Author Topic: Will the USA green up its act?  (Read 5660 times)

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Will the USA green up its act?
« Reply #210 on: December 16, 2005, 10:44:09 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
But I'm going to have to leave it there as I'm spending the weekend at a cute English town called Stow-on-the-Wold! I may be back later tomorrow, at which time I will once again be available for consultation. So till then... toodle-pip. ;)

How did you get there?    You didn't increase your carbon footprint by using petroleum did you?  Assuming you did, I am a better person than you are as I bicycled to work today.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Rotax447

• Copper Member
« Reply #211 on: December 16, 2005, 02:50:49 PM »
Originally posted by -dead-

Looking at the US import /export balance, the US imports almost twice what it exports. Which is odd: why would 5% of the world's population producing 30% of all the world's goods need to import almost twice as much, in cash terms as they exported? Why would China with a measly 3.7% of the world's GDP have just surpassed the US to become world leader in information and communications technology goods exports?

GDP is no measure the amount of goods produced at all, just the amount of money. Which may be why it always uses money as the unit.

Well, I am going to take a shot at this:-)  I suspect they would need to import those goods, if their economy was producing a lot of other goods, for internal use, that could not be exported.   What type of goods?  Homes, automobiles, aircraft, paved roads, bridges, communications infrastructure, airports, hospitals, schools, universities, waste treatment plants, water, natural gas, and electrical grids...

I see something very interesting in that list.  Little to none of those goods comes from China, yet they cost a fortune to build and maintain.  Why is our GDP and our energy consumption so high?  Simple really; we have more of those type of goods, per capita, than any other nation on earth.

ps
sorry about the microwave clock ... it sounds like a faulty j/k flip-flop, probably manufactured in Taiwan:-)

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #212 on: December 16, 2005, 04:08:14 PM »
Yes, we have thermostats. I dare say we didn't have them 200 years ago, which explains why you had to ask. :lol

Naw, it`s just that you are so far behind the U.S. in stuff like this I wasn`t for sure.

As for what I DO, I thought I told you. In addition to thermostats, we have timers. I have set mine to turn off the system between midnight and 6am.  I like the temperature during the night to sink below the normal daytime temperature. There are also "timerstats" in which a timer can vary the overall temperature at set times. I don't have one of those.

Well I just wanted to give you a chance to lay out the big picture for us on what you do in order to alleviate what you are portraying as a very important issue to you. In other words you do nothing other than what anyone else does and what you lay out as your efforts is what anyone wanting to save a buck or two would do. You actualy do nothing, huh? Just another "Evil U.S. empire" thread oportunity. On a U.S. owned and based board at that. You ever wonder why you get so frustated when you get nailed here. Here`s your sign. :)
Ya know I was talking to a neighbor of mine this morning an he was telling me he was packing to go to Mexico until sometime in February. He will spend his and his family`s Christmas holidays there.  The reason he is going is he wanted to contribute to something worthwhile to a cause he truly believed in and was concerned with. They have built an orphange there. They have family houses allready built with donations for materials. They are building 6 more this trip. What I am getting at here Beet is people who actualy are as concerned with something as you wish us to bite into believing you are on this subject matter, don`t sit back and blow smoke. They actualy do something. All you have done is taken another witless effort to down the U.S. The envy is killing you. Give it up.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 04:12:44 PM by Jackal1 »
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #213 on: December 17, 2005, 09:19:55 AM »
Hi Jack-all, I see you're still spouting claptrap. This time it's thermostats whose history you know nothing about...
Originally posted by Jackal1
Naw, it`s just that you are so far behind the U.S. in stuff like this I wasn`t for sure.
Not only were you unsure, you were completely wrong. The thermostat was invented by a Dutchman, Cornelis Jacobszoon Drebbel, who served King James the First of England as a court scientist from 1606 onwards. :p So as you can see, the only "far behind" is what you talk out of.

Hey that's a laudable cause that your friend is getting into... but how much greenhouse gas will it save? I ask because this is a thread about the greenhouse effect, not about orphanages.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #214 on: December 17, 2005, 12:46:01 PM »
Yes, we have thermostats. I dare say we didn't have them 200 years ago, which explains why you had to ask. :lol

Not only were you unsure, you were completely wrong. The thermostat was invented by a Dutchman, Cornelis Jacobszoon Drebbel, who served King James the First of England as a court scientist from 1606 onwards.  So as you can see, the only "far behind" is what you talk out of.

Apparently you were unsure as well Beetle.  Either you had thermostats since the court of King James I (appx 400 yrs ago) or 200 years ago you didn't.

As I am superior to you due to the fact that I bicycle to work and you get to work by contributing to the greenhouse heating and ultimate death of humanity, you can stop your superiorty dance on this issue and get back to dissing us on gun deaths.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 01:47:42 PM by Holden McGroin »
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Rotax447

• Copper Member
« Reply #215 on: December 17, 2005, 03:16:14 PM »
Death, death, come back death, I am just warming up...

ps
did that little tip clean, er, fix your clock :D

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #216 on: December 17, 2005, 03:48:43 PM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
As I am superior to you due to the fact that I bicycle to work and you get to work by contributing to the greenhouse heating and ultimate death of humanity
Wrong. Those tyres on your bicycle that wear out were probably contructed in a process which caused the emission of some greenhouse gas. On the other hand, I don't go to work at all, so I'm superior to you.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #217 on: December 17, 2005, 03:52:35 PM »
Wrong. Those tyres on your bicycle that wear out were probably contructed in a process which caused the emission of some greenhouse gas. On the other hand, I don't go to work at all, so I'm superior to you.

But you import from China, which has little care about the environment, so you are a worse person. :D

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #218 on: December 17, 2005, 05:34:34 PM »
Not only were you unsure, you were completely wrong. The thermostat was invented by a Dutchman, Cornelis Jacobszoon Drebbel, who served King James the First of England as a court scientist from 1606 onwards. :p So as you can see, the only "far behind" is what you talk out of.

Naw, I was just wondering if you had one because you are so far behind in such things.

Hey that's a laudable cause that your friend is getting into... but how much greenhouse gas will it save? I ask because this is a thread about the greenhouse effect, not about orphanages.

Naw, this thread was tryed to be thinly disguised by you as such, then work in the actual reason for the thread..."The Evil U.S. empire" factor. You are fooling noone, not even yourself it seems.
According to you, you are doing absolutely nothing any other person wanting to save a buck or two is doing. Only thing you are doing in this thread is providing more laughs as usual.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.

Offline weaselsan

• Silver Member
« Reply #219 on: December 17, 2005, 06:02:44 PM »

You on welfare?

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #220 on: December 17, 2005, 07:33:23 PM »

First of all I do not have tyres in my bicycle, I have tires.

That aside, I have never thought of the CO2 impact of my bikes tires and I see now how incredibly damaging their manufacture is to the environment and probably child labor in Malayasia.

No matter what I do I can't seem to change my carbon footprint.  Screw it,  I think I'll get a Hummer, maybe two, and let them idle constantly when I don't drive them, get a 1500m2 house and run the theromostat at 25C in the winter and 15C in the summer.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #221 on: December 18, 2005, 06:07:09 AM »
Jack-all,

No, I posted this thread in response to the closure and conclusions reached at the UN Summit on climate change in Montreal.

As for "what am I doing to help solve global warming"... well you're an idiot if you think that one person can solve it singlehandedly. That would be like me asking you "what are you doing about the insurgency/car bombings in Iraq"? The only thing an individual can do is to draw attention to the ecological disaster that awaits if nothing is done by government. It won't just sort itself out by market forces. And... despite the Montreal summit which was attended by delegates from 180 countries, the main problem with regard to greenhouse gas output is the USA - 25% of the world total. What this thread has done is to expose the "not our problem" attitude of so many who live there. There are so many miconceptions of the problem, and after Montreal I believe it was a good time to bring it up.

Here are some of the misconceptions....

We had one guy who said my list of CO2 emissions by country was BS. In fact he said it twice. And the basis of his rebuttal? He had walked down a Mexican street and had smelt sulphur in the air. Erm... hello? None of the three leading greenhouse gases contains sulphur.

We have people who "see no reason" not to go on burning fossil fuels at the same prodigious rate as before, and who even believe that the depletion of the world's oil reserves in the fastest possible time would be a good thing! They trust in some new alternative to arrive as if by magic.

We have a cheeky chappy from the other side of the world who said of my CO2 emissions data: "Given those figures are guesses by hippies based on energy use I think you're screwed in this thread." But then Nashwan came along and confirmed the figures using data provided by the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee. The same cheeky chappy added "You think wrong. Depending on the situation a larger engine may prove more effecient. Simply stating a smaller engine burns half as much fuel exposes a very limited understanding of energy in general." The discussion is about greenhouse gas emissions, and I was able to quote manufacturer's data as well as DVLA vehicle test data,  both of which supported my statement that CO2 emission is in direct proportion to engine size/quantity of fuel burnt.

The same data answers the "argument" put forward by the gentleman who suggested "More fuel efficient does not mean less green house gases, Beet. Try again." Both the DVLA data I supplied and the data provided by vehicle manufacturers show that CO2 emissions rise with engine size. I've just checked the BMW 5-series website and see that the emissions tax rises in line with engine size. The same gentleman quoted a source which he firmly believes to be true: "A 40 percent increase in fuel economy standards would reduce greenhouse emissions by only about 0.5 percent, even under the most optimistic assumptions.", but as I will show in a moment this is also false. So it's funny that the person who trusts such a flawed statement refuses to fly on an Airbus because he doesn't trust the technology.

I found the following CO2 emissions table on a pro 4x4 website.

As can be seen from the figures, the overall pattern is that the cars with the largest engines burn the most fuel and emit the most CO2, so where some people get the idea that "a 40 percent increase in fuel economy standards would reduce greenhouse emissions by only about 0.5 percent" is a mystery to me.

I had to smile when I found this table, and saw which car was top of the list! :aok

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
« Reply #222 on: December 18, 2005, 06:43:45 AM »
Where's the hybrids on that chart?  Those are common over here.  When are you guys going to get with the program?

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #223 on: December 18, 2005, 07:08:58 AM »
Jack-all,

No, I posted this thread in response to the closure and conclusions reached at the UN Summit on climate change in Montreal.

Well BeetOff, if you were going to do something such as this as a "response" to conclusions and closure of the summit, then you took a wrong turn at Tulsa slick.  I doubt many members that attended the summit is here on the AH BBS. :) We all know the reason for the thread hoss. Give it up. :rofl

As for "what am I doing to help solve global warming"... well you're an idiot if you think that one person can solve it singlehandedly

Exactly, as I explained it in the above post. If you were truly interested you would be out either joining a group or starting a new group to raise awareness, but you are not because in reality you could care less. You are doing nothing but shooting for another "Evil U.S. Empire" attempt. One of many. On a U.S. owned and based board. Not the crispess pickle in the barrel, huh? :)

And... despite the Montreal summit which was attended by delegates from 180 countries, the main problem with regard to greenhouse gas output is the USA - 25% of the world total

Yea, yea..................my youngest granddaughter could see through that. Like I said earlier, we have a pulse rate above 30 here.

What this thread has done is to expose the "not our problem" attitude of so many who live there.

ROFLMAO What this thread has done is show your devoted envy of the U.S............once again. I can`t honestly believe that you post this crap with a straight face and expect it to fly. Then again................maybe you do. :)

Get with the program and go buy yourself a baseball bat. Keep it handy for swatting away those pesky stray asteroids that might be headed to earth in the future. Just about as believable as what you are trying to slide by here. :rofl
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 07:11:44 AM by Jackal1 »

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #224 on: December 18, 2005, 08:27:44 AM »
Mash tried to say the list I provided was BS, and Nashwan has since provided further proof that it isn't. And, in case you hadn't noticed, the problem has been discussed at a conference in Montreal just last week, with delegates from a multitude of countries present, the Kyoto treaty having been signed by 157 different countries. If global warming was a cyclic thing, why didn't they also have conferences in 1950, 1900, 1850, 1800...?

It IS/WAS BS.  The ONLY thing you types want, is a closer "Per Capita".   You have posted nothing else of worth Beet.   I'm glad Bush didn't sign the toilet paper.  

To sit here and tell me Eastern Europe is cleaner than the US further realizes your "quest".  

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC