Author Topic: F16 Crashed Today  (Read 451 times)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
sand

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
F16 Crashed Today
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2001, 07:32:00 AM »
....and another one today.  30 Million down the drain.  At least the pilot survived.
 http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010718/ts/crash_turkey_dc.html

Offline pugg666

• Silver Member
F16 Crashed Today
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2001, 09:09:00 AM »
The pilot had ejected before the crash, near the city of Batman

a city named batman??

thank cod the pilot is alright though

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
F16 Crashed Today
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2001, 09:22:00 AM »
10 years enforcing the "no-fly zone" in Iraq and covering the Yugoslavian "peace-keeping" forces has put a lot of time on the fighter force airframes and engines. Far more than routine training would during the same decade.

I think we've been lucky so far that we haven't had more engine failures. I also thought that the decision for single engine over multi engine was a mistake back when it was made. That was the old F-100 fighter guys as generals.

An F-18 would have made it back, most likely, after suffering a single engine failure. End cost on an -16 vs -18 isn't all that great. Cost difference gets huge when you lose one due to single engine failure though.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
F16 Crashed Today
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2001, 01:40:00 AM »
Believe me, there is nothing worse inflight to hear nothing but silence. It has happend to a friend of mine once. He was able to set it down at a private airfield (Cessna 140) but the gear collapsed and he ended up breaking the left wing spar.

Engine failure usually doesn't cause a crash if the pilot is able to glide to a base. But in the mountians he couldn't have gone anywhere...