Author Topic: CA gun owner question.  (Read 368 times)

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
CA gun owner question.
« on: October 08, 2005, 05:04:30 PM »
I inherited 2 pistols from my father, a .38 S&W and a .380 Browining. Both were regeistered in his name. Now that I've acquired them do I need to register them in my name or does it even matter since we have the same last name. I'm just curious incase I would ever need to defend myself
in fear for my life here in the ghetto.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
CA gun owner question.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 05:11:20 PM »
If your laws are anything like ours you need to just transfer the permits to your own name and then it should be ok. More stringent laws here, but I guess its easyer for you. We need to also show our "hunters license"

Point is.. the government needs to know who owns the serial numbers on your guns.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
CA gun owner question.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 05:41:42 PM »
Yea.  If they don't know the serial numbers, they won't be able to come to your house and take them away when they ban those particular types of guns.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
CA gun owner question.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 06:35:22 PM »
yeah yeah

if you plan on shooting somoeone then make sure they are not registered......... if you dont wanna shoot someone but keep em then register them

see CSI and then make up your mind

I say... shoot... clean and keep.. if the guy you got em from was smart.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
CA gun owner question.
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 06:48:10 PM »
Laz will know the particulars for sure.. I read thru the synopsis, my take is you've got 180 days to sell them to a licensed gun broker, render them inoperable or register them in your own name.

DO NOT TAKE THAT AS GOSPEL.

There's been changes in the laws, some counties have additional restrictions, and/or the info above may not apply to your handguns.

IOW, wait for Laz to chime in here.

In your shoes I'd keep them and the original paperwork for them for my dad. If I was ever forced to use one in home defense, I'd explain the ownership trail to my lawyer and not answer ANY questions posed by the police. That means I would not even offer my NAME to the police if arrested for a firearms violation. Talk to a lawyer. Never the cops.

Good luck.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline AdmRose

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cmdrrose/index.html
CA gun owner question.
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 10:46:24 PM »
California gun laws? I'd say you could shove the gun up your bellybutton to keep it hidden but I'm pretty sure that a rectal search is standard procedure when doing anything involving a gun in California

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
CA gun owner question.
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 10:48:24 PM »
move to the land of the free, florida, y'all don't have to register your guns down heyh.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
CA gun owner question.
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 10:57:52 PM »
or to Arizona.  In AZ you can carry your gun on your person as long as it's visible from 3 sides of your body and as long as it's loaded.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
CA gun owner question.
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 01:31:49 AM »
Last time I checked you didnt have to register them or do anything. Guns can be handed down father son in Cali.

Unless its an assault rifle.

Other then that they are yours legaly and you do not have to do any paperwork.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
CA gun owner question.
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 01:51:41 AM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
or to Arizona.  In AZ you can carry your gun on your person as long as it's visible from 3 sides of your body and as long as it's loaded.

"Sir, you're under arrest for deciding that you wouldn't kill any robbers today and leaving your gun empty. You have the right to remain silent..."

Lawmakers rawk. :D
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
CA gun owner question.
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2005, 09:48:45 AM »
When did your dad buy em?   If it was before the mandatory regestration laws between private citizens you can simply say that he gave em to you then.   You are not obligated to regester guns that were bought before a certain date unless you resell them.

If you want the good and rightious state of kalifornia to know that you have a particular weapon that is off their radar or... the gun was bought after the law... (can't recall the date)  then you need to take it to a FFL dealer and have him sell it to you and pay him 20-70 bucks for his work and 30 or so for the state to keep tabs on you..  Then... if you pass the paperwork and have a current firearms safety certificate.... you simply wait the 15 days and pick up "your" firearms knowing of course...

That when they ban those guns.... they will have a record of you owning them and..... they will be paying you a visit.

lazs

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
CA gun owner question.
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2005, 10:59:26 AM »
Originally posted by OOZ662
"Sir, you're under arrest for deciding that you wouldn't kill any robbers today and leaving your gun empty. You have the right to remain silent..."

Lawmakers rawk. :D

I allways questioned that law myself but it makes sense if you think about it.  If a gun carried in the open on a person is required by law to be loaded than a cop or anyone else for that matter wouldnt have to think twice about taking you out.

There are still a couple old bars in Yuma that had gun check stations.  It's against the law to wear a gun into an establishment that sells alcohol for consumption.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
CA gun owner question.
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2005, 11:02:49 AM »
very old british law required you to stop fleeing criminals with any weapon at your dispossal.

I imagine that it has a little to do with that.   If you can't say that you had an unloaded gun then you have no excuse for allowing the harm to others the criminal caused without doing anything about it.

lazs

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
CA gun owner question.
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2005, 01:09:45 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
When did your dad buy em?   If it was before the mandatory regestration laws between private citizens you can simply say that he gave em to you then.   You are not obligated to regester guns that were bought before a certain date unless you resell them.

If you want the good and rightious state of kalifornia to know that you have a particular weapon that is off their radar or... the gun was bought after the law... (can't recall the date)  then you need to take it to a FFL dealer and have him sell it to you and pay him 20-70 bucks for his work and 30 or so for the state to keep tabs on you..  Then... if you pass the paperwork and have a current firearms safety certificate.... you simply wait the 15 days and pick up "your" firearms knowing of course...

That when they ban those guns.... they will have a record of you owning them and..... they will be paying you a visit.

lazs

They .38 was bought in the 70's.  The .380 a friend sold him in before 94'.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
CA gun owner question.
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2005, 01:45:23 PM »
I believe the cutoff date was sometime in 1990.  Most people didn't pay much attention to it after that tho...

What it boils down to is that if the gun was made before 1990 and didn't go through a dealer after that date...

it is off the radar.   It simply doesn't exist.  There is no law requiring anyone to register a gun they have owned before 1990.  

this irks the brady bunch to no end.  

In my opinion... a gun that was bought before 1990 in kalifornia is worth a small premium over a registered one.

lazs