Author Topic: Bakka bombs  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Billy Joe Bob

• Nickel Member
Bakka bombs
« on: November 07, 2005, 06:38:22 PM »
can we have Bakka bombs? for those who dont know, they are sort of like a v1 launched from a betty bomber and then would ram into a carrier. they went like 500 mph or something and were VERY hard to shoot down.

p.s. can we have it so damage would be caused by ramming a plane into a ship?

Offline Klum25th

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
      • http://www.75thrazgriz.bravehost.com
Bakka bombs
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 06:48:46 PM »
I think a long time ago we had a post about Kamakazis and some people liked it and others said that it was a bad idea because it made people from japan or something mad about having Kamakazis, something like that.

I think it be a good idea to add damage to a ship if u rammed it. Who knows maybe we will get a Kamakazi plane with tons of explosion stored in the nose.      eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeee KABOOOOOOM!!!!!!

Offline Billy Joe Bob

• Nickel Member
Bakka bombs
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 06:55:58 PM »
Bakkas should be added because it would be historically accurate. if it was used in reeal life then  shouldnt it be in the game?

Offline *NDM*JohnnyX

• Copper Member
Bakka bombs
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 07:17:31 PM »
They weren't very common. Most of the times it was just a regular plane packed with explosives.

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
Bakka bombs
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 07:41:57 PM »
I'd settle for a Betty.

One needs them for Ohkas.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Bakka bombs
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 08:04:18 PM »
The downside to kamikazi attacks in WW2 was the loss of pilots. In AH there is no loss of pilots and therefore would have no downside to ramming a plane into something to destroy it.

Offline SMIDSY

• Silver Member
Bakka bombs
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 08:49:14 PM »
do not call them bakka bombs. that is an american nickname for them. they are ohkas, meening cherry blossem.

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
Bakka bombs
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 09:42:12 PM »
It amazes me sometimes how sensitive the Japanese can be about
names, yet seemingly not give a fig about atrocities committed.

Must be a cultural thing I guess.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline gnubee

• Copper Member
Bakka bombs
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 09:44:58 PM »
Not to highjack a thread and turn it into a kamakazi discussion...but i have to agree with Raptor. (What follows is NOT a moral argument)

There is no loss when we lose a virtual life...so it would be no big deal to up over and over again in the fastest plane possible with the idea of ramming a ship.

Not only that, when the Japanese sent in the Kamakazi, the would usually do it at 1 or 2 at a time... while the others heald their positions above the fleet.  It was a tactical flaw on their part, but it gave the gunners on the ships at least a fighting chance.  Given how much we tend to swarm in this game, I would imagine a bunch of folks would up and swarm a carrier, thus killing it much faster than they currently go down in the game.  Ultimatly, i think playability would suffer as a result.  

There are a few ways that this issue could be addressed... we could turn up the accuracy of the already deadly CV ack... but then folks who try it the old fashioned way with egg's or torpedos wouldn't stand a chance.

Or maybe it could be modled that only 1 type of plane can collide and damage a CV.  That plane could be uber perked, guarenteeing that whoever flew it was going to lose a bunch of perks (100+?).  

I dunno... just some thoughts.

BTW... they have an Ohkas (is that the plural?) at the Udva-Hazy annex of the Air and Space museum.  It's pretty sweet (the Ohka and the rest of the air craft in the collection.)  They also have a Do 335, another sweet German night fighter that I'm blanking on the name, and an Ardo 234 with RATO packs... oooooohhhh baby.

PPS... I myself would love to have the Betty too.  I flew it a lot in WarBirds 2.77 because it's climb rate was amazing.  It would be a nice to have in the arsenal when attacking a 10K VH base. :aok

PPPS... sorry for changing the subject bud... and thanks to all for reading my $.02

-scott

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
Bakka bombs
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 10:32:53 PM »
If we could have the Ohka, it might limit its swarming potential if it can only be launched from one type of plane and has to be flown by an actual pilot, not launched like a cruise missile. Takes two pilots to make one attack. Plus you also have to consider that the launch plane has to take the time to fly to the target and climb to a drop altitude. Especially if the bomb was modelled so that there was a 3-4 second delay from being dropped to its engine igniting. I doubt even the Japanese Kamikaze pilots would have wanted a rocket engine igniting too close to a flying gas tank with 2 pilots and various other crewmen.

Secondly, you would have the added issue of the bomber being shot down before it could get within range- I believe the Ohka only had a minute or two of fuel, if that much. Most of its payload was devoted to the warhead. The Betty was not that rugged of a plane- legendary for not being that strong, as we all know. Many of them would probably be shot down before they could effectively deploy the Ohka, as they were in the war.

Third, it would be difficult to get one through and hit the Carrier without a lot of practice. A piloted bomb is probably not that maneuverable, and I imagine it would be quite difficult to turn at speed to hit a turning or swerving ship, or to avoid a diving fighter. And probably impossible to survive the ack-ack and covering fighters long enough to climb out, turn around, and dive in for a second run if they did miss.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline SMIDSY

• Silver Member
Bakka bombs
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 11:49:22 PM »
calling them bakka bombs is an insult to the brave men who gave their lives in these devices. would be like calling dustoff pilots "unarmed retards".

btw, i am not japanese. i just get pissed off when gallant men are insulted for no reason.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 11:51:42 PM by SMIDSY »

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Bakka bombs
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 10:28:36 AM »
Was it brave men giving their lives?

NUTS!
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Bakka bombs
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 10:52:42 AM »
They were forced to. As much as if a gun had been placed to their heads. They weren't willing participants. There was simply no way they'd be able ot say "no I won't do this".

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Bakka bombs
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 11:12:22 AM »
Originally posted by Billy Joe Bob
Bakkas should be added because it would be historically accurate. if it was used in reeal life then  shouldnt it be in the game?

So do you want little concentration camps with smoke curling from the chimneys?

NOT.

Historical accuracy isnt the question. Would Ohkas add value to Aces High II either in gameplay, or in business value?

The answer to both is a resounding no.

Gameplay? If you want the experience of a Kamikaze pilot, just join the hordes taking lancs on Stuka runs. Drop bombs right before you impact, and you've done more damage than the Ohka.

Business Value? I cant imagine any way that AH2 would attract nearly as many players as it woudl lose from kamikaze "features". The game would risk being CNN's "awful video game threatening civilization" for a week, and it would likely lose droves of players.

It's a no gain, high risk move. Dont look for the Ohka anytime soon.

Like ever.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
Bakka bombs
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 11:37:40 AM »
Agree with Simaril, but I woulda put it nicer:p
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++