Author Topic: Congress did not see same Intel  (Read 692 times)

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
Congress did not see same Intel
« on: December 16, 2005, 04:02:04 PM »
For those that have been asserting that the dems saw the same intel when voting to support Bush.
You didnt want to believe or admit that it wasnt so............

Congress doesn't see same intelligence as president, report finds

By Jonathan S. Landay
Knight Ridder Newspapers

WASHINGTON - President Bush and top administration officials have access to a much broader ranger of intelligence reports than members of Congress do, a nonpartisan congressional research agency said in a report Thursday, raising questions about recent assertions by the president.

Bush has said that Democratic lawmakers who authorized the use of force against Iraq and now criticize the war saw the same pre-invasion intelligence on Iraq's weapons of mass destruction that he did.

The president made that claim in recent speeches about Iraq. Support for the war has decreased, and critics have said that the administration misled the country when it relied on erroneous intelligence about Iraqi weapons programs that supported its case for war and discarded information that undermined it.

"Some of the most irresponsible comments - about manipulating intelligence - have come from politicians who saw the same intelligence I saw and then voted to authorize the use of force against Saddam Hussein," Bush said on Wednesday in his most recent speech. "These charges are pure politics."

The Congressional Research Service, by contrast, said: "The president, and a small number of presidentially designated Cabinet-level officials, including the vice president ... have access to a far greater overall volume of intelligence and to more sensitive intelligence information, including information regarding intelligence sources and methods."

Unlike members of Congress, the president and his top officials also have the authority to ask U.S. intelligence agencies more extensively for follow-up information, the report said. "As a result, the president and his most senior advisers arguably are better positioned to assess the quality of the ... intelligence more accurately than is Congress."

The CRS report identified nine key U.S. intelligence "products" that aren't generally shared with Congress. These include the President's Daily Brief, a compilation of analyses that's given only to the president and a handful of top aides, and a daily digest on terrorism-related matters.

The White House didn't respond to a request for comment.

The CRS produced the report in response to a query by Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee and a critic of Bush's policy on Iraq. Feinstein asked about the kinds of intelligence information that are available to Congress and the White House.

Feinstein asserted that the report's findings underscored how critical it is for the Republican-controlled intelligence committee to complete a long-delayed inquiry into the intelligence used by the White House to make its case for the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

"This report goes to show that members of Congress were not seeing the same picture as the administration," she said. "When the Senate voted to authorize the use of force in Iraq in 2002, it was based on a more limited scope of prewar intelligence than was available to the administration."

Several post-invasion inquiries have found that U.S. intelligence agencies produced for the White House and Congress seriously flawed assessments on Iraq. The assessments erroneously concluded that Saddam was trying to revive a nuclear weapons programs and was hiding chemical and biological warfare stockpiles in violation of a U.N. ban.

Knight Ridder also has reported that the Bush administration relied on information that wasn't shared with Congress, including bogus claims by Iraqi defectors supplied by a former Iraqi exile group.

Also withheld from Congress was a discredited report by a now-defunct Pentagon unit that alleged that Saddam was cooperating with the al-Qaida terrorist network. No evidence of such a link has been found.
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 04:03:55 PM »
OMG!  A politician might have lied!!!!  RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!  ROFL!
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 04:09:06 PM »
time to move on

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 04:32:01 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
OMG!  A politician might have lied!!!!  RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!  ROFL!

Funny :)
But this is in response to the Boosh supporters who have wailed and wailed that Congress saw the same intel as Boosh.
But as usual FACTS dont matter.
Unless of course its a Dem :)
+Silat
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 04:32:58 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
time to move on

No its never time to move on when politicians lie us into war.......
+Silat

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 04:35:05 PM »
Originally posted by Silat
Funny :)
But this is in response to the Boosh supporters who have wailed and wailed that Congress saw the same intel as Boosh.
But as usual FACTS dont matter.
Unless of course its a Dem :)
Just for clarification.  I have not yelled about anything,  I just thought this was funny.  I mean,..who would have thunk it.  A politician lieing.  ROFL!

I dunt play that 'blame game'.  It dunt solve anything.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 04:47:44 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Just for clarification.  I have not yelled about anything,  I just thought this was funny.  I mean,..who would have thunk it.  A politician lieing.  ROFL!

I dunt play that 'blame game'.  It dunt solve anything.

I didnt mean that YOU yelled... I meant the Boosh supporters on this board...
And I get the joke:)
+Silat

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 04:51:52 PM »
From the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence website:
JURISDICTION
Created pursuant to S.Res. 400, 94th Congress: to oversee and make continuing studies of the intelligence activities and programs of the United States Government, and to submit to the Senate appropriate proposals for legislation and report to the Senate concerning such intelligence activities and programs. In carrying out this purpose, the Select Committee on Intelligence shall make every effort to assure that the appropriate departments and agencies of the United States provide informed and timely intelligence necessary for the executive and legislative branches to make sound decisions affecting the security and vital interests of the Nation. It is further the purpose of this resolution to provide vigilant legislative oversight over the intelligence activities of the United States to assure that such activities are in conformity with the Constitution and laws of the United States.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 05:46:06 PM »
The CRS report identified nine key U.S. intelligence "products" that aren't generally shared with Congress. These include the President's Daily Brief, a compilation of analyses that's given only to the president and a handful of top aides, and a daily digest on terrorism-related matters.

who would have thought that congress doesnt get the presidential daily breif......shocking.

what's worse is if they did get it it'd be "leaked" to the press in no time.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 07:48:12 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
who would have thought that congress doesnt get the presidential daily breif......shocking.

what's worse is if they did get it it'd be "leaked" to the press in no time.

LMAO they act like this is somehow new news.

I cant even count the amount of times I've heard that congress doesnt get the same intel  the president does its been said so many times already.

And they shouldnt.

the more people that know all the intel the higher the probability is that somen is going ot run their mouth and reveal classified information.

If your going to give congress the exact same intel the Pres gets you might as well publish it in the NY Times
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 07:53:57 PM »
Several post-invasion inquiries have found that U.S. intelligence agencies produced for the White House and Congress seriously flawed assessments on Iraq.

Hmmm White House, AND Congress.

So. they both got flawed intel.

How does that equate into Bush Lieing?

bush got flawed intel and Congress got a smaller version of the flawed intel.

I still dont see a single thing that would indicate the congress would have acted differently then they did in giving authorization as none of this has been shown to be flawed untill after the invasion took place.

Sounds like a typical hindsight being 20/20 to me

Hell if I knew my shoes werent in the bedroom closet before I looked ther I wouldnt have looked there before I found them in my sons room
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 07:58:03 PM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 07:58:47 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
LMAO they act like this is somehow new news.

I cant even count the amount of times I've heard that congress doesnt get the same intel  the president does its been said so many times already.

And they shouldnt.

the more people that know all the intel the higher the probability is that somen is going ot run their mouth and reveal classified information.

If your going to give congress the exact same intel the Pres gets you might as well publish it in the NY Times

What's even funnier is they quote Dianne Feinstein......Yea why don't they just get their quotes from KOS or Newsmax while they're at it.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2005, 08:15:13 PM »
You know how to tell when Bush is lying? When Cheney's lips are moving.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2005, 08:16:35 PM »
I was watching the White House news briefing today and McClellan was still saying that congress was getting the same intel as the White House.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2005, 08:51:39 PM »
Originally posted by Shamus
I was watching the White House news briefing today and McClellan was still saying that congress was getting the same intel as the White House.

shamus

in essence they were. What they werent getting was every single scrap of information
Just a smaller and more condenced version of it The overall intel albeit faulty was the same

Pres got intel that was faulty.
congress got a smaller version of the same faulty intel.

Again. I havent seen anything tht would indicate that congress would have acted any differently even if they had the same exact intel.

In hindsight the intel at the time was faulty at all levels Both the intel that the white house was given and the intel congress was given.
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty