Author Topic: IL2 Beta Registration  (Read 1485 times)

AKSeaWulfe

IL2 Beta Registration
« on: April 09, 2001, 02:33:00 PM »
Sometime over the weekend I recieved notification that I would not be part of the beta team. (well I ain't buyin it then until I read the bug reports from someone other than part of their beta testing team)

Anyways, here's the email I recieved. I find it kind of interesting, while I know they are Russian and their English may not be good I was a little perplexed by the following email:

Dear friend,

We are sorry to inform you that you lost the contest for "IL-2.
Sturmovik"

beta-testing and will not be able to take part in it.

Thank you for participating in the contest. We are sure you will have more luck next time.

Your IL2 Team

The interesting/confusing part is the whole idea that I lost(?) a contest(?). What "contest" did I "lose"? The asskissing one? No doubt unless you posted 4000 times on the IL2 message board "Oh I want to plant a nice big kiss on your bellybutton Oleg", you won't "win" this "contest"...

So in conclusion, if this was indeed a contest between idiots posting about a game that isn't even out yet... chances are you've lost unless you post like Ripsnort on PCP (6000+ posts in a year times 5000) over on the IL2 boards.

Bitter? No. I just have a feeling the people they picked are going to be the ones that beta tested B172....

When's the next IL2 beta-ass-kissing-contest registration begin? I want to know I'm actually in a competition rather than blindly sign up for one.
<G>
-SW

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
IL2 Beta Registration
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2001, 02:37:00 PM »
LOL...I got the same email.  I thought it kinda strange for them to inform me that I lost a contest too.  

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
IL2 Beta Registration
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2001, 02:45:00 PM »

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
IL2 Beta Registration
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2001, 03:06:00 PM »
I would have worn a different bathing suit...

honestly though, I think what we are seeing is a Russian trying to speak English, and getting a little mixed up... I wouldn't be surprised if 'contest' was next to the entry for 'drawing' - from what I understood, it was completely random, aside from perhaps a few different systems they wanted the game to be tried on.

Offline mx22

• Zinc Member
IL2 Beta Registration
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2001, 03:43:00 PM »
Yep,

IL-2 board sometimes reminds me of an ass-kissing contest, I guess it's all about how much you want to give up to get your hands on a copy of the game before everyone else does.

mx22

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
IL2 Beta Registration
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2001, 04:02:00 PM »
"The selection and registration of candidates for the beta testing begins immediately. Blue Byte will choose suitable candidates from those applying to take part. This will be done on the basis of the candidate's hardware in tandem with a random selection process."

Seriously guys... its just the translation... don't get too worked up about it.

AKSeaWulfe

IL2 Beta Registration
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2001, 04:11:00 PM »

Originally posted by Kratzer:
"The selection and registration of candidates for the beta testing begins immediately. Blue Byte will choose suitable candidates from those applying to take part. This will be done on the basis of the candidate's hardware in tandem with a random selection process."

I'm not, but did you check out one of the posts by one of the guys selected? "This is my first beta test"... okay, and I've been in several so again... I "lost" the "contest" how? Hey to each their own, bet you 10 bucks IL2 gets the royal pooch screw before it gets shipped out. Can anyone say Red Baron II?

Hehe, you fellas might not want to buy the game until it's been out for a few months.. else you might wanna bend over and get shafted by the "IL2 Team".

Just advice from someone who bought Red Baron II and B17-2 and FS:SDOE... (good concepts.. but where in the hell did their flight model go???? I'd tell you, but then I'd have to keel you ;-)
-SW

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
IL2 Beta Registration
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2001, 05:24:00 PM »

Originally posted by Kratzer:

I'm not getting worked up about it.... I just thought it was funny.  

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
IL2 Beta Registration
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2001, 05:41:00 PM »
Dear friend,

Congratulation! You were chosen for beta-testing of "IL-2. Sturmovik".

Thank you for participating in the contest. Please wait for beta release.

Your IL2 Team

Hmmmm....

I never made a single post on the IL-2 board. <G>

So much for that theory.  

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
IL2 Beta Registration
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2001, 05:43:00 PM »
Get over it SeaWulfe and just be happy that this means that the release and independent reviews (or bug reports like you call them    ) are getting closer.

Yeah Jihad. Some guy over at SimHQ was complaining about all the hype for a while until he later informed that he had just recieve e-mail with beta-acceptance. Maybe you should try go over there and complain Seawulfe.  

(PS: The above example turned out to be pure coincidence. At least that was what Oleg said   )

[This message has been edited by LLv34_Snefens (edited 04-09-2001).]
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline mx22

• Zinc Member
IL2 Beta Registration
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2001, 05:51:00 PM »
jihad,

I didn't imply that selection was made that way, just my opinion on what I saw on the board.

mx22

AKSeaWulfe

IL2 Beta Registration
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2001, 06:02:00 PM »
No thanks Snefens, I just thought the email they sent out was "funny" in the way it was worded and the way it was presented.

Besides, if they want to run whatever form of a "sim" they have right now into the ground by choosing inexperienced beta testers that are playing the game not actively searching through the entire game to find bugs... well that's their choice.

I actually don't care to be part of the beta test, I just have this awkward feeling (hmmm past experiences maybe?) that they chose some of the least experienced people to test the software. Maybe they were going for the "Wow these graphics are sooooo cool" crowd so they wouldn't have to deal with the "Hey... wait a second this isn't working right" crowd. Path of least resistance I guess? ;-)

Jihad is in the beta test? Hmmmmm why do I feel my opinion of what's going on with that beta test process quickly being proven correct?    
-SW

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
IL2 Beta Registration
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2001, 06:27:00 PM »
Most stupid thread I've seen in ages...
Or best troll I've seen here in a while  

ps: How did you know they selected inexperienced people to test it?

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
IL2 Beta Registration
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2001, 07:12:00 PM »
Does that mean im still in the competition?  

tho, i haven't got "congrats, you won" messages either  

and i can't blame on the slow postal worker either.

AKSeaWulfe

IL2 Beta Registration
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2001, 07:26:00 PM »

Originally posted by Staga:

ps: How did you know they selected inexperienced people to test it?

Well, I will find out for sure when it goes Gold... now won't I?    

Simple fact that already one person is confirmed as having zilch experience as far as beta testing (load testing, feature testing, command testing, etc) makes me shudder...    and think twice about even considering on buying IL2.
-SW