Author Topic: rocket to GV aiming  (Read 843 times)

Offline airbumba

• Silver Member
rocket to GV aiming
« on: November 14, 2005, 07:45:49 PM »
Hey all:

Now that I have a better machine, and the code has eased up a tad, I can use the Ground Vis , and now enjoy attacking gv's. I'm ok with bombs, since for 4 years that's what I used against the gv's, but the rockets I have trouble with.

Back when I was with The Lucky Strikes, someone had mentioned a sight that was good for rocket to GV aiming, if using the proper marks on the sight.

Does someone know what sight that was, and maybe a quick refresher on how to use it for rocket to GV attacks?

Thanks in advance for any and all info, .
I used to be a fatalist,
but that part of me died.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
rocket to GV aiming
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 09:15:45 AM »
I think the p-51D sight has that stuff on it. IMO its better to just get used to where the rockets go with the 'picture' your looking at out front. In the TA the training sight comes on when you select either rockets or bombs and after a few practice pases you get the feel for it. Of course my opinion probably means squat here because I can rarely hit a moving GV with A2G rockets.  Heck, I can't even hit them when they aren't moving.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
rocket to GV aiming
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 01:37:05 PM »
Two of the best planes to use for Rocket attacks are the P38J & G models.  The rocket pods are right under the pilot (on the belly of course).  And this helps with the attack as they are right in front of you. :aok   Now as far as aiming them, Fuzeman is correct as the P51D sight has marks on it...  The circles below the center of the sight is for rockets.... just make sure your angle is good, 45^ will do it... just like dropping eggs!
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
rocket to GV aiming
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 01:39:47 PM »
if you are diving at more than 45 degrees, and the range to target is less than 2k, the rockets will mostly always fly true to your sights.

as for killing Pnsrs, tigers, T34 or Ostis with,  good luck.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
rocket to GV aiming
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 05:17:25 PM »
The F4Us seem to be the easiest for me to use for the rockets. I aim between the bottom of the sight and the sight mount.  Get ready to watch the rockets bounce off the top of the Tiger though. First you get excited because its a direct hit, then the frustration sits in:D

Offline Iceman24

• Nickel Member
      • http://479th.jasminemarie.com/
rocket to GV aiming
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 09:55:12 AM »
*Two of the best planes to use for Rocket attacks are the P38J & G models. The rocket pods are right under the pilot (on the belly of course). *

They are both good planes to use, but I do not believe that the J and G models had the rocket pods, the L model does and it helps greatly with aiming, u will suffer from the extra drag associated with carrying the pods, even after u fire the rockets because the pods stay there. I'm not sure in real life if the J or G had pods, I know the models in our game do not, only the L...

My favorite plane to use rockets with is anyone that has at least 10, P38L or P47(last 2 models have rockets). They appear to be mounted to the wing with no pods but they seem to fire exactly like the P38L model which I believe is the only plane we have that has the rocket pods modelled... I think, please correct me if I'm wrong...

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
rocket to GV aiming
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 02:20:37 PM »
The G and J have the bazooka tubes for rockets.

Offline airbumba

• Silver Member
rocket to GV aiming
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 07:31:13 PM »
Originally posted by Iceman24
[Bsnipped ...

My favorite plane to use rockets with is anyone that has at least 10, P38L or P47(last 2 models have rockets). They appear to be mounted to the wing with no pods but they seem to fire exactly like the P38L model which I believe is the only plane we have that has the rocket pods modelled... I think, please correct me if I'm wrong... [/B]

Thanks for the info guys .

Ya icemean the jug is what i use mostly for jaboing, (and the hellcat). My last braincell had a flashback, I think the sight in question was made for the Jug by an individual, it's not stock AH. Now if only I could keep that cell awake long enough to remem......oops there it goes. I'll have to start looking for the sights lists.

Besides, thanks to what you guys say, I'm not even gunna waste my time with rockets on the tanks, maybe on the lighter stuff. Ya but if i'm only hittin lighter stuff, then I'm probably better off with the afore mentioned 38's, 110 or IL2 anyway. hmm.

Thanks again for the info
I used to be a fatalist,
but that part of me died.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
rocket to GV aiming
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 07:33:31 PM »
One of the 190s and the IL2 have rockets that are made to bust tanks. The HVARs are HE IIRC...
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline outbreak

• Nickel Member
rocket to GV aiming
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 08:07:45 PM »
Easiest Way to kill a GV= Lancaster III :D

Offline Iceman24

• Nickel Member
      • http://479th.jasminemarie.com/
rocket to GV aiming
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 10:38:31 AM »
u don't need 1000lbers either, 250lb bombs dropped on there heads will destroy any gv IMO, work on your rockets though bud, after a little practice you'll be able to shoot em from over 1.5k out and get hits, 2-3 will take out a tank or damage it badly, sometimes 1 on an M16 or flak is plenty, also remember that you will see a trai lof smoke for only a few seconds then they will freefall / freeflight the rest of the way, the Germans had some pretty cool air to air rockets that can be used effectively against buff formations, do a search of rocket aiming in here and you'll see a bunch of posts about how to aim, and theres videos and clips as well. I think one of the BK's, possibly Morpheus (sorry if I'm wrong) made a short clip that shows the air to air rockets hitting a buff formation, the rocket doesn't actually hit the buff, it gets in the proximity then explodes, so u theoretically you can aim for the middle buff and get hits on all 3 from a high 6 shot. Also on our squads website http://479th.jasminemarie.com/
theres a film that Murdr made, I can't remember which clip it is, but he's shooting them 1 at a time at upping aircraft from like 2-3k out it looks like, he gets allot of kills like that in this particular film

Offline Nosara

• Copper Member
rockets
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 10:03:55 AM »
Rockets are great for FAC use to mark GVs so you can vector friendly armor to a target. Smoke rockets would be great. Though Im not sure if they were used in WW2 for that purpose.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
rocket to GV aiming
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 10:10:33 AM »
Do not use rudder to correct your aim when shooting rockets. Same as for dive bombing, the rockets follow the flight path, not the longitudinal axis of your plane (ie correcting with rudder wont change path of rockets/bombs).
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
rocket to GV aiming
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 11:56:01 AM »
Rockets bounce off tanks at some angles..

Hilarious to watch.