Author Topic: Tech help for a buddy  (Read 158 times)

Offline tapakeg

• Nickel Member
Tech help for a buddy
« on: November 20, 2005, 11:33:16 AM »
A friend of mine is trying to get his computer up and running.  Here is his problem.......

"I recently upgraded from a 128mb 6600GT to a x800 XT 256mb and I am only able to run at 800x600@60hz, with low settings. If I turn up the Resoltion or Graphic level, BF2 locks up within 10seconds of spawning. I then get a Blank blue screen and Hard reboot. I have the same issue in SP as well as online.
Specs: 2.8ghz AMD socket 754 1.5 Gb Ram 450w generic PSU radeon x800xt
I am currently using the omega drivers, but I had the same issue using the catalyst drivers. I have uninstalled and reinstalled BF2. Deleted cache. I also used Driver Cleaner to try to get rid of my Nvdia drivers competely. I removed my sound card just in case.

I don;t think heat is causing the lock up because I am able to play for hours at 800x600 without any probs. My best guess is power, and I am borrowing a friends PSU tomorrow. Anyone have any suggestions??? thanks"

He can play all games fine,  ie....Halflife 2

but when he tries to play BF2 he can only play for about 10 seconds.  He bought the x800 to upgrade his 6600.  His 6600 played the game ok, he just wanted better graphics.

Any help is appreciated.

Tapakeg
You know that your landing gear is up and locked when it takes full power to taxi to the terminal

Offline SkyChimp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Re: Tech help for a buddy
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 04:22:54 PM »
Originally posted by tapakeg
A friend of mine is trying to get his computer up and running.  Here is his problem.......

"I recently upgraded from a 128mb 6600GT to a x800 XT 256mb and I am only able to run at 800x600@60hz, with low settings. If I turn up the Resoltion or Graphic level, BF2 locks up within 10seconds of spawning. I then get a Blank blue screen and Hard reboot. I have the same issue in SP as well as online.
Specs: 2.8ghz AMD socket 754 1.5 Gb Ram 450w generic PSU radeon x800xt
I am currently using the omega drivers, but I had the same issue using the catalyst drivers. I have uninstalled and reinstalled BF2. Deleted cache. I also used Driver Cleaner to try to get rid of my Nvdia drivers competely. I removed my sound card just in case.

I don;t think heat is causing the lock up because I am able to play for hours at 800x600 without any probs. My best guess is power, and I am borrowing a friends PSU tomorrow. Anyone have any suggestions??? thanks"

He can play all games fine,  ie....Halflife 2

but when he tries to play BF2 he can only play for about 10 seconds.  He bought the x800 to upgrade his 6600.  His 6600 played the game ok, he just wanted better graphics.

Any help is appreciated.

Tapakeg

I had problem something like this (it has something to do with power and heat)

Mine burns up because i have a pos psu lol. Fan wont run fast nuff.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Tech help for a buddy
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 04:39:09 PM »
My guess would be that the x800 has bad ram. Test with another display card and if you can top the resolution RMA the card.

You did plug the auxiliary power cable to the x800 tho right?
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline tapakeg

• Nickel Member
Tech help for a buddy
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 09:01:01 PM »
yeah, the power cable is attached to the Vid card

He did buy a PCI slot powered fan, one that blows straight to the Vid card and he said it makes a difference.

I don't know how much,  he's coming over tomorow I'll check
You know that your landing gear is up and locked when it takes full power to taxi to the terminal