Author Topic: Iowa Class BB  (Read 4922 times)

Offline USHilDvl

• Copper Member
BB 62
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2006, 02:01:58 PM »
IF we get a real BB...and IF we get an American one..and IF it's an Iowa-class...

Then...I vote for the USS New Jersey, for two reasons;

1)  Most decorated warship in American history (16 battle stars, in 3 conflicts)

2)  See if you can guess...;)

PS...hint, hint...betcha' drediock and doobs get it!

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
Re: BB 62
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2006, 05:03:43 PM »
Originally posted by USHilDvl
Then...I vote for the USS New Jersey, for two reasons;

1)  Most decorated warship in American history (16 battle stars, in 3 conflicts)

That is incorrect.

The Carrier USS ENTERPRISE CV-6 is the most decorated ship of any Navy "EVER" with 20 Battlestars, Presidential Unit Citation (PUC) and Navy Unit Citation (NUC) just in WW2.

Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Iowa Class BB
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2006, 01:08:50 AM »
Bah.

I'm not sure of the Missouri's battle record, but I DO know she's by far the most famous of the Iowas. She's the Last of the Dreadnaughts. Japan's surrender was signed on her decks. She fought with distinction in WWII, Korea and Gulf War I (she also served in Vietnam, didn't she?) and was the first naval ship to have enemy combatants surrender to radio controlled drones (Gulf War I). Make the AH2 battleship the Mighty Mo!

(Do NOT get me started on that frelling Cher video. BLECH!)

Jester: That's one beautiful lady you got there. They shouldn't have scrapped her. She should be a museum. :mad:
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Iowa Class BB
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2006, 01:16:09 AM »
Originally posted by Saxman
Jester: That's one beautiful lady you got there. They shouldn't have scrapped her. She should be a museum. :mad:

Absolutely agree 1000%.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline toadkill

• Nickel Member
Iowa Class BB
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2006, 01:08:47 PM »
if you wish to see a WW2 BB try going to Mobile, AL the B.B. Alabama is there. you also can go in the Drum. heres the site.

USS Alabama
<S>
Toad

Offline USHilDvl

• Copper Member
Iowa Class BB
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2006, 01:50:43 PM »
:mad:  Dammit...I looked up that stat twice before posting...just to avoid being corrected.  Now I go look again, and I find even more legitimate references to her being the most decorated, yet the Enterprise does indeed also make the claim, at 20.

I'm willing to accept that, perhaps, we both are sure we have the right info, but one of us is getting bogus data.  I've no idea which one, though.  The Internet never fails...:furious

Reason number two still holds, tho!

Big Mo was a great ship, but a lot of her fame was tied to the Japanese surrender (no slight to her outstanding combat record).  As I understand the story, tradition would have had the New Jersey given the honor, as she was (as best I know) the most decorated at the time, but President Truman was from Missouri and insisted on his home state namesake.

Anyone traveling through the NYC area should try and get a look-see at her.  She's now a museum at the Philadelphia Shipyards on the Delaware River in Camden.

Anyway..I love the Iowa class BB.  Gimme that, better muzzle and hit flashes, and a properly rendered sounset for her.  And more good targets!

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
Iowa Class BB
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2006, 06:06:41 PM »
No doubt, the "BIG E" is the Queen of the Hill with 20 Battlestars. She was seeing action while the Jersey was still on paper!

Yea damn shame they didn't save her and the Saratoga. Real loss.

Try HAZEGREY.ORG you can read the "OFFICIAL" histories of every USN ship there and most have their awards listed.

:aok
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
Iowa Class BB
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2006, 06:22:59 PM »
There was an idea that came up before of spending perks on your own DD or cruiser. None of this is going to happen for a year or so if ever but most of them would make the MA far less stagnant than it is now.

Offline RAPIER

• Copper Member
Iowa class BB
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2006, 10:13:12 PM »
I agree that it would be much better to have BBs in the game.  The CLs are too easy to sink, and they do not have enough AA to really help the CV.  It is also a good idea to be able to man all the 5" guns, on the CL, and on the DDs.
Often, there are no slots left to help defend a task group, and that makes killing the CV mush to easy, especially if the CL has been sunk.

Offline WindX

• Copper Member
Iowa Class BB
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2006, 03:39:04 AM »
Originally posted by KTM520guy
+1 for battleships.

We need The Big MO

agreed!!!!! Mo was my fav BB.

Offline moneyguy

• Silver Member
Iowa Class BB
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2006, 12:34:53 PM »
how about USS Massachussetts?   http://www.battleshipcove.org/

Offline USHilDvl

• Copper Member
Iowa Class BB
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2006, 01:39:44 PM »
Isn't the Massachussetts a pocket battleship?  Not a full size Iowa class, I'm pretty sure.

Took my son to stay overnight on the USS Mass. some years ago, as a Cub Scout.  Battleship cove is a good exhibit, and worth a look.  

Trying to keep an eye on a pack of Cub Scouts...on a battleship...all night long...not gonna do that again  :rolleyes:

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Iowa Class BB
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2006, 03:33:10 PM »
Originally posted by USHilDvl
Isn't the Massachussetts a pocket battleship?  Not a full size Iowa class, I'm pretty sure.

Gods no.  The "Pocket Battleship" was a British term for something Germany did to try to get around their WWI agreements.  It was a glorified heavy cruiser.  The German "Pocket Battleships" weighed 12,100 tons, less than some Japanese heavy cruisers.

Just because the Massachusetts isn't a 50,000 ton monster doesn't mean it isn't a full battleship.

The Massachusetts weighs about 35,000 tons, more than any WWI Dreadnought I can think of and almost as much as Britain's biggest WWII battleships, the King George Vs.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Billy Joe Bob

• Nickel Member
Iowa Class BB
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2006, 10:50:13 PM »
off topic-ish.... what ships are still in pearl harbor? I am going to Hawaii in April and i kinda want to see a real BB.

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
Iowa Class BB
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2006, 12:21:22 AM »
USS Missouri is there.

You can also see the USS Arizona & USS Utah still there from Dec. 7, 1941.

Plus, surely some of the Pacific Fleet will be in so there will be lots to see.

Take lots of pictures!  :aok
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"