Author Topic: Spitfire Vb: Did it carry 120 rnds OR 240 rnds of Cannons?  (Read 7349 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Spitfire Vb: Did it carry 120 rnds OR 240 rnds of Cannons?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2005, 09:33:14 PM »
lol... better than baiting and hooking... hinting about the inside scoop! :)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2005, 11:00:56 PM »
There is really nothing to elaborate on.  HTC is very up front about their plans and what their customers can expect.  No inside scoop.

In order of my list:

The B-29 is one of the aircraft the perk system was created  for.  The old website even said so.  It will eventually be added, but there is no timeline scheduled for it.

Flying boats may be added at some point, but the H8K2 is iffy to say the least.  The amount of 3D modeling required for it's cavernous and complex interior would make it very, very time consuming to make.  Given how few were built on top of that and even though it would be a useful aircraft in the MA it probably won't be added.

The Mosquito's odd flight behavior is a known issue.  Whenever they do get around to redoing the Mossie's 3D model they will probably add a B.Mk IV and maybe a perked B.Mk XVI.  It is not planned at this time though, so just vague future stuff.

The Me410 is something that Pyro would like to do.  It would have losts of fun options to play with and the cockpit would be unique.   Hopefully we'll see it added someday.

Pyro would like to add the Spitfire LF.Mk VIII, all things being equal, but it really depends on how much time they have.  Maybe we'll get it, maybe we won't.  It still wasn't decided when we talked.

Nightfighters don't really have a place in the game right now and the night war, although very interesting historically, isn't really something that can be done in a sim.  You don't have any of the technological cat and mouse as everybody knows all the tech.  The P-61 and Mossie NF.30 would both get used during the day in AH and the P-61 is a very interesting fighter, but they aren't really a priority.

The A-26 is the fourth possible perk bomber.  It's payload and performance are very, very good.

None of this stuff, other than the Spitfire Mk VIII, has any planned timeline to be added or not.  Right now they are doing exactly what they have said they are doing.  The programming effort is in ToD and they are trying to get the older planes updated.  Mostly it was just shooting the breeze other than the Spitfire stuff which is currently relevant.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 11:03:18 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2005, 11:23:09 PM »
man i wish they'll revisit the 190 lineup, do some important changes/add-ons to Antons

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2005, 11:33:56 PM »
Originally posted by 1K3
man i wish they'll revisit the 190 lineup, do some important changes/add-ons to Antons

Who knows.  Pyro didn't give me a sneak peak at the roadmap.  We just chatted about some stuff.  Mostly WWII aviation enthusiest to WWII aviatian enthusiest as pertaining to AH in general.  I didn't ask about Fw190s so they weren't discussed.

Certainly do not look at what I posted as some sort of "what is coming next" list.  I know no more than what they have said on the website and in posts.

We know:

The Spitfire and Bf109 are being redone for the next version.

The B-17G is the next aircraft to be brought up to AH2 standards.

The programming effort is focused on ToD with AI and mission alpha testing being done.

They have posted that and it is all that I know as well.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2005, 11:47:18 PM »
Did you talk about exactly WHAT was "off kilter" with the mossie, and what could be done to fix it? I.e. was it just the code computing how the lift works, and to fix it you'd just recode it? Or is it some characteristic of the plane/weight/lift/COG that was set wrong and could be fixed by weeding out all the variables?

That bug's been on the books for a LOOOOOooooooooong time.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2005, 11:54:56 PM »
No, not what was specific, just that it had some wrong behavior that would be fixed when it was redone.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2005, 12:05:30 AM »
ah, cc. Did you discuss the flame damper performance without flame dampers? Other moss-related issues?

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2005, 12:12:58 AM »
Krusty, a month from now: "Did you discuss how the world would end when purple aliens with trained squirrels and monkeysuits ran over Texas with a gigantic monster truck?"
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2005, 12:14:32 AM »
No.  I mentioned the Mossie for a couple of reasons, the main one of which was as an example of my understanding of how inconsistant data can be.  I have bought several Mossie books to try to get a read on it's performance and provide the needed data.  It is a hard thing to find.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2005, 12:38:06 AM »
Originally posted by OOZ662
Krusty, a month from now: "Did you discuss how the world would end when purple aliens with trained squirrels and monkeysuits ran over Texas with a gigantic monster truck?"

No you fool! Roscoroo has hte trained squirrels! The purple aliens will be by themselves! -- erm.. wait.. I've said too much!

[EXEUNT]

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2005, 04:27:01 AM »
How about 240 rounds per wing for 480 total?

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2005, 08:56:27 AM »
For what I've understood, the V never had such an option. Isn't it? :confused:

Pssst, Krusty: it's EXIT, not EXEUNT (this one is plural)... unless you meant the purple aliens!
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2005, 07:21:14 AM »
Spit VB never had more than 60rpg in its wings for the 20mm.

The Spit VB had Hispano Mk.IIs as well, not MK.Is.

The Spit VB wing remained unchanged in its service life, the blisters it had are evidence of the 20mm cannon mounting the drum. To have a VB with belt fed guns means altering the wing, they never did that.

The Spit VC with the Universal Wing, had belt fed Hispano Mk.IIs with 120 rpg in either 2, or 4 mounts.

The confusion goes like this: The Spitfire VC had the 120 rpg for its cannons, but most Spit VCs has the so called "B wing armament" of 2 x 20mm and 4 303s. That gets bastardized by folks into this: The later Spit VBs had 120 rpg". Close but not correct.

It also does not help historians that Spit VBs and VCs are externally, in many cases, almost impossible to differentiate. There have been many errouneously produced pics and docs because of this.

As for the Hispano Mk.I that never was used in the Spit V, that cannon was the original British design from the French plans, installed into the Spitfire IB. They were a failure due to design problems converting metric to imperial. The improved Hispano II served in all subsequent wartime Spits.

The Spit VC was the definitive Spit V model, it had a stronger fuselage, more ammo for its guns, a bomb rack and a 4 cannon option. It served in the ETO, MED, SW PACIFIC and CBI.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 07:29:40 AM by Squire »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2005, 08:39:54 AM »
So, in other words, what we have now is a Spit Vc with the B wing armament and we'll get a Spit Vb, isn't it?

EDIT: Problem. The Spit V we have now hasn't the stubs for the optional 2 more Hispanos, like it should if it has the Universal wing. So, what Spit V is the one we have? If it's a -b, and Squire is correct, it should already have 60 rounds per cannon, isn't it?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 08:58:39 AM by Gianlupo »
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2005, 09:04:04 AM »
Apparently....we are getting a "Spit VB".  Yes.  According to what folks are saying PYRO has said.

Why worry about the version we have now? its going to be changed probably within a month. Who cares.

2.05 will see AH with a Spit VB. I would concentrate on that.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24