Author Topic: Humorous LOTR review (it isn't intended to be humorous)  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Humorous LOTR review (it isn't intended to be humorous)
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2001, 01:52:00 PM »
guess they'd condem "Bewitch" and "I Dream of Jeannie" if it were a different time..

ppl of that sort give all of religious convict a bad name .. looney extremists.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2001, 02:01:00 PM »
LOL, "Light by Sorcery"......Now THAT is really dangerous!
  :rolleyes:

Offline Merro

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2001, 03:29:00 PM »
"Crumbling Cavern Perils" Oh My!

:eek:

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2001, 03:42:00 PM »
Its kinda funny. I'd like to know what their "view" is on these so called "Children Bible Songs" they are selling on the TV with such passion.

For those of you with Kazaa, do a search keywords: Bible Songs, Children.

Write down how many of those songs has KIDS singing about being soldiers of this and that and fighting the enemy, etc, etc. Its very disturbing. It reminds me of those Hitler Youth documentaries I see in the History Channel. Brrrr!

Here's a few lyrics that I got from them:

"I may never march with the infantry, ride in the cavalry, shoot the artillery, zoom at the enemy (?hard to hear)... but im in the lord's army.." (at the beat of military drums).

and another song..

"onward christian soldiers, cut down our enemies.. for the lord.."

:rolleyes:

Have them review THAT.

Oh wait.. no, its acceptable because its "their" stuff. Bunch of pigheaded religious morons.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2001, 03:58:00 PM »
Daff: Lemme get this straight; It's ok for a film to contain gun violence, but not swords?.

No, they would list gun violence as well and count it towards the total.

Eagler: guess they'd condem "Bewitch" and "I Dream of Jeannie" if it were a different time..
 They mention just those shows along with "Sabrina the teenage witch" as the examples of embracing evil in their review of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" movie.
 It fails on the same points as LOTR - Wanton Violence/Crime, Impudence/Hate, Offense to God.
  http://www.capalert.com/capreports/harrypottersorc.htm

miko

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: miko2d ]

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2001, 04:15:00 PM »
Hehe, we should all just watch reruns of Charlie Brown and Bambi.

Unless of course they think talking raindeer is an invocation of the devil or labeling Lucy as the personification of evil.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2001, 04:36:00 PM »
Hmmm... A review of a movie through the the haze of christian fanaticism...

What a joke.
sand

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2001, 08:33:00 PM »
I'm sorry, but humanizing a dog (snoopy) is an affront to God and the Creation. Peanuts is right out!

And don't even get me started on Bambi....obviously a Gay name for the title character and Thumper - violent name if I ever heard one!

Disney is most likely rotting in Hell!
  :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2001, 09:03:00 PM »
I agree about Disney   :D

I actually had this conversation at church with a mother who owns every Disney tape but was going on about the witchcraft/harry potter thing.

Cinderella- this little tramp disobeyed her legal guardian, and sneaks out to a party.

Snow white- what a potato, lived with 7 bachelors who where not related to her, plus you have the witchcraft, oh ya and the ‘hero’ molests her while she sleeps.

Aladdin- she sneaks out to go slumming, and hooks up with a common thief.

Little mermaid- disobeys her father, makes a deal with a witch so she can have inter-species sex

Fantasia- witchcraft, plain and simple

And the list goes on and on.
She had no argument as to why these things where eceptable in movies that she grew up with as 'ok'.  But it was 'just different' with harry potter.  And I was 'just being difficult' for not seeing it her way

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: capt. apathy ]

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2001, 04:47:00 AM »
Hahahahahahahahahahah!

Hohohohohohohohohohoho

I rest my case.

These guys are nutters   :D.

They could have bothered to examine the faith of the author himself. Then they'd see the analogy this entire film is. Oh well.

[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: StSanta ]

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2001, 05:16:00 PM »
Ummm... does this guy sound a little paranoid:

"Maybe the Christian faith is under more attack [by the adversary through the unbelievers] than any other faith because it is the "right one": the one faith that poses the greatest and maybe the only real threat to the adversary."

Offline Durr

• Copper Member
      • http://us.geocities.com/ghostrider305
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2001, 02:33:00 AM »
I think that basically what we have here is somebody taking something too seriously.  Its just a movie of an adult fairy tale.  Its not meant to represent reality in any way.  Tolkien didnt mean for anybody take his works as some kind of truth or anything of the sort.  It just a story of a world he made up.  Anybody that tries to see some kind of evil conspiracy there is just wasting their time.  Reminds me of those people that thought they heard satanic messages in some records that were played backwards.  One of the biggest things that I think is funny about the review is the fact that the author seems to think that nobody should go watch the movie because it is evil and violent or whatever. However, he obviously watched it and it doesnt seem to have affected his beliefs at all.  If his faith can withstand a fairy tale movie than why does he think that nobody elses can?  The people that engage in these sort of diatribes do a disservice to Christianity, since they cause people to think that Christians are all paranoid and silly, and also because they focus all this effort on fighting a movie and fail to recognize the very real dangers to our their faith that do exist.  Christians in China face a real threat to their faith in a government that seeks to limit their freedom to worship and assemble themselves as they choose. Some Christians in America, it seems, with very little in the way of real threats facing them in a country that guarantees the right to worship as they please, see threats in every shadow.  I do think that Hollywood in general is somewhat prejudiced against Christians, but this movie isnt an attack on Christianity.  The person that wrote that article needs to get a better grip on reality.

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2001, 04:17:00 AM »
Karnak personally i am more concerned that you actually found that review in the first place !!  :)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2001, 12:12:00 PM »
Didn't know so many here were that prejudiced.  Enlightening thread.

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: funkedup ]

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2001, 01:40:00 PM »
My cousin and his wife are very religous (she is the daughter of a pastor).  They've brought their children up in Christian schools and adhered to strict religious doctrine.

His son has read "The Hobbit" and wanted to go see LOTR.  He asked me about it.. and if I think it would be OK for him to take his kids to see it.

I told him it was an excellent movie that depicted the book very well.  It is perhaps the best epic I've ever seen... but...

Its very important for people (insert Christians) to understand that a movie depicting good and evil is not the same as God and Satan.  It is possible to create a story void of the religious overtones (though people always find/create the undertones).  In these movies, magic is a force and is usually devided into good and evil.  The good magic helps/protects the world, the bad magic is usually based on destruction.

If anyone tries to tell me that any wizardry or magic is evil... I just remind them that most of the things they refer to as "Miracles" could be classified as magic and Moses was as much of a wizard as Gandalf.  Of course, I'm a blasphemer for such ideas... but 8 years of Christian school has taught me to know better when someone goes zeolot on me.

AKDejaVu