Author Topic: Buff guns...  (Read 3825 times)

Offline viper215

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bops.us
Buff guns...
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2006, 08:25:51 PM »
NAY
- Viper215 - Birds of Prey - Falcon Wing -
               - www.bops.us -

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Buff guns...
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2006, 01:48:22 AM »
This is turning into as divided a thread as any "hangar-bangers" vs furballers suggestion flame-fest. I think it's pretty safe to say that the line has more or less been drawn. Everyone for "Buffs are overpowered" on the left, everyone else on the right.

There must be SOME compromise that would work for both camps. Kweassa had a lot of good suggestions. ESPECIALLY things like Buffs being able to shoot through their drones would be a good place to start. That would open up more angles of attack if you could approach from angles where the drones would prevent one or both of the other aircraft in the formation from lending their guns. It'd still require the interceptor to choose his approach angle carefully to take advantage, but at LEAST it gives him something to take advantage OF rather than just high angles of attack.

I'd be interested in seeing a ballistics comparison on the .target between the nose .50s on the P-38 and one from the B-17, see if there's any difference (and I'm NOT the first person to suggest Buff guns might have increased range over the same guns from fighters--and the .50 cal on the American buffs is the SAME Ma Deuce used by the fighters. It came up in another thread somewhere 'round here).
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Buff guns...
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2006, 06:16:44 AM »
Saxman, I'm confused.

If bombers die roughly 2.5 times for every one time they get a kill, why do you want to make their fire weaker? Why does there need to be "a compromise"?

If you weaken them enough that people dont make it home, no one will fly them and you wont get kills on them anyway. How low do you want their KPD to go?

And about the 50s -- why would HTC go to the trouble (not to mention the deceptiveness) of making 2 50cal models? If you think carefully about Kweassa's area effect concept, i think you'll find that it fully explains what people perceive about buff guns' "increased accuracy".
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 06:21:29 AM by Simaril »
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Buff guns...
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2006, 09:27:33 AM »
Okay, so I grab a form of B26s, lift off a runway, turn sharp, lose 2 drones, then kill 3 fighters and land. K/D of .75.

You can't determine how effective bombers are by looking at 2 stats. We all know exactly how bombers are used by a majority in here, and I think it's a safe assumption that the guys who, for example, up 88s and b26s ,continuously slamming them into the side of a fleet are certainly affecting the stats.

Spend some time in bombers, practice gunning. You'll be surprised.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Buff guns...
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2006, 03:09:30 PM »
I did a series of tests offline to prove my theory - and I think I'm right.

While there are distinct differences according to attacking angles, usually at the rear angles the bullet patterns land at an astonishing pattern.

At a maximal scattered pattern, the fired rounds cover an area in a rectangular box, that covers more than half the radius of the .target bull's eye in the horizontal, and about 100~200 yards vertical.

Here's a tip I found out - when trying to evade buff guns, don't turn horizontally. It's no use.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Buff guns...
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2006, 07:17:33 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
Okay, so I grab a form of B26s, lift off a runway, turn sharp, lose 2 drones, then kill 3 fighters and land. K/D of .75.

You can't determine how effective bombers are by looking at 2 stats. We all know exactly how bombers are used by a majority in here, and I think it's a safe assumption that the guys who, for example, up 88s and b26s ,continuously slamming them into the side of a fleet are certainly affecting the stats.

Spend some time in bombers, practice gunning. You'll be surprised.

First, a brief math pointer. 3 Kills divided by 2 deaths equals 1.5 KPD.   ;)
Getting the ratio right in your eaxmple would require getting ONE kill while losing all three in your formation.

MA totals were something like 80000 deaths and 30000 kills for level bombers last tour. It worked out to 0.37 kpd. This means that level bombers did slightly worse than the Hurri2D (the one with 40mm) and a bit better than the C.202. Would you want to weaken the attacking power of either of those rides? Here's tour 71 data

Like I said, I used to fly buffs a lot. Now I'm essentially exclusively in fighters. (I am trying IL-2 as capped base defense, but I'm 0-6....thats obviously not going well).

I dont consider myself all that good, but I'm 26-1 attacking buffs this month. My only death came when I got greedy and collided. IN the MA world, buffs are FUNCTIONALLY very weak. Yes, a skilled pilot and gunner will own 95% of solo attackers -- but there are very few with those skills who floy buffs a lot. If I take pings at extreme ranges, I will only make VERY safe runs -- and will consider just looking for safer meat to hunt.

Watch the typical MA attack on buffs. 90% will climb slowly up to the buffs and attack from the 6 position, with very little E. Even when attackers start with extra alt, they almost always dive onto the 6, fly over the top, pull back, and park on the 6 again. When I'm setting up an attack, I really dont mind if someone else attacks first -- because almost every time, the attacker just pulls up behind and hacks away at the bomber.

Blaming the MA buff model is no different than blaming the unperked LA7. Either way, its not that hard to beat if you do it right -- and either way, a good pilot driving the bird is plain scary. But, most La7 pilots are inexperienced, and most buff drivers are killable.

AH buffs are NOT too strong a force in gameplay. The numbers show it. If you routinely are dying to buffs, your tactics are at fault -- either attack right, or dont press a losing attack because your bloodlust is up. With all due respect, I'd have to say dont blame the model because youre not doing things right.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 07:21:50 PM by Simaril »

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
Buff guns...
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2006, 02:34:48 PM »
Be it tactics, patience, lousey gunnery, whatever. I just don't attack them any more.  I decided it's a waste of my time to catch, climb above, attack and die. I just wasted 20 minutes to watch my engine smoke as i spin towards earth.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Buff guns...
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2006, 09:33:43 AM »
If you took the time to climb above, you're really close to getting it....

Make sure you have built speed up after climb. If you're going same speed as buffs, and you're even with them -- when you turn your speed vertical to dive, the buff continues forward horizontally and you end up on his 6.

When Thundregg thought I was wagging the wings, i was really just waitng for my speed to build up, and was checking to make sure he didnt change direction under me.

Get right over the top, dive and aim for the wing root of the lead buff. Stop pullling to keep on target when you get to 200-300 and let the buff go in front so you pass under and just behind.

As far as aim goes, you can try this with offline drones and targeting turned on - you'll get a green cross that shows where your dive and gunsight should focus.

Pick the right plane too -- for high alt (postentially 20k plus) nothing beats the P-47N when hunting buffs. Lower alts give lots more choices, but some buff pilots will use alt as a defense and climb up to where other pklanes get harder to fly.

Offline SKDenny

• Zinc Member
      • http://216.12.31.149
Buff guns...
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2006, 08:38:21 PM »
Originally posted by Saxman
Here's a brief example from a week or so ago that something is at least slightly flakey.

I'm at ~10k, cruising to target when I spot a con on the map at the field I'd left, so I turn around and head back. Thinking it's the usual pork runner I start shedding alt, then suddenly find myself with the con a good 5000ft above and heading towards me. I pull back up, he passes me (still out of con range) and I start a climbing spiral to follow and regain alt, at which poing I'm still lagging behind him.

Finally I get back to co-alt and decrease my climb rate to pick up more speed. The con turns back towards the field, at which point I'm FINALLY conning him as a solo B-24. I'm now above him by about a thousand feet, turning to follow, and end up more or less at his 9 o'clock High, ~1.5k out. By this time I've also got my speed back. He starts shooting at a range of ~D1.5k. And he's HITTING ME. D1.5k with nearly 90 degrees of deflection (I'm pulling ahead of him and climbing, but it's pretty close).

Long story short we're at 15,000 feet and I get above the soup, start making diving passes through the cloud layer and flame him.

The point is, in the GAME, even a P-38 has problems hitting a target at 1.5k with Brownings and a 0 deflection or saddle shot, but THIS guy was pinging the HECK out of me from a POORER firing position (he only stopped shooting because I got above the cloud layer and he lost vis).

That is strange since B24 50 cals vanish at 1.1k
We do not have a 1.5k range on bomber guns. Maybe you were lagging and was closer than you thought

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
Buff guns...
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2006, 08:45:21 PM »
I had the tail sawn off my 262 in my only combat loss of a 262, by a b17 at my 3, 2 miles out, and he was tailsteering away from me.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline SKDenny

• Zinc Member
Buff guns...
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2006, 08:48:25 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
The perceived problem is the maximized "cone of fire" effect.

Like Karnak said some time ago HT himself clarified that the buff guns don't just converge automatically at a single point, with the so called "laser-targetting" accuracy. While the explanation was a bit vague, since IIRC he didn't exactly explain how the guns converged to what accuracy, I think we can loosely assume that all the buff guns will just 'try' to shoot at the point where the current defensive gunner is aiming/firing at. It won't EXACTLY converge at a single point, but all the rest of the gunners will fire towards it.

The bomber guns center at 500, the only time you will not find this true is if there is a gunner onboard and the pilot is shooting also. Other wise I have to aim either a little left or right to hit you at 1000

Offline SKDenny

• Zinc Member
Buff guns...
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2006, 08:50:36 PM »
Originally posted by Pooh21
I had the tail sawn off my 262 in my only combat loss of a 262, by a b17 at my 3, 2 miles out, and he was tailsteering away from me.

Wow the more storie that come the better they get.  Check your lag

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
Buff guns...
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2006, 10:39:07 PM »
lol I have none, I was really 2k from him as I was attempting to get ahead to come in from his 11ish. I can regularly hit up to 2k with a buff gun and I dont even fly the dang things, I mean just cause you cant, well I mean thats why one flys buffs anyway, cause they die in fighters.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Buff guns...
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2006, 02:00:35 AM »
I don't often lag, get pings ~30+/- most of the time.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline SKDenny

• Zinc Member
HT buff guns
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2006, 02:17:42 AM »
What say you HT can buff guns shoot 2miles or even 1200 yards