab ever.
sand

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #129 on: October 04, 2005, 10:39:06 PM »
Hey, my name was branded on your bellybutton in that one too!

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #130 on: October 04, 2005, 10:46:10 PM »
****! I forgot... Tarmac was France. Couldn't have done it without ya.
sand

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #131 on: October 04, 2005, 11:38:42 PM »
:D  That one was a classic.  I was on the edge of my seat waiting for that deadline, just to see if I was getting played as badly as I thought I was playing SOB.  

Fond memories.  :)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #132 on: October 04, 2005, 11:40:51 PM »
:D You and me both. I was almost certain that you and SOB we're playing me.

Didn't you and I end that one as a draw exactly as we planned from the start? Or did I stab you at the end? Can't remember.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 11:43:06 PM by Sandman »
sand

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #133 on: October 04, 2005, 11:42:57 PM »
SOB sure thought we were playing you.  :)

Yeah, we called a draw, and I'm still pissed that you whacked Archduke Sikboy's single army right at the end.  After all that effort to keep him alive.  :p

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #134 on: October 04, 2005, 11:48:36 PM »
I had to cut Sikboy. The board lacked semetry. :)
sand