Author Topic: George Bush's Statement of Faith  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
George Bush's Statement of Faith
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2005, 01:51:11 AM »
"We just had a high level AQ guy walk off base. Sounds pretty tortuous to me. Considering to horrific dog leash tortures, the unhumane nekkid triangle tortures....the disrespectful cute babes dirty underwear rapped around your head tortures....the barking dogs make you pee your pants tortures.......yes, the United States is truly a horrific and inhumane member of the geneva convention....you know, the same geneva convention with AQ as a member, the same AQ that slices off peoples heads while those people have their hands tied behind their back and are fully alive and absolutely terrorized as they are being murdered, slowly and with the apparant pleasure of there murderers. The same AQ that uses suicide murderers to kill innocents with intention and without remorse. Flying 767s full of innocents into high rise buildings full of innocents.

Im surprised some of you arent fighting for AQ, wait..........."

Dozens of people beaten to death in american custody and yeager thinks its hillarios and anyone that dislikes it is fighting for alquida

Offline lada

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2005, 03:01:59 AM »
Originally posted by weaselsan

Here

Its not that hard
http://www.shaolin.be/foto/Titel3/Plat/qi-gong-china.jpg

Ahh those bloody commies...

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2005, 06:09:16 AM »
Originally posted by Pongo
[B...Dozens of people beaten to death in american custody and yeager thinks its hillarios and anyone that dislikes it is fighting for alquida [/B]

Yeager's insinuation that anyone who disagrees with McCain's anti-torture amendment (for lack of a better name) is fighting for Al Quaeda is about the same as me accusing Bush of supporting torture.    It's just exaggeration to drive a point home.

As far as Gun's point that you can disagree with how something is written and not be in favor of the opposite - I understand McCain has said he is not opposed to technical changes in the amendment.   So we'll see what comes of that.    It did pass as it was with overwhelming majority in the Republican-controlled Senate.

Maybe its similiar to our condemnation of Muslims who don't speak out loudly against the terrorists.   Just because they aren't outspoken critics may not mean they support Al Queada.

Guns can you enlighten us as to just what interrogation techniques are outlined in the Army Field Manual?

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2005, 06:53:22 AM »

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2005, 07:18:55 AM »
Originally posted by oboe
Thanks for posting Seagoon.  I read the whole thing.

In my mind it is very hard to reconcile his statement of faith with his behavior - his mocking of death row inmate Carla Faye Tucker's plea for life before executing her, his vulgar antics before cameras which he apparently thought were not recording, his economic policies which harm the poor and reward the rich, and most incredibly, his support for the torture of prisoners of war (where is his avowed respect for Life?).    

I'm sure we could go back and forth on this, but in my opinion these are not the actions of someone who follows the teachings of Jesus Christ.

TORTURE?????Yeah your right Oboe. The AQ prisoners shouldn't have underwear put on their heads , or be humiliated in anyway. They should just be put before a camera , have some Bull#### political statement read. Then get beheaded and have the video posted on the internet.

As far as Carla Faye Tucker. Since she  found Jesus , she should have been turned lose, and sent to live in a nieghborhood of her choice. Forget what that little skank did to other people. Maybe you'd like to have her in your nieghborhood, near your , wife or children? Too bad Ted Bundy wasn't captured and executed in Texas while Bush was Gov. You could whine about that too.:rofl :cry

Just because George Bush made a statement of faith or doesn't mean every vicious killer SOB that gets captured doesn't get whats coming to them. The people you bemoan here just so you can ride the anti bush train, wouldn't think twice about killing you, or yours.
WAKE THE **** UP!
:rofl

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2005, 08:00:44 AM »
Sorry, my mistake Indy - I must've misread the intent of your post then.

I have to say I think our morals must guide our behavior in all situations.   I don't think its much of a morality if we choose to employ it or disregard it depending on the situation.    I understand some may disagree with that, but it just doesn't seem right to me.

It's not right. It's not supposed to be right by our own morality. It is what it is, unfortunately. Al Queda has set the rules for the conflict. They choose to win at all costs. We can either play by the same rules and be just as terrible, and argueably be much more effective with the gloves off... or we can go along as our own morality dictates, play by our set of rules so we feel good about it... but that didn't work particularly well in Vietnam either.

When the stakes are the existence of a culture, are you willing to pay the price to preserve it or not? Is the price worth it? Those are the important questions.

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2005, 08:04:05 AM »
If God be for us, who can be against us?

Originally posted by GtoRA2
Have we beaten any prisoners to death while torturing them?

Nothing like being sent to Egypt for a little rendition...

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2005, 08:24:45 AM »
Hi Shifty -

Its getting to be a long thread, but yes, somewhere back there I was called on use of the word "torture" by Yeager, and I agreed it was probably not a good word to use, and that it was unfair.

Here are excerpts of McCain's statement regarding his amendment:
...Let me begin by noting that the Army Field Manual and its various editions have served America well, through wars against both regular and irregular foes. The Manual embodies the values Americans have embraced for generations, while preserving the ability of our interrogators to extract critical intelligence from ruthless foes. Never has this been more important than today, in the midst of the war on terror.

To fight terrorism it is obvious that we must obtain intelligence, but we have to ensure that it is reliable and acquired in a way that is humane. To do otherwise not only offends our national morals, but undermines our efforts to protect the nation’s security. Abuse of prisoners harms – not helps – us in the war on terror, because inevitably these abuses become public. When they do, the cruel actions of a few darken the reputation of our honorable country in the eyes of millions. Mistreatment of our prisoners also endangers U.S. service members who might be captured by the enemy – if not in this war, then in the next.

The Army Field Manual authorizes interrogation techniques that have proven effective in extracting life-saving information from the most hardened enemy prisoners. It also recognizes that torture and cruel treatment are ineffective methods, because they induce prisoners to say what their interrogators want to hear, even if it is not true, while bringing discredit upon the United States....

The amendment I am offering would establish the Army Field Manual as the standard for interrogation of all detainees held in DOD custody....

Mr. President, let me just close by noting that I hold no brief for the prisoners. I do hold a brief for the reputation of the United States of America. We are Americans, and we hold ourselves to humane standards of treatment of people no matter how evil or terrible they may be. To do otherwise, as I have noted, undermines our security, but it also undermines our greatness as a nation. We are not simply any other country. We stand for something more in the world – a moral mission, one of freedom and democracy and human rights at home and abroad. We are better than these terrorists, and we will we win. The enemy we fight has no respect for human life or human rights. They don’t deserve our sympathy. But this isn’t about who they are. This is about who we are. These are the values that distinguish us from our enemies.

I cannot put it any better than that.   Here is the
link to the full text of his address.   I cannot for the life of me understand how any reasonable American could be opposed to this - unless the opposition originates from a misunderstanding.  If that's case I hope this clears it up.

Regarding Carla Faye Tucker and the death penalty - I am not against the death penalty.   In fact in many cases I wish it was carried out more swiftly and surely.   What I objected strongly to was Bush's public mocking of her request for a stay - complete with a scrunched up face imitating her distress.   I found such a display far beneath the dignity of a public official, devoid of the mercy or compassion one might reasonably expect from someone who has committed his heart to Jesus Christ.   I didn't say that she should not have been executed.   I read Bush's statement about his decision to continue with her execution and I didn't fault him for what he said there - only for the immature, childish and cruel imitation he did of her in response to her request to be spared.  

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2005, 09:15:12 AM »
Yeager's insinuation that anyone who disagrees with McCain's anti-torture amendment (for lack of a better name) is fighting for Al Quaeda is about the same as me accusing Bush of supporting torture.    It's just exaggeration to drive a point home.

As far as Gun's point that you can disagree with how something is written and not be in favor of the opposite - I understand McCain has said he is not opposed to technical changes in the amendment.   So we'll see what comes of that.    It did pass as it was with overwhelming majority in the Republican-controlled Senate.

Maybe its similiar to our condemnation of Muslims who don't speak out loudly against the terrorists.   Just because they aren't outspoken critics may not mean they support Al Queada.

Guns can you enlighten us as to just what interrogation techniques are outlined in the Army Field Manual?

here's a good place to start http://www.globalsecurity.org/intell/library/policy/army/fm/fm34-52/

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2005, 10:26:03 AM »
i don't care if i'm one of the good guys, i just want to be one of the winners.

war is not a game, it's a fight to the death.

Offline ChickenHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2005, 11:14:33 AM »
...Let me begin by noting that the Army Field Manual and its various editions have served America well, through wars against both regular and irregular foes. The Manual embodies the values Americans have embraced for generations, while preserving the ability of our interrogators to extract critical intelligence from ruthless foes. Never has this been more important than today, in the midst of the war on terror.

To fight terrorism it is obvious that we must obtain intelligence, but we have to ensure that it is reliable and acquired in a way that is humane. To do otherwise not only offends our national morals, but undermines our efforts to protect the nation’s security. Abuse of prisoners harms – not helps – us in the war on terror, because inevitably these abuses become public. When they do, the cruel actions of a few darken the reputation of our honorable country in the eyes of millions. Mistreatment of our prisoners also endangers U.S. service members who might be captured by the enemy – if not in this war, then in the next.

The Army Field Manual authorizes interrogation techniques that have proven effective in extracting life-saving information from the most hardened enemy prisoners. It also recognizes that torture and cruel treatment are ineffective methods, because they induce prisoners to say what their interrogators want to hear, even if it is not true, while bringing discredit upon the United States....

The amendment I am offering would establish the Army Field Manual as the standard for interrogation of all detainees held in DOD custody....

Mr. President, let me just close by noting that I hold no brief for the prisoners. I do hold a brief for the reputation of the United States of America. We are Americans, and we hold ourselves to humane standards of treatment of people no matter how evil or terrible they may be. To do otherwise, as I have noted, undermines our security, but it also undermines our greatness as a nation. We are not simply any other country. We stand for something more in the world – a moral mission, one of freedom and democracy and human rights at home and abroad. We are better than these terrorists, and we will we win. The enemy we fight has no respect for human life or human rights. They don’t deserve our sympathy. But this isn’t about who they are. This is about who we are. These are the values that distinguish us from our enemies.

As a POW in Vietnam I can't think of anyone more qualified to write on the subject.  I've always respected McCain for his service to this country but after reading that, I will most likely vote for him as president if he runs in 08.
Do not attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, fear, ignorance or stupidity, because there are millions more garden variety idiots walking around in the world than there are blackhearted Machiavellis.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2005, 11:08:22 AM »
Originally posted by Shifty
TORTURE?????Yeah your right Oboe. The AQ prisoners shouldn't have underwear put on their heads , or be humiliated in anyway.

If you are implying that that was the worst that happened than you either misinformed or purposely misleading your audience.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2005, 03:38:48 PM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
If you are implying that that was the worst that happened than you either misinformed or purposely misleading your audience.

a source or link proves your point much more efficiently.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2005, 04:31:40 PM »
I too have always liked the CainMan but he is not pro gun.  He is not quite anti gun but I dont trust him.  I will vote for Jeb Bush because I always liked watching the tv series dynasty.

:aok
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2005, 06:22:55 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
a source or link proves your point much more efficiently.

"- Manadel Al-Jamadi, who was being held at Abu Ghraib, the Iraqi prison in which the well-known abuse of prisoners took place. He died on November 4, 2003, of "blunt force injuries complicated by compromised respiration," doctors said. Two CIA personnel, an officer and a contract translator, were present when he died. The agency and Justice Department are investigating."

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/22/1085176035220.html?from=storylhs&oneclick=true