Author Topic: PC on earth, goodwill towards (all humans regardless of gender)  (Read 2306 times)

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
PC on earth, goodwill towards (all humans regardless of gender)
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2001, 12:24:00 PM »
Tah Gut, I agree with a lot of what you say.  I think racism, sexism, etc... is still around -- it is just less overt than it was in the past.  I think we still have to worry about bigotry in this country.

But does making a remark about someone's gender, race, ethnicity necessarily make you a bigot?  In my dictionary, a bigot is defined as "One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ."  I'd say no it doesn't, it could just make you guilty of making an insensitive comment.  There is a big difference between the two, but you could never tell that by the reactions you see by the political leadership of the offended group and by the media.

When someone makes such a remark, no effort is made to determine whether that person is truly a bigot.  No one asks or tries to find out how that person treats people of whatever group they offended on a daily basis.  No one looks at extenuating circumstances that might have led to the words being said.  Instead, that person is instantly viewed and portrayed as if they hated and despised every member of that group.  They are stigmatized and most likely fired if their actions become public.  How is that fair or right?

As it is, there is no sense of proportion in the reactions to a simple mistake as opposed to deep hatred.  There needs to be.  That great misdeeds were done to these people in the past does not absolve them of the responsibility to wield their political and economic power in this day and time with the same restraint, fairness and tolerance that they rightfully demand of others.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2001, 07:53:00 PM »
TahGut is awesome!  :)

He just doesnt get it how fun he is.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2001, 09:13:00 PM »
It is the self-righteous hypocrisy of the PC that makes then appear to be such total, morons.

The old lady mentioned above left the restaurant.  Got into a huge SUV, and drove off.  That thing will pump more toxins into the air in one day, then my smoking will do in 10 life times.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2001, 09:39:00 PM »
TahGut is awesome!
He just doesnt get it how fun he is.  

Picking at scabs creates scars.

;)

as for PC... I ain't buying it. I will go to the grave kicking and squeaking about the toejamheads in this world that just HAVE to stick their obnoxious noses into the private parts of their neighbors for their own gleeful entertainment.

Every year that goes by hearalds yet another batch of folks that feel it's their RIGHT to pronounce judgement on each other based on nothing more or less significant than what they eat for breakfast... or if they even EAT breakfast.  "fediddleers a gawdamned heratic.. he eats wheaties and LIKES it!"

Anybody that wants to sniff my shorts had better be willing to wear em.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2001, 09:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by SWulfe:
I get told things everyday of my life that offend me, but I don't get my panties in a bunch and whimper about it or call up Jesse Jackson to defend my honor.
-SW

So, you let people insult you with impunity?  That's fannnntastic!  How come, I picture you looking down at your feet (with one big wet tear in your eye) and shuffling away, when they do?  Then I guess you go and tell yourself what a huge pair you had for walking(running) away  :confused:  ;)

Another thing.  You make a huge mistake SWulfe, when you ASSume that you are the only person here with any experience with being a minority.  

We can make assumptions about other people all day people, and be insulting about it, but...it won't get us anywhere.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2001, 10:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by easymo:
The old lady mentioned above left the restaurant.  Got into a huge SUV, and drove off.  That thing will pump more toxins into the air in one day, then my smoking will do in 10 life times.

So everyone that uses PC terms are hypocrits?  Kind of a sweeping generalisation isn't it?

Hang, for the record, I believe that using or not using PC terms is a personal choice.  I do advocate it and if I'm asked why I do I will explain.  But, I'm not going to badger some else about it.  

I think alot people here are against people telling them to be politcally correct, then political correctness in and of itself.  I mean trying to tell me how to act, ie. Don't be PC., WOULD be hypocracy.

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: Thrawn ]

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2001, 10:14:00 PM »
LOL! Call me anything you like. I reserve the right to react; up and including stuffing your head into a cammode and flushing yer toejam soaked brain to a more enlightened place.

You wanna embrace PC? Kewl. Beware of those that don't.

:D
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2001, 10:34:00 PM »
Yeah, hey, thanks for completely missing the point of my post.    :rolleyes:

I was basically saying the same thing you just did.

:p

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: Thrawn ]

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2001, 10:47:00 PM »
Still missed it.

I'll squint and read it again... maybe your reply was lost in PC double-speak.

Hang, for the record, I believe that using or not using PC terms is a personal choice. I do advocate it and if I'm asked why I do I will explain. But, I'm not going to badger some else about it.  

Hmmm... that; immedately before this...

I think alot people here are against people telling them to be politcally correct, then political correctness in and of itself. I mean trying to tell me how to act, ie. Don't be PC., WOULD be hypocracy.

What?? LOL! Yer PC keyboard stuck again? Thrawn, my friend; I apologise if I mistook your PC response as a PC dodge.

;)

...at home, or abroad.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2001, 10:57:00 PM »
I think alot people here are against people telling them to be politcally correct, then political correctness in and of itself. I mean trying to tell me how to act, ie. Don't be PC., WOULD be hypocracy."

So if someone just wants to be left alone.  And you insist on harassing them over some imagined slight.  If they tell you to piss off, they are being hypocrites?

You are like a poster boy for the PC mutants.

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: easymo ]

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2001, 07:23:00 AM »
PC is the brainchild of college professors who believe in Utopia.  There's nothing wrong with that, per say, however many young impressionable adults end up being cheated intellectually after going through a PC oriented "formal" education.

I believe we started on our downward spiral when Greeks and Romans were no longer given credit as builders of Western Civilization.  The PC trend has been to validate all civilizations as major contributing factors in our modern world.  I, for one, believe the Mayan and Egyptian civilizations were instrumental in our political and cultural evolution, and they were most certainly equal in technology.  Is that being PC?  I don't know..lol.

These cultures are shunned by the politically correct, because they demonstrate focus and purpose.  In my opinion, PC is pie in the sky thinking...or wishful thinking.  It is an educational disaster, where some ivy league universities are concerned.  So choose your college well.  Your education depends on it.  Think for yourself and take what the professors say with a grain of salt.  LOL    :cool:

Les
SCLeslie

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2001, 10:13:00 AM »
Grun, You crack me up! Did it cross your young mind that maybe I know exactly what I'm doing? I guess not. But I will continue my attempts to break you out of your shell.

I see a lot of anti "PC" posts here, but few have really addressed the opener. I guess the real problem is the definition.

What the heck is PC?

If you ask a conservative it is the great ANTICHRIST perpetrated on the masses by those brainless liberals.

If you ask a liberal he may even say PC doesn't exist at all. That it is all just a call for common courtesy.

IMHO it is obvious that our increased awareness of how groups of people are or have been addressed has been beneficial to all. How could it not be? Anecdotal evidence is irrelevent. What you may have been called in the past or present is irrelevent. Is it right or wrong to be aware of the affect these names have on people? How can you possibly say no?

And if you really want to think....ask yourself why those two letters create such a reaction. Could it be that propaganda is not just the tool of the left?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2001, 10:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tah Gut:

What the heck is PC?

Personal Computer   :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2001, 10:31:00 AM »
Are you still looking to restructure the english language into some neutered version of itself as well?

The danger with PC, and I still refer to the use of the word 'boy' in your first post, is that in the interests of avoiding confrontation, you've begun to exponentially add words to the offensive list.

Merely because a racist thinks and calls afro-eurasians idiots does not make idiot a racist word, nor will making the word itself taboo do a single thing about the original racist.  Yet one can still argue for the tolerence of PC, and go home at night kidding themselves that they've somehow made the world a better place (as opposed to reduced the words and verbal flexibility within their native language).

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2001, 11:41:00 AM »
OK Fatty, Lets say the word "boy" should not be on the list. (I disagree but lets just say)

So now the real problem with "PC" is how it neuters the language.  

Merely because a racist thinks and calls afro-eurasians idiots does not make idiot a racist word, nor will making the word itself taboo do a single thing about the original racist. Yet one can still argue for the tolerence of PC, and go home at night kidding themselves that they've somehow made the world a better place (as opposed to reduced the words and verbal flexibility within their native language).

Did Fatty make a point there? Lets break it down:
He proved through example that the word "idiot" cannot be placed in the racist category simply because a racist said it. I agree. And he also said that making the word taboo will not change the racist. Also very true.

Now do those 2 truths prove that PC is "reducing the verbal flexibility of our language"? Hardly.

If someone is retarded, do you call them an idiot? Of course you don't, because you now know it is wrong and hurtful to them. The word idiot is still available in the language if you want to use it. (If that isn't a straight line I don't know what is) Before the PC movement, which actually grew out of the womens movement of the late 60's, "idiot" was a commonly used term in mental hospitals.
The idea is not to change the racist, it is to change the general perception of the public.

Fireman - Firefighter

How many women firefighters are there in the country? Way more then 20 years ago. Did changing the name have any affect on this? Possibly, and here is how.

A young girl no longer is discouraged in her dreams of becoming a firefighter because the word is no longer gender based. The change in name had no affect on any sexist, or on most people who were used to the word, fireman. The changes are much more long term, and highly beneficial.

Is our language neutered? Hell no! I also think many people have gone too far with the PC thing. But even this has helped us to add many descriptive phrases to our language.

Vertically challenged - (not enough alt)
Spacially disabled - (not enough E)
Overly terrestrial - (GV syndrome)
    ;)