Author Topic: Which BRITISH tank should we ask for?  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Which BRITISH tank should we ask for?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2005, 10:28:10 PM »
Originally posted by Billy Joe Bob
ps i know there is a tank that the americans that could make the tiger outmatched made but  i dont remember its name. its name starts with "P" its right there on the tip of my tounge

Pershing M26

octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Billy Joe Bob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2005, 10:29:46 PM »
awww you beat me before i could edit

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2005, 12:41:02 AM »
now where is a pic of that US tank with 4 tracks and could only go 3mph it was so heavy?
but to stay on topic I would nominate Cromwell & Firefly for brits
M18 Hellcat & "Easy 8" Sherman for US

Offline Billy Joe Bob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2005, 11:24:02 AM »
Originally posted by Raptor01
now where is a pic of that US tank with 4 tracks and could only go 3mph it was so heavy?
but to stay on topic I would nominate Cromwell & Firefly for brits
M18 Hellcat & "Easy 8" Sherman for US

i know that too it was like the tortiose. the tank was built to crush the  seigfred line and had a 157mm high velocity gun

it was in the command and conquer generals: zero hour mod, Blitzkrieg 2.
behold, the t28

[/IMG]

but yeah i would like the cruiser to be included
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 11:30:20 AM by Billy Joe Bob »

Offline KD303

• Copper Member
Joseph Stalin
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2005, 07:06:37 AM »
If we're going to have a new tank, then I'd like to see the Soviet JS1 or 2. The JS3 would be nice but it wasn't seen until the allied victory parade in Berlin in 1945, so it doesn't qualify.:(
The Joseph Stalin 1 (JS1) had the sloped back hull of the T34, a heavy cast turret and sported a 122mm gun. Problems with space and a slow firing rate were outweighed by sheer firepower. At the time of it's introduction, no other tank could outshoot it - the Jagdtiger with 128mm gun not arriving 'till later. The improved JS2 was slightly lighter and would be my choice for a new tank to take on the Tiger.
I'd also like to see the American M40 155mm gun carriage of which 311 were built during WWII. It was one of the most successful heavy self-propelled weapons ever to see service and was used in North West Europe in 1945 - it's first action was in the bombardment of Cologne. It would be a good 'un.

Offline buzkill

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2005, 08:04:43 PM »
the t28......thats not a tank as much as it is a self propelled armored artillery piece:aok  i like it....those heavy tanks are very usefull in call of duty UO
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 08:07:12 PM by buzkill »

Offline Billy Joe Bob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2005, 08:53:19 PM »
what was the specs on the gun for the churchill and the cruiser?

Offline Eden

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2005, 08:14:16 AM »
Here is a good link for information on WW2 vehicles

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/unitedkingdom/infantry/churchill.html

Here are some interesting Churchill variations

Crocodile...Hmmmm....fire good...yes  :)

Late war design (never into service) called the Black Prince.  17PDR on the churchill.  I believe that this tank was an infantry tank (designed to support and move with the infantry).  Not real usefull in AH.
 Something along the lines of a tank hunter/killer would be more usefull.  I've always admired the Hellcat (US...M-18) for firepower and speed.

76mm gun and around 45-55MPH top speed (80-90KMPH)

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/usa/tank_destroyers/m18_tankdestroyer.html

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2005, 11:28:49 AM »
And the Comet? Fast heavy and packs a punch I belive.
But then again, self propelled artillery would be nice ;)
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Eden

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2005, 02:18:37 PM »
Originally posted by Angus
And the Comet? Fast heavy and packs a punch I belive.
But then again, self propelled artillery would be nice ;)

The comet was all that.  I believe that there was some concern over the 77mm gun (as not as good as the 17pdr) but that is probably more of splitting hairs than relevant.

Offline BALSUR

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2005, 01:41:42 AM »
The Pershing hardly saw any action, very late war tank.  The British firefly would be the only allied tank that could stand up to the tiger. But it only stood up until that first 88mm round hit it. Its got a good gun but can't slug it out. None of the allied armor could. When it come to armor the germans had it all.

Best roadblock: Konigs Tiger
Best assault tank: Panther
Best Tank Destroyer; JadgTiger
Best AA Tank: Wirbelwind
Best armored artillery: Hummel, yes it out ranged the M7 priest There was also the SturmTiger, but what it lacked in range it made up with the 380mm shell it launched.

What I'd really like to see from the allies is a M151 mounted with some machine guns to do some recon jobs. How many times to you hear i wish i knew what was out there or where that tank/m3 is at. Be fun to run around out there with one.

Offline Sakai

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Re: Which BRITISH tank should we ask for?
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2005, 07:21:36 AM »
Originally posted by straffo
a can of beer (full) would be more usefull.

The Matilda was tossed out as a joke, obviously.

Utility aint the point, NO western allied armor that saw any action will be very useful outside of wanting to ride in one or shooting up aircraft on the runway unless it's the tracked artillery or something with greater standoff range then a Tiger.  [OK armor geeks, did the TDs have a greater standoff/increased accuracy over the Tiger?]

My opinion is use a few tanks that are more evenly matched and have those in Tank Town or VH setups with limited or no Tigers then you'd have a better setup.

The IVs are great tanks, the T-34s and Shermans and some English armor are fair matchups for those but the Tiger so outclasses the other armor it is silly.

In my opnion, we should have some early war armor for a very good reason:

It doesn't overpower the game and it's use on airfields and towns is not out of proportion to the game/compared to the actual war as is a Tiger standing on a hillside destroying flocks of B-17s.  

I also think obstacles and bridges to stop/slow armor would be nice.  A standard load out for an M3 might be an engineering squad?  Blow up bridges in your Jabo or DB to thwart the VH from raiding your field so often?  

Provide fields with some strategically placed gun emplacements that have MGs for air defense but have artillery for ground defense?

I'd like to see a Pzkpfw III with the long 50mm and a Grant/Lee variation, an Itai tank and the Jap tank that carried the 57mm (Chi-Ha?).  Maybe an M-5 Stuart.  These tanks reflect a more even keeled armor battle.  

I am all for heavier Russian and US tanks to battle the Tigers because Tiger on Tiger warfare gets old.  But Desert and Russian (first couple years) plains warfare requires light to medium tanks with roughly even capabilities, each with their strengths and weaknesses, to reflect the war as it was or as someone mentioned, have Tigers fighting only packs of allied armor.  But that one is a real problem:  do drone tank squads come out after Tigers but not Pzkpfw IVs?

Sakai
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 07:25:45 AM by Sakai »
"The P-40B does all the work for you . . ."

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2005, 11:45:40 PM »
Originally posted by BALSUR
The Pershing hardly saw any action, very late war tank.  The British firefly would be the only allied tank that could stand up to the tiger. But it only stood up until that first 88mm round hit it. Its got a good gun but can't slug it out. None of the allied armor could. When it come to armor the germans had it all.

Best roadblock: Konigs Tiger
Best assault tank: Panther
Best AA Tank: Wirbelwind
Best armored artillery: Hummel, yes it out ranged the M7 priest There was also the SturmTiger, but what it lacked in range it made up with the 380mm shell it launched.

I disagree with some of your picks. First, the M26 went into combat in February of 1945, but quickly proved itself and handled the Panther well enough. Tigers were remarkably powerful tanks. They were also slow, unreliable and easy to flank (especially the nearly immobile JagdTiger). My pick for the best TD (tank destroyer) is the M18 Hellcat. This little monster was greatly feared and respected. Its 76mm gun shooting HVAP ammo could kill a Panther from any angle. It was delivered with a governor that limited speed to 55 mph. However, these were quickly disconnected, which allowed for speeds up to 65 mph. Well armored for the type (sharply sloped armor), the M18 was the ultimate "shoot and scoot" vehicle. Their kill to loss ratio has been estimated at nearly 20/1. I talked to two members of an M18 crew several years ago. They raved about its speed and effectiveness. M18s were still in active service well into the 1970s in several countries, Yugoslavia being the last to operate them.

Among the deadliest of TDs was the M36, an upgunned M10 with a 90mm shooting HVAP.

Late models of the M4, such and the M4E8 were generally superior to the MkIVH and the equal of the T-34/85. The Soviets equipped whole tank armies with diesel powered M4s, which did not catch fire easily (unlike the gasoline burning models in US and UK service). They were very popular with their crews.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2005, 03:17:26 AM »
Originally posted by BALSUR

Have to disagree there.

The JAGDTIGER was quite a formidable vehicle but it's limitations negated many of it's strengths. It's 128mm ammunition was VERY HEAVY and of a 2-part variety like artillery ammunition so it it had a very slow rate of fire. Fine if you hit on the first round but if you miss the enemy knows where you are and can manuver and close the range and try to flank you before your next shot.  The Jagdtiger also had the limitations of the original Tiger's weak engine and transmission. With even more armor added over the original Tiger or King Tiger it made it just that much slower and prone to breakdown. It also had a high silhouette.

If I had to go to the field with a German Tank Destroyer I would much rather have the JAGDPANZER IV L/70 with the long 75mm gun of the Panther.

If I had to pick a US tank destroyer it would "definately" be the  M36B1 JACKSON.
The first model M-36 carried the 90mm gun in a new turret on the old M-10 Tank Destroyer hull. (M-10 left with 3"/76mm gun, M-36 with 90mm gun on the right)

The later M-36B1 version had the same turret placed on the standard M-4A3 SHERMAN tank hull. This increased armor protection over the old M-10 hull as well as provided a bow .30 cal machine gun position that was missing on the M-10 hull.

The later M-36B2 went back to the old M-10 type hull but incorporated a type of overhead armor that none of the previous tank destroyers had. (M-18 Hellcat Tank Destroyer in the background).

The 90mm main gun of the M-36 JACKSON could penetrate 6 inches of armor at 1000 yards, and with 2 rounds, penetrate 5 feet of concrete.

Production quanities are as follows:
M36 - 1413
M36B1 - 187
M36B2 - 724

If we ever do get the M-4 SHERMAN, it would be very easy to do the M-36B1 version with the 90mm gun. All that would have to be changed is the turret and the balistics for the gun, the hull is the same as the Sherman.

:aok
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 03:37:37 AM by Jester »
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline Eden

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2005, 07:23:09 AM »
Originally posted by Widewing
My pick for the best TD (tank destroyer) is the M18 Hellcat. This little monster was greatly feared and respected. Its 76mm gun shooting HVAP ammo could kill a Panther from any angle. It was delivered with a governor that limited speed to 55 mph. However, these were quickly disconnected, which allowed for speeds up to 65 mph. Well armored for the type (sharply sloped armor), the M18 was the ultimate "shoot and scoot" vehicle. Their kill to loss ratio has been estimated at nearly 20/1. I talked to two members of an M18 crew several years ago. They raved about its speed and effectiveness. M18s were still in active service well into the 1970s in several countries, Yugoslavia being the last to operate them.

Widewing

I concur and an M-18 could easily be the basis for an M-24 light tank model(chasis had similar design).  Two fairly effective vehicles (for their type) for the price of one...