Author Topic: China  (Read 1792 times)

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
China
« on: April 04, 2001, 12:58:00 AM »
I have a feeling that it will be up to the US to devise a plan for China to "save face" regarding the accident.  I say accident because I believe it was just that, unintended.  That being said, Bush's statement today at 3pm central has informed the Chi-coms that it is time to return the crew, no ifs ands or buts.

How will the Chi-coms react?  Good question

This whole thing is now in the political arena and must be causing some tension in high places in China.  They have too much to lose if they let this get beyond what it is at now, but I'm sure there are hawks in China too!!

Awaiting the next Chi-com move with interest.  Who blinks??  Does GW back down or do the Chi-coms?

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
China
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2001, 08:49:00 AM »
 http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1130791615

not appreciated by all I am sure, but...  
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
China
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2001, 08:52:00 AM »
China has stated that they demand an apology first before releasing the 'hostages'.  I say we start a boycott on all Chinese made goods.  I personally have already begun.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
China
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2001, 08:55:00 AM »
Same here Ripsnort.

-Westy

Offline blur

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
China
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2001, 09:12:00 AM »
Rip, I'm with ya on this one. From this moment on, no more opium!

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
China
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2001, 11:37:00 AM »
Bush's latest comments make it very difficult for the Chinese Premier to back down. There are many, many people in his government who are more anti-American than him.

He could be out on his ear, if he loses face over this, thus making negotiations much more difficult.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
China
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2001, 11:41:00 AM »
Welp, I like my APEX dvd player, but if it comes to it I'm willing to go with Phillips next time  

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
China
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2001, 11:43:00 AM »
Well, I'm really not taking a side on this one, anyone remember the Mig25 we held, and dismantled, from the Russians?

We expect everyone to adhere to a 12 mile buffer in regards to their  borders, but we expect others to adhere to our 200 mile buffer, as China does...double standard for the USA?

My only gripe is the crew at this point, let them go, they are only pawns in this latest cold war thats brewing.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
China
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2001, 12:04:00 PM »
Nope, Rip, we use a 12 mile zone for transit use of airspace and sealanes.

I think you may be talking about the 200 mile fishing rights zone.

The Foxbat was impounded by the Japanese, not us, because Belenko "did not have the
correct documents and papers for importing military hardware into Japan."

You may remember he blew a tire and went 800 feet off the runway as well. I don't know the facts, but I remember the case being made that damage and/or runway length at Hakodate precluded flying it out, thus the disassembly of the aircraft. The Japanese did invite the US to participate in the disassembly.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
China
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2001, 12:09:00 PM »
Dowding,

You're giving lots of commentary and opinion on what/how the US is doing.

Give us a bit of critique on how the Chinese are doing. I'm sure you want to be fair.

If Bush is making it hard for the Chinese, are the Chinese making it easy for Bush?

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

funked

China
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2001, 12:19:00 PM »
Toad, I think Dowding is looking at it in a practical sense.  It's pretty much certain that the Chinese will behave in an unreasonable and quite predictable manner, dictated by internal politics, so it's up to the US to use some smarts to get this thing resolved.  That's why he's holding the US to a higher standard.

And yes the boycott starts now.  I should have done this a long time ago, and now is a good time to start.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
China
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2001, 12:24:00 PM »
Funked,

I'm simply trying to focus attention on where the problem really lies.

This thing should have been over 12-24 hours after it happened.

There is one sovereign nation holding 24 citizens of another sovereign nation hostage.

...and all we get is sermons on how Bush should speak?

Again, where does the problem really lie? Where should world attention be focused? What nation should be getting the sermons?

But nooooooooooooooooo....

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
China
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2001, 01:03:00 PM »
Toad, I'm pretty sure our US airforce would not let the Chinese fly surv. planes 12 miles off our shores, would we?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
China
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2001, 01:53:00 PM »
Rip,

I don't know why not, except that they don't seem to emphasize long range recon in their air forces. Apparently they only have a few IL-28's modified for recon and they may be retiring those.
 http://mylima.com/airforce/c2.htm#CHINA  

Anyway, we let the Russians do it all during the Cold War. TU-95 Bears D's as I recall, came down the East Coast, deployed to Cuba. Flew sorties in the Gulf, flew sorties up the East Coast. Eventually returned up the East Coast and home at the end of the deployment.
 http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/seafarer/665/soviet-01.html

"Radar sites, including the Montauk Air Force Station, occassionally tracked the big Soviet bombers as they made long range flights along the east coast on their way to and from Cuba and other destinations."

Same thing I did out of England, Alaska, Okinawa and Greece.

I'll wager the Chinese are doing it now around Japan, Taiwan and other areas in their sphere of interest. All major powers do recon and it's a good thing.

Suprises cause wars. That's why everyone is watching everyone else to begin with. The US allows these flights in the same way we execute them.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
China
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2001, 01:58:00 PM »
Rgr, thks for reply.
<S>