Author Topic: Falcon 4.0  (Read 639 times)

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
Falcon 4.0
« on: October 20, 2005, 12:20:29 AM »
Well I just saw a new commercial for Falcon 4.0 on the military channel

WHERE THE FLUDGE IS THE NEW AH COMMERCIAL
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Central

• Nickel Member
Falcon 4.0
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 12:48:42 AM »
falcon 4..

falcon 4.o

someone around here mention.... falcon 4?!

neck
twitching

arms
figgiting...

FALCON 4???

sorry........

I live and die for f4

Offline Kurt

• Silver Member
      • http://www.clowns-of-death.com
Falcon 4.0
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 06:36:57 PM »
I thought they already did 4 and it was like the buggiest monstrosity ever released in the history of gaming.  Am I confused?  Maybe that was 3?  I dunno.  I do know it sucked big donkey.
--Kurt
Supreme Exalted Grand Pooh-bah Clown
Clowns of Death <Now Defunct>
'A pair of jokers beats a pair of aces'

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Falcon 4.0
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 07:53:25 PM »
I'm interested in picking it up.  Where and how do I get all of this stuff?
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Kurt

• Silver Member
Falcon 4.0
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 07:59:54 PM »
Ok, I thought so, this is an old game and memory says it was in fact a bug-ridden anti-Christ.

Looks like Atari has got rights to it now and has released an update.... I dunno, everything Atari has done in the last 2 years has been a bastardized rehash or a low quality quick cash release... I would wait and make sure to read lots of reviews before chasing the eye-candy on this one.

I'm hungry for a good jet sim too, but I suspect this won't be it.

from http://www.3dgamers.com
Game:    Falcon 4.0
Released:    Dec 1998
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 08:32:58 PM by Kurt »
--Kurt

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Falcon 4.0
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 08:41:01 PM »
http://www.lead-pursuit.com/

Falcon 4: Allied Force

Lot of info on it over to the SimHQ forums too.

On the third patch now since release, runs very very stable now

Offline Kurt

• Silver Member
Falcon 4.0
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 08:53:49 PM »
Thanks for the link... It would appear they've made some strides, I'll keep reading, if they've finally fixed it maybe its worth looking at again... It was sure a great game age's ago in version 1... I'd love to see where its gone.
--Kurt

Offline Swarmed

• Copper Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/kazuoson
Falcon 4.0
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 09:18:13 PM »
Kurt, if you've been following Falcon 4 lately (which apparently you haven't), you would realize it's turned into a programmers dream game. So many people have released new mods and patches to the game since the original, and have made it one bada** jet sim. The original was the best modern fighter sim around, and the dynamic campaign was and still is the best for a boxed game.

The graphics aren't the greatest, but the gameplay is super sweet.

Offline Kurt

• Silver Member
Falcon 4.0
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 12:33:33 AM »
Swarmed,
I haven't followed it because I don't support development houses that market unfinished goods to the public.

The last release Falcon 4.0 was like 60 dollars, It never worked right.  For 60 dollars I expect a working program.

Aces High for all of its failings is free, I pay 14.95 to support the bandwidth and infrastructure to connect, and it is ever improving.

But when I go to lay out $60 I expect perfection... Not patches.  Consider that every time you buy a product like that you tell the developer that you will buy their unfinished goods for the price of quality... But you expect no quality from them.  

That company has let me down before and I am going to be very slow to return.  But if you are right, and if I believe its really better, I will give them another shot...  We shall see.
--Kurt

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Falcon 4.0
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 12:54:21 AM »
If you read the SimHq / Falcon 4 Allied Force section, they cured multiplayer in the last patch and there are several dedicated campaigns running you can join.

Its quite stable, maybe not the most eye-catching since it is a bit dated graphics-wise...but if you are into a jet sim, its pretty darn hard to beat.

Offline Baine

• Copper Member
Falcon 4.0
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2005, 07:35:45 AM »
Picked up the original F4, with ring binder, for $9.99 at our local big box store. I never played it as originally released because by the time I came on board there were so many mods out there.
The sim is great, thanks to the F4 community. The only drawback with the original F4 is that multiplayer is still a headache. The improved multiplayer is the primary attraction of the F4:AF.
This is a sim well worth checking out. The dynamic campaign has kept it interesting for me for 3 years now. Only reason I haven't gotten AF yet is because my wife needed suggestions about what to get me for our anniversary next month.

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
Falcon 4.0
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2005, 08:09:52 AM »
I've jumped on the F4:AF bandwagon recently.

Now, I've never had to read a 700 page instruction manual for a video game before.. but it was actually worth it overall. If you're new to the game, don't bother with any simplified settings. They'll just confuse you later on when stepping up the realism.

A couple things...

When the original F4 programming team was let go, a few weeks later the source code hit the net. This is where all the mods came from (FreeFalcon is good, but I'm more of a BMS/SuperPak fan). A few years later Lead Pursuit started working on F4: Allied Force with Atari as the publish

Atari are nutjobs. They require a written release and approval for any mods put out for the game (or else they sue you).

F4:AF has vastly improved multiplayer stability over the original F4.

The graphics are not improved. This sucks since F4 had outdated graphics when it was originally released in 98.

The campaign system is the best of any game I've seen. Ever.

I haven't had a single crash to desktop since the last patch, and the new features are great. I've already setup the shared memory data server and F4:AF Glass panels. It's nice to have a laptop screen full of gauges seperate from the PC I'm playing the game on... It helped me stop trying to do split-s merges against cons on the deck and pancaking myself. If you have a second PC or multi-monitor setup, this stuff is incredibly useful.

Lastly, I'm buidling a 5 day long (real time!) Tactical Engagement with 800 aircraft, 200 helos, dozens of divisions, 24/7 AWACS & tankers on station, and a mean air defense system for North Korea 2010. Going to host it on my dedicated server (w/ TS!). If anybody is interested in playing (bring a squadron!) drop me an email for more details!

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Falcon 4.0
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2005, 09:48:07 AM »
Originally posted by indy007

I haven't had a single crash to desktop since the last patch, and the new features are great. I've already setup the shared memory data server and F4:AF Glass panels. It's nice to have a laptop screen full of gauges seperate from the PC I'm playing the game on... It helped me stop trying to do split-s merges against cons on the deck and pancaking myself. If you have a second PC or multi-monitor setup, this stuff is incredibly useful.

Im running multiple monitors but didnt know of this.  Details!  Is this a campaign thing only?

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
Falcon 4.0
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2005, 10:12:28 AM »
Eagle9 makes it. There's versions available for Falcon 4 (BMS+SuperPak), F4: AF (v1.1) & F4: AF (v1.3). I'd kill for AH to have something similar.

I've just started my pit and it's just a bundle of wires & switches at the moment, but the end goal is to have something similar to this.. Also check my multi-monitor post in the wishlist to see what I'm waiting on to use as the base for it. Beats needing multiple pc's :)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Falcon 4.0
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2005, 10:38:23 AM »
So the game outputs the data to these intruments to really work?

I've seen some other pits...but just fancy labels and resin knobs, etc.  His site doesnt mention Falcon 4 AF but its a neat read