Author Topic: Intelligent Design out of Pub Schools in PA  (Read 2450 times)

Offline ChickenHawk

• Silver Member
Intelligent Design out of Pub Schools in PA
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2005, 07:41:52 PM »
It was not my intention to argue the finer points of creation verses evolution because it's already been done to death on this board over the years.

I simply wished to point out that the Doonesbury comic you posted portrays creationists in an inaccurate way.  Whether it was done in ignorance or malice by the author is really beside the point now because it's already 'out there.'  It just goes to show that there are some people who are ignorant of the position of the opposition.  And I'm sure this goes for both sides.

Anyway, I think we can agree to disagree on this topic.  You have a strong opinion on your position and I respect that.  I don't believe in forcing my opinion down someone else's throat and if I came across like it, let me apologize.  It just so happens that I agree with a good many of your political opinions :)
Do not attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, fear, ignorance or stupidity, because there are millions more garden variety idiots walking around in the world than there are blackhearted Machiavellis.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2005, 08:16:22 PM »
Originally posted by ChickenHawk
Anyway, I think we can agree to disagree on this topic.  

I could not disagree more fervently with that statement.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2005, 08:22:02 PM »
Originally posted by Leslie

What I guess I'm trying to say is, science should be open minded to new ideas.  It just doesn't seem scientific to outright dismiss something unless there is absolute proof it is not so.  The case of darwinian evolution has yet to provide absolute proof, so to refuse to listen to another point of view....is just not scientific.

Les

Despite what Seagoon and the rest of the bible thumpers claim, there is no scientific evidence that supports ID.  There is however ample scientific evidence to support Evolution.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2005, 08:36:21 PM »
Originally posted by Seagoon

Just going to mall and seeing the general decline in civility and behavior since I was a young pagan thug in High School 20 years ago is depressing. Walking in the other day with my kids, we had the fun of witnessing a catfight at the entrance between two teenaged girls after one screeched a warning to the other about the dangers of trying to "xxxx my boyfriend". I'm guessing they were 15 or 16. Behavior like that used to be reserved for the worst sections of the dockyards 100 years ago, but now its becoming all-pervasive.

This past weekend we went to Chuckie Cheese (man I hate that place) and my daughter got "farmed" of her tokens by some older boys while I was taking my son to the bathroom. They discovered that since we have taught her to share, if they asked for some tokens she would give them. By the time I got there they were taking handfuls out of her cup. The mothers of these boys were actually sitting at a table not too far away as their boys stole tokens from a 5 year old. My three year old Son on the other hand, learned a wonderful lesson. The boy next to him played a game and won some tickets but didn't take them with him when he left the machine. My son spotted the tickets and immediately snatched them up before I could say anything and ran after the boy finally finding him across the room with his parents getting ready to go. My son handed him the strip and said "You forgot your tickets." The boy snatched them up and turned around. That kind of impolite behavior didn't amaze me, what did is that neither of his parents did anything either. The idea of saying "thank you" was apparently lost on the entire family of old. But then again, if might makes right, and the strong prosper and the weak die, and we are all just animals constructed by time and chance and life is the oddity and death the constant, then what does saying "thank you" to a three year old matter? In that case neither saying "thank you" nor pushing him down and taking his is wrong or right. More fool my son for not pocketing the tickets, eh?

By contrast, the funny thing is, although our congregation is made up of converts to Christianity like myself, you can already see a difference in the behavior of our kids. Is their behavior perfect? Not at all. You can still see selfishness and so on. But the difference in their language, general level of respect especially towards elders, willingness to obey, patience, modesty of clothing, and attitude towards learning (seeing it as a gracious benefit rather than a mark of being a dweeb) is profound. Why? Because they are both being affected bit by bit by grace, and also because they are being taught to deny self, to take up the cross, to esteem others more highly themselves, and to obey God's commands out of love. You may end up hating and despising everything they believe, and think they are a bunch of brainwashed throw-backs to an earlier era, but in a few years when you are elderly, and they are grown up, these are the kids you'll hope are walking towards you in the dark alleyway, not the "I'll do whatever seems right in my own eyes" type.

The funny thing is even immigrants from other countries can see what our "Death of God" Nihilism is doing to our cultures. Recently for instance, David Lacy, the Moderator of the tremendously liberal "we don't believe the bible either" Church of Scotland was one of many British religious leaders approached by Muslim and Hindu leaders who begged them to abandon multiculturalism and be more "strident" in teaching Christian beliefs. They see that British culture is falling apart at a rate that far exceeds their ability to convert Britons to their faiths, and which has a negative effect on their children and families. The response of Lacy was predictably "NO", they are committed to following the humanist bandwagon off the cultural cliff. Atheistic Humanism and absolute autonomy uber alles. What does it matter if it is a death sentence for the institution of the family?

Ah well, thats the culture. I'll live in it, I'll work with it, but I'll demure from sending my children to its schools as long as I can.

It's funny how you imply that those kids and their parents from your Chucky Cheese story are rude because they are Godless heathens that have strayed from the Christian flock and no longer have any values or morals.  And how only the Christians are the valient defenders of morals and family values.  More BS drivel from you.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2005, 12:59:15 AM »
Originally posted by Seagoon
Hello SOB,

Forgive me for being somewhat bitter in my reply above. It was inappropriate.

Please don't misunderstand me, I understand that I am commanded to remain in the world, rather than withdrawing to form some sort of commune, or adopting an Amish approach to life (as much as I am sure there are many who would prefer it if I did ;) ). In fact, to do so would be to go against Christ's commandment to go into the all the nations, and to teach men to be his disciples (Matt. 28:19-20) and to be the light and the salt of the earth. But sometimes I chafe under the other assurances Christians have received from Christ, that in the world we will have tribulation and be hated. (John 16:33, John 15:18-20). Intellectually, I can understand it, but the practical outworking of living through it for many years begins to grind. But hey, then again, I have no cause to be ungrateful, especially considering I live in the most "Christian friendly" nation on earth.

I don't know that it was inappropriate for the Intardnet, but that's OK.  Being a smart-ass can be fun, especially when it's taken in stride (and thanks for having the ability to do so yourself).

It is not so much wanting my kids to be sheltered from the "evil non-Christians" nor would I for a moment allege that I and my children don't have our own sin problems. What I would like to shelter them from if it were possible, is the coarsening of society that has come as a direct result of our being cast adrift into the moribund sea of secular humanism. The long term effects on our society, of refusing to acknowledge God, biblical ethics, the concept of absolute truth, or the concept that there will indeed be a final judgment, is making western society a progressively more horrible place in which to raise children.

I suppose I can buy what you're selling there to a degree, but I don't think it's that black and white.  There are some bad people out there in the world, and there are some not-so-bad people who despite being not-so-bad are lacking either the smarts or the guidance to understand how to play nice with the rest of society.  For the bad people, having faith that they will be judged for their deeds after they're dead, leading to either eternal bliss or damnation is a good thing.  For the not-so-baddies, the same is true, but also having someone to (a priest, Jesus & the apostles & ect through the bible) guide them to make the proper choices in life is also a good thing.  However, there are others who, through common sense and reasoning, can make sensible choices about how they live their lives.  Karma isn't a mystical demon waiting around to smack you for being bad.  Karma is your own actions coming back to bite you on the bellybutton in the form of people whom you've treated badly.  If you try to lead a good life and are kind to the people around you, then chances are, good things will happen to you.  Maybe you won't get a million bucks, maybe you're never going to fly a fighter jet, and you might even get cancer, but along the way you'll be blessed with strong relationships with good friends.

-Girls fighting in the mall, Rude parents in the Chuck E Cheeses...snip due to post length limits-

There are obviously a lot of jerks out there.  That's life.  You'll truly come out ahead when despite the jerks, your kids grow up to be kind and genuine people.  As for these particular people, if they really are jerks, then Karma (as I previously defined) is probably gonna bite 'em on the bellybutton eventually.  Maybe one day they'll win $100,000, get hit by a car, and learn about Karma from Carson Daily, and subsequently turn their lives around... or maybe they'll find religion and have some much-needed guidance in their lives... or maybe they'll just continue to be jerks... or maybe the parents that you had this experience with were actually devout Christians who lead a good life 99% of the time and you had the misfortune of witnessing them at a low point in their day when they just weren't paying attention to what was going on.

By contrast, the funny thing is, although our congregation is made up of converts to Christianity like myself, you can already see a difference in the behavior of our kids. Is their behavior perfect? Not at all. You can still see selfishness and so on. But the difference in their language, general level of respect especially towards elders, willingness to obey, patience, modesty of clothing, and attitude towards learning (seeing it as a gracious benefit rather than a mark of being a dweeb) is profound. Why? Because they are both being affected bit by bit by grace, and also because they are being taught to deny self, to take up the cross, to esteem others more highly themselves, and to obey God's commands out of love. You may end up hating and despising everything they believe, and think they are a bunch of brainwashed throw-backs to an earlier era, but in a few years when you are elderly, and they are grown up, these are the kids you'll hope are walking towards you in the dark alleyway, not the "I'll do whatever seems right in my own eyes" type.

Am I far from the mark in thinking that these people, you and your congregation, saw your lives headed in the wrong direction, and made a concious choice to turn things around.  Maybe you didn't have the answers to make this happen, and turned to Christianity.  Maybe you did have the answers to make this happen, and turned to Christianity simply because it fit with where you were headed.  These adults in your congregation made this concious choice to lead decent lives, and their children coming along for the ride is a tangible benefit that could be expected.

I don't hate or despise anything that Christians believe in.  I'm glad that Christianity can guide the weak and the evil to lead a decent life.  I'm also glad that it can give comfort and guidance to the decent and the strong.  And I don't even think of Christians as being brainwashed...some people have faith and some don't.  That's human.  I am not that fond of the idea put forth that non-believers are somehow lesser people for not following "the word", nor am I fond at all of the bigotry toward homosexuals or anyone else choosing to live a non-traditional lifestyle (whether that be a stripper working her way through college or a guy who's old and brittle before his time due to illness, seeking comfort in the viewing of a stripper).

The funny thing is even immigrants from other countries can see what our "Death of God" Nihilism is doing to our cultures. Recently for instance, David Lacy, the Moderator of the tremendously liberal "we don't believe the bible either" Church of Scotland was one of many British religious leaders approached by Muslim and Hindu leaders who begged them to abandon multiculturalism and be more "strident" in teaching Christian beliefs. They see that British culture is falling apart at a rate that far exceeds their ability to convert Britons to their faiths, and which has a negative effect on their children and families. The response of Lacy was predictably "NO", they are committed to following the humanist bandwagon off the cultural cliff. Atheistic Humanism and absolute autonomy uber alles. What does it matter if it is a death sentence for the institution of the family?

Ah well, thats the culture. I'll live in it, I'll work with it, but I'll demure from sending my children to its schools as long as I can.

Well, for my part, I'm not Athiest...I guess I'd be Agnostic.  I don't know, and until I see some real proof, I'll continue not to know and not to believe.  I am rich with good friends and family, some of which are strong Christians and some of which are die-hard Athiests, and many in-between.  I am not $ rich, but I have a good life, and I do believe I have this because I am a genuinely good person.  Not because of "God" or what he/she says I should do, but because I can see the effect of being a decent human being to the people around you.    And I don't believe I am alone in the world.

To sum up, the bad things your seeing aren't the result of non-believers.  They're the result of the weak and of the evil, who may or may not be believers, but certainly don't follow "the word".  And for these folks, I join you in wishing they would.  On the other hand, I also wouldn't mind real punishment for criminals, so they actually have something tangible to fear in the absense of a fear of the almighty.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2005, 03:08:50 AM »
Nice post, SOB.

I would like to add that a good education is not necessarily a value followed only by christians.

It took time, but my kids now say thank you without having to be reminded, and I still teach them to be respectful of others.

OTOH, you can't be sure that the parents of those ill-raised kids weren't believing in the same god as you.

Finally, it's ironic that some people rule out the apparition of life as a freak accident while believing into a omnipotent and aeternal being.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 03:14:30 AM by deSelys »
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2005, 11:07:06 AM »
Hi there Seagoon. I know ya said you needed a break from the forums, but OTOH I think it was the more man-all-battlestations confrontational "discussions" that caused it, so I'll allow myself to respond.

We could turn this into a my-linklist is bigger than yours competition, but I'd rather address some other points first

I am someone who was once a strident believer in Darwinian evolution, many of the scientists currently on the fringes of the ID movement were as well. For most of them, it is not ignoring the facts that caused them to change their minds. Rather it is the fact that the old Darwinian paradigm can no longer explain the available data, and therefore they are searching for a paradigm that can.

Darwin's theory of evolution, as first presented, had major issues it did not explain or had a suggestion for. Punctuated Equlibrium, for instance, is a much later addition (Gould). The observance of speciation has also come late, compared to Darwin.

Morphological evidence, while scarce, has become more readily available and can be subjected to more rigious tests, applying past knowledge.

Genetic sequence evidence is also a new addition, dealing with phylogenetic similarities between species. An extremely interesting and well documented/supported area of interest.

So while I can fathom that people with an understanding of Darwin that is based on popular books or Darwin's own work think that there are holes, once the last century's worth of knowledge has been added, it does baffle me that intelligent people still equate it to a Wild Assed Guess.

I don't find Gould confrontational - he is on record stating unequivocally that science and religion can go hand in hand and may actually aid each other. Dawkins, on the other hand, is much more hostile towards religion, seeing it as an enemy of science. Your mileage may vary but Goulds popularistic books certainly aren't "fundamentalism" in the same way as http://www.godhatesstudmuffins.com is.

You're a man of good intellect Seagoon, I know that from reading your posts. It makes me curious as to how you have reached this conclusion. You have studied evolution, so you know about stratification and the circumstances necessary for fossil creation. You'd also be aware that the fossil record is continually being expanded - we're getting more knowledge, not less. You know about gene sequencing and probably have heard about the latest examples of speciation. Yet you come to the opposite conclusion that I do.

I'm no dumb guy so it's not a difference in intellectual capacity that'd lead to this difference. It must either be sources (an honest man must follow the truth) or personal values affecting the judgement. I'll readily admit my background is from a science family with little faith which has made me require evidence for everything, leaving me almost incapable of taking anything as faith. You have that capacity.

Of course, it could be the sources we base our knowledge on that is the key ingredient in which case we'd need to examine these before any sense can be made out of anything.

StSanta, the Neo-Darwinian community wants to frame the argument as being heroic scientists standing up to mindless believers, but what is actually going on at the moment is that the Neo-Darwinians have become the lock-step believers and will do anything to prevent the theory from being questioned. At this point, scientists could discover "MADE BY ALIENS FROM BETELGEUSE, GREETINGS EARTHLINGS" in tiny letters at the heart of the DNA Helix and they'd get to work trying to figure out how evolution created such an odd combination - no other course would be available to them unless they wanted to be permanently out of work and doing interviews on the Art Bell show for the rest of their lives.

I think you are doing as great a disservice to scientists with this comment as atheists do to theists when they call them "mindless sheep, weak of mind and spirit who need a happy-go-pretend friend to go through life". Really, your comment is equivalent to that for me. It's a bit uncalled for and I understand it comes from frustration.

It's a pretty funny comment though :D

If you say "err maybe these cells were manufactured?" I would say maybe. It's entirely possible and I hope you're right, because that'd mean a manufacturer is around and just the mere knowledge that such an entity is around would give me a bagful of hope.

If you say "these cells were manufactured and that's what I'm going to make sure your kids are taught!" my reply would be different. I would need the evidence supporting it, logical deductions and so forth. I would, in essence, require that your theory be falsifiable.

If the end argument (as in the case of the ID argument presented by Behe) is "this stuff is pretty complicated. We don't get it. My belief is we never will. Clearly a being much superior to us must have created it.", it will not be enough. Such an argument simply isn't science - it's not falsifiable and it's a logical fallacy - we do not know A, therefore B.

And, as such, it must not claim to be science. It is an alternative to evolution on a spiritual plane, on a philosophical plane but on a strict fact based, falsifiable plane, it is not. Such an idea, because it is so undefined, cannot be treated scientifically.

You may be right Seagoon - that guess might be right and evolution totally off the mark, so off the mark God himself gets a chuckle out of it. But it ain't good science. Evolution adheres to scientific principles and therefore it is proper that it is taught in science classes whether evolution is right or wrong. The methodology of science is the key here and science does to claim to have the one true answer to anything. It is, rather ironically, evolving.
:D:D
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 11:11:21 AM by StSanta »

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2005, 11:50:06 AM »

That a popular comic writer is perpetuating this myth is sad but not really surprising.  Creationists by and large have learned to grow a thick skin when it comes to unfounded accusations.

The cartoon is showing the hypocrisy of Creationists/ID fanatics.
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline ChickenHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2005, 12:30:08 PM »
Originally posted by Silat
The cartoon is showing the hypocrisy of Creationists/ID fanatics.

And I'm saying there's no hypocrisy to be found in the situation portrayed.

A reader ignorant of a creationists position gets the impression that creationists don't believe any life form can make changes according to its environment.  This of course is untrue and perpetuates the myth that they are stupid and don't follow the progressions of science.  Everyone knows bacteria mutate and grow immune to antibiotics.  Likewise everyone knows that plants and animals adapt to their environments also.  Creationists work from the same data evolutionists work from, they just come to different conclusions.

The comic writer is showing his ignorance.  There is nothing hypocritical about a creationist enjoying the benefits of science.  Many are scientists themselves.

I can't speak for ID fanatics because I'm not one of them and they were not mentioned in the comic.
Do not attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, fear, ignorance or stupidity, because there are millions more garden variety idiots walking around in the world than there are blackhearted Machiavellis.

Offline Booz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2005, 04:16:16 PM »
I'm actually confused now... ID is supposed to be a serious non-religious "Scientific Theory" and if we don't teach it to 9th grade biology students as an evidenced explaination for the diversity of life on the planet,  then society will collapse and adolescent boys will steal tokens at Chuck E. Cheese??
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 04:30:01 PM by Booz »

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2005, 04:29:28 PM »
And I'm saying there's no hypocrisy to be found in the situation portrayed.

A reader ignorant of a creationists position gets the impression that creationists don't believe any life form can make changes according to its environment.  This of course is untrue and perpetuates the myth that they are stupid and don't follow the progressions of science.  Everyone knows bacteria mutate and grow immune to antibiotics.  Likewise everyone knows that plants and animals adapt to their environments also.  Creationists work from the same data evolutionists work from, they just come to different conclusions.

The comic writer is showing his ignorance.  There is nothing hypocritical about a creationist enjoying the benefits of science.  Many are scientists themselves.

I can't speak for ID fanatics because I'm not one of them and they were not mentioned in the comic.

Let me help you understand with this:

Creationism = Intelligent Design
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline ChickenHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2005, 08:37:48 PM »
Originally posted by Silat
Let me help you understand with this:

Creationism = Intelligent Design

True.  But Intelligent Design does not equal Creationism.

As it's currently being presented, the ID movement leaves open the possibility that life on earth was engineered by an alien race or some entity other than God.  As a pure literal creationist, I have a big problem with that.

As such it affects me little and I don't really follow it.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2005, 09:30:13 PM »
Originally posted by Leslie
It just doesn't seem scientific to outright dismiss something unless there is absolute proof it is not so.
Les

Great read ..Ty..:)

but there is absolutely no proof God ever lived....so i dissmiss religion entirely.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2005, 10:04:41 PM »
True.  But Intelligent Design does not equal Creationism.

So you are saying that an intellegent designer never created anything?

Of course ID = Creationism.