Author Topic: Rerun Malta with sides switched?  (Read 4772 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Rerun Malta with sides switched?
« on: November 20, 2005, 11:28:16 PM »
I heard some talk of running Fire Over Malta again, but with the registrants switching sides.  That would be great, and a lot of fun.  Are we going to do it?

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 01:54:52 AM »
oh you mean you want to fly lw with the historical numbers advantage?

:cool:
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 02:06:25 AM »
Nope, I'm fine flying same conditions the axis guys had.  I figure we'd have some attrition and new players and could balance it the same way.  I'd also be very pleased to fly anything -- 109E-4's, Ju 88's, Ju 87's -- whatever is the least popular or most needed.  For me, I just love flying in scenarios regardless of whether the odds are in my favor or against me.  Also, it's fun to experience the fight from the other perspective.

Also, switching sides and running Malta again would happen now, whereas another scenario will take months probably to come about.  This would give me a way to fly in a scenario again much more quickly.

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 04:36:52 AM »
Originally posted by Shane
oh you mean you want to fly lw with the historical numbers advantage?

:cool:

Ya right sure . . .

The ALLIES always get the better reg numbers !

;)
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 06:36:40 AM »
brooke said, "switch sides"  not "re-run" with new registration.

:aok
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 06:48:25 AM »
I'm IN!

sign me up for whatever squad shane was in, they got all the meat.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline EagleEyes

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/bassim
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 07:14:21 AM »
Count me in!!  Id have a blast flying as axis!
Joedog31

GL IV./JG4 for Red Storm Krupp Steel
***The Flying Circus*** MA
334th FS "The Eagles" - FSO

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 07:47:17 AM »
Originally posted by mechanic
I'm IN!

sign me up for whatever squad shane was in, they got all the meat.

heh, not really... altho JB42 did very well the frame i missed.

and in frame 3, i think at least 3 (2 for sure) of my kills were proxies when I got some overzealous allies to auger in some low rolling scissors. :aok

while I have no plms running as allied with reversed sides, it'll be interesting to see how the spit5 matches up. But then the armament superiorty of the allied rides would probably be offset by the numerical advantage of the axis (if indeed with reversed sides and comparable attendance).

I want my 109F gondies baaaaaaack!!!! 1 20mm vs 2-4 20mm makes life interesting to say the least.

it would also be highly amusing to see all these spit and hurri weenies flopping around helpless in the uberexperten untermodeled peashooting 109's - the leather undies would chafe and make their heads explode! :rofl

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 09:53:22 AM »
I proposed hosting this side switch to give everyone a chance to see the other side.

I am not interested in reopening registration and doing it all over again.  I offered to host the rerun so the Axis and Allies TEAMs had an opportunity to see the event from the other side with the same people they flew with before.

The allies may lose people due to the suckage that has been promoted as the Axis Conditions.  This would logically assume that the Allies would be pigpiled with requests to be on the Allies side.  

Personally, I don't see many people bailing from the former Allies team.

If Both Teams are not fully interested, then it would be a waste of time.

The Conditions Will Remain The Same, No changes to the setup, no changes to the roster, walkons would go to the Lowest Side with the disadvantage.  Simple event.  I don't want to implement setup changes that might occur in another complete run, only to open up cries of Unfair or complaints that one side didn't get to do what this new side got etc.

I am willing to host this in early January, as there is a gap between events, and that should give ample time to practice and plan.

Again, having Not heard from NASO, I am making no committments that this will run.  It's still conceptual and based entirely on the level of participation and or complaints :)

Talk me into this if you want it.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 10:21:19 AM »
Since all 3 frames were pretty close in points even just a 1 Frame re-run would be interesting.

I would be more than willing to lead the AXIS Side - as long as I get Flossy to fly a bomber  !
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 05:08:20 PM »
Originally posted by Shane

it would also be highly amusing to see all these spit and hurri weenies flopping around helpless in the uberexperten untermodeled peashooting 109's - the leather undies would chafe and make their heads explode! :rofl

you gotta be kiddin! i was wishing for a plane with some speed and climb the whole frame avoiding the 35k axis hordes!

i think the majority of allied kills were on buffs and less experienced axis pilot, from what i saw the good majority of you guys were playing it very smooth and smart.  

i would love the chance to be the high 109 cap not the low spit n hurricane self service buffet.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 07:41:29 PM »
I dunno about that..

hurri - 144 kills 129 deaths
spit - 79 kills  58 deaths
f4f - 31 kills  17 deaths

of the above allied kills,  88 could be attributed to buffs (unknown if fleet guns or base acks got any)...

allied totals: 254 kills, adjusted to 166 ftr kills (88 buffs)  204 deaths

109e -  8 kills 55 deaths
109f - 57 kills 60 deaths
202 - 56 kills 87 deaths

axis totals: 121 kills 202 deaths.

allied fighters had a 45 kill plus count over axis fighters. seems you guys did alright.  saw and had to run from plenty of higher allied fighters.

the thing about 109f's after they took away the gondies it was impossible to get a quick kill and spits and hurris are manueverable as hell, so while we're trying to pick away at them, flying smart, plenty of higher allied fighters keep arriving.  i'll take 2 or 4 hispanos vs 1 20mm anyday.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 02:02:50 AM »
I've sent e-mail to Naso asking if he'd like to give it a go as allied.  I'll let folks know what I find out.  Jordi is up for it -- I think a lot of the allies would be up for it.

Offline Heater

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 02:51:29 AM »
If this happens, how about a cap on the alt, say max of 20K?
HiTech is a DWEEB-PUTZ!
I have multiple personalities and none of them like you !!!

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 03:09:11 AM »
I think we should have no changes in rules, or there will be much complaining if the results are different from the first time it was run.  Also, ROC said it'd get run only if everything (other than a switch of sides) is the same.  I'm all for that.