Author Topic: Planes of Fame F6F from Chino Down  (Read 2584 times)

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
Planes of Fame F6F from Chino Down
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2005, 12:30:34 AM »
How much training in emergency deadstick landing does the average real pilot recieve?
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2005, 01:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by Pooh21
How much training in emergency deadstick landing does the average real pilot recieve?

It's pretty standard that you have to demonstrate a simulated power off landing to get your PPL.
BTW, thanks for the info, Bodhi.

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2005, 01:16:56 AM »
Can we say the same thing about vintage cars?

These aircraft were designed to fly. Let them fly. Everything has a lifespan, including aircraft. It ends one way or the other. A warbird that's a smoking hole in the ground is no more dead than a warbird that's fallen apart because it was placed in a museum. Seeing them in one thing, but seeing them fly is another.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2005, 08:45:31 AM »
I'm afraid this thread is proof that I am the only intelligent being in the universe :eek:
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline SkyWolf

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2005, 09:06:53 AM »
Originally posted by Yeager
I'm afraid this thread is proof that I am the only intelligent being in the universe :eek:

:lol  I can see your point man... and I get mixed feelings every time one goes down. But trust me on this.... when it gets to the point where EVERYONE in the universe is an idiot and you are the only intelligent person left then you need to take a squint at the possibilty you might be a tad bit "off" (mentally speaking). :D

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2005, 09:38:03 AM »
Like I said, if its an original, SAVE IT.  Make copies and CRASH THOSE INSTEAD.

Lord knows you can always find another pilot.......

For God sakes, it's just a hunk of flipping sheetmetal with an engine....

While you might not think so, Art's life was worth more than all these warbirds put together.  It's sad.  People place so much stock in a piece of metal and so little in a person's life.

You're sick Yeager.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2005, 09:54:36 AM »
ok bodhi......Im sick  :rolleyes:

Pilots know and accept the risk of powered flight.  Whats more important than ourselves is our combined future.  We have a duty to preserve our heritage for future generations, people like you want to play with that heritage out of a confused sense of self-gratification and the result is a threatened and diminishing heritage of flight, now THATS SICK :p

Like I said, pull the originals and park em.  Go make your copies...sounds like fun...fly em crash em and burn em to hell and back....... Just save the originals.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2005, 12:00:01 PM »
Yeager, you don't seem to comprehend that "parking them" usually amounts to destroying them anyway.  Like I said, it's just about "feeling good".

I also find it ironic that the real Yeager flies warbirds.  

As I've said before, there's nothing a "real" airplane can do in a museum that a slapped-together metal shell can't do.  They gather dust equally as well.

J_A_B

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2005, 12:07:48 PM »
lolo..so true.."yeager"...you use his name..and he flys original warbirds..

HES  A BAD MAN!!!!!!!!!!..Would you tell him hes an idiot and doesnt deserve to fly them?   So you can have an original..rusting ina shed..that few people will get to see...

yeager...so you wan tot ban alll vintage aircraft...

thank cod you dont have control

That means I would have never flew in the  b-24 ..or a b-17

Id like to kick you for that..becuase those 2 flights were parts of my life Ill never forget

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2005, 12:26:37 PM »
that old codger should have been grounded years ago.

Just wait and see, chances are he will auger in the P51 he is flying when his ticker finally craps out.  Neither can be replaced once they are gone, lets at least keep one of em around.

The word here you need to understand is "PRESERVE"

Airplanes that are restored and kept clean and dry will last one hundred human lifetimes.  At the rate we are going all the originals still flying will be gone in less than five lifetimes.  You peeps are selfish, typical greeders.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2005, 12:35:22 PM »
When I was a kid, I used to camp on the state beach north of the LA county line.. Zuma. It was great.. got to surf, swim, sail, have a beach fire, watch the jets working in and out of Pt. Magu NAS.

The beach was never overcrowded, there was no trash; folks took their trash out with 'em. State collected a small fee.

Then one day it was all over. Preservationists succeeded in denying the beach to campers. All kinnds of restrictions popped up, from parking to beach fires and out by dusk..

Result.. nothing. The beach is still there.. but you can't enjoy it. Just look at it. Yah know what.. if it was left as it was when I was a kid, the beach would still be there.

Whats the point of denying enjoyment of something? That beach is like a warbird. Looks neat. But it's nothing compared to the experience of it in actual use. Examples of warbirds in Museums will be around for a long long time to come.. but funtional Flying Warbirds are under threat not from flight attrition.. but from dimple brained anti-divit organizations like the FAA.

This mentalaity of 'preservation' by denial of use is absurd.. "lookie, no touchie, no useie" is total BS.

Yeager, WWII Warbirds are at far more risk from being grounded by FAA hugahunks and encroaching federal saftey standards than they are from flight attrition. The FAA and Aircraft Insurers will get the results you are looking for eventually.

In the meantime, lets fly 'em; while we still can. So we can TRULY enjoy them by the experience.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2005, 12:43:09 PM »
"You peeps are selfish, typical greeders."

Really?

And you're extremely naive if you think more than a small percentage of museums actually have the resources to "preserve" their complex mechanical exhibits.  Most if not all the museums with such resources already have most if not all the stuff they can handle.

Be it airplane or locomotive or whatever, in most cases they sit around and rot.  I'd present you with the sad story of locomotive #2700 which is parked at Dennison Railroad Museum, except I doubt you'd get the point.  

Let's just say that after decades of "preservation" everything that can be stripped off it--has.  An increasing number of people want it dragged off and scrapped because it's nothing but a pitiful eyesore.  Even its boiler cladding is gone.  THAT is the sort of "preservation" you get at a majority of museums.

J_A_B

Offline Dnil

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2005, 01:08:26 PM »
I believe the warbird numbers have only been increasing over the years not declining.  Plus the only reason we have so many around is because they are flown.  If they werent flown they would have been scrapped long ago.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2005, 01:21:02 PM »

Airplanes that are restored and kept clean and dry will last one hundred human lifetimes.  At the rate we are going all the originals still flying will be gone in less than five lifetimes.  You peeps are selfish, typical greeders.

That statement is so wrong.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2005, 01:44:07 PM »
Hangtime, thank you for the clarity your analogy provides.  Plus, I now want to go to the beach, light a fire and drink beer, cool   :cool:

JAB, I appreciate the choochoo story.  I never was a train enthusiast but I know lots of peeps that are.  Good story.  

Dnil, thoughtful response and one that deserves reflection......

I will concede that as long as some genuine specimens of each type are maintained on the ground, in safety, for the ages to enjoy, its alright to fly the rest and crash and burn them one by one until none remain in flyable condition.  Just as long as there are genuine relics left in existance for future generations to enjoy.

Again, reverse engineer the original F6Fs, P38s, P51s....many restorations are performed with hardly any of the original carcass......leave the originals as they are, preserve them....go fly and crash the copies for the masses to enjoy.