Author Topic: Kabul is bombed.  (Read 4690 times)

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Kabul is bombed.
« on: October 07, 2001, 12:04:00 PM »
Please turn on your TVs. I can't get to any news sites even in Russia.

One question: why Kabul?...

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Kabul is bombed.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2001, 12:11:00 PM »
It's just the very, very  beginning of the  of the "air/land battle 1.01". The latest version, if you will.

First, all anti-air and command and control assets are going to be attacked until the planners are satisfed. Once you totally control the air you have a huge advantage.

Then they'll probably move on to Taliban troops.

The Iraqis didn't like version 1.0.  I doubt the Taliban will like 1.01.

From CNN:

"A senior Taliban official in Kandahar said their command and radar systems at the Kandahar airport had been destroyed, but said the group does not rely entirely on that equipment, CNN learned.

The attack began with strikes at air defense installations around the Afghan capital of Kabul and the southern city of Kandahar, Pentagon officials told CNN. Witnesses in Kandahar told CNN that at least three explosions rocked the city, and power was out. "
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Kabul is bombed.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2001, 12:17:00 PM »
1.01 means another half-million civilians killed?

Ok. Now while Americans will watch CNN reports - Russian border guards will fight and another thousands will die under "smart bombs".

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Kabul is bombed.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2001, 12:25:00 PM »
Source for your numbers? Iraq didn't even release any numbers for civilian casualties.

Where are your border guards going to fight?

5000+ ALREADY died under two "smart bombs" in NYC. Did the Taliban really think there would be no response?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
Kabul is bombed.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2001, 12:26:00 PM »
Basically, radar sites, airports, AAA installations got US PRiority Mail.  They also sent a few more tomahawks at some old training bases that were abandoned.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Kabul is bombed.
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2001, 12:37:00 PM »
Boroda...

I know there has to be some degree of paranoia towards news, but lets still think rationally and not get biased...

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Kabul is bombed.
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2001, 12:46:00 PM »
Toad, Iraq reported at least 150000 civilians dead. Source: Soviet TV, winter 1991.

Commonwealth borders are guarded by Russian troops. I expect Taliban invading Uzbekistan and Tajikistan in a matter of days or even hours.

Dinger, they will never admit bombing civilians. Did you see Iraqui TV showing a destroyed bomb shelter in 1991? CNN said it was a military installation.

I do support the anti-Talib war. But bombing cities is too much. Dresden, Hamburg, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Yalu-tsyan power stations, Hanoi, Belgrad, Kabul... Better find the terrorists, and don't touch civilians. Like Russians do in Chechnya.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Kabul is bombed.
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2001, 01:11:00 PM »
.01 means another half-million civilians killed?

Wow Baroda.. I didn't know the USSR left that many survivors in Afghanistan.

:rolleyes:

Clean up your own backyard first bud.

AKDejaVu

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Kabul is bombed.
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2001, 01:13:00 PM »
You are so sure that US forces are deliberately attacking non-taleban tactical targets? I suggest you assume to much, and assume the worst case scenario. While war is never a pretty picture without civilian casualties, the US does not make habit of targeting them. Please back your thoughts up with some facts...after you (and anyone else for that matter) has had time to collect good data.

V/R
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
Kabul is bombed.
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2001, 01:28:00 PM »
I just heard that it was a radar site targeted just outside Kabul - about 4 exlosions were heard.  

British have allowed Diego Garcia to be used by USAF and two British submarines have launched tomahawk missiles on the Taliban.  British E-3 Sentry's are being used in the area as requested by US Govt.  (British forces have large prescence in area (23,000 plus) because of Operation Saif Sereea II (Swift Sword 2) in Oman.

Regards

Nexx
NEXX

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Kabul is bombed.
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2001, 01:35:00 PM »
oh brother....here comes the attack if the sweeping emotive statements.

"more babies dieing in the streets" ....more "innocent civilians clobbered"

grow a backbone.

Offline Dogger

• Zinc Member
Kabul is bombed.
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2001, 01:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Boroda:

Commonwealth borders are guarded by Russian troops. I expect Taliban invading Uzbekistan and Tajikistan in a matter of days or even hours.

Gemme a diddlying break ! what exactly are they going to "invade" with? :rolleyes:

And how exectly are they going to do it when there busy hiding in there holes?

And there not "bombing city's" there hitting *targets*....big diff.

[ 10-07-2001: Message edited by: Dogger ]

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
Kabul is bombed.
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2001, 01:47:00 PM »
I said those places got US Priority Mail, I didn't say that's where all the mail arrived.  I'm not saying we won't get our hair mussed.

In Iraq, the US killed a lot of civilians, and they actually admit to a lot of it (although not right away, it must be admitted).  We bombed bomb shelters, baby food factories among a bunch of other things.

Now, there's a qualitative difference between the first four cities on your list and the last ones.  ANd the Yalu power stations weren't exactly massive concentrations of civilians (Sorry about degrading the Manchurian power grid -- I'm sure that pissed you guys off).
Anyway, the first four were terror bombings, where concentrations of civilians were targeted.  The last ones certainly killed civilians, but Belgrade isn't exactly flat at the moment.
And yes, we should emulate the sanitary model of the Russians in Chechnya, who only kill terrorists and those related to them within six degrees of consanguinity and affinity.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Kabul is bombed.
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2001, 01:48:00 PM »
Ammo, I simply remember US at wars. And about inevitable civilian casualities - please rethink Western attitude to Chechen operation.

Dogger, there is WAR at the Southern border of the Commonwealth, war that came to the borders of the former Empire after our Western friends persuaded Gorbachev to withdraw from Afghan. Sending troops there was a great mistake, but withdrawing was even a bigger f#$kup.

They are not hiding in their "holes". They are ready for an invasion. Your post gives me an idea of what your TV feeds you.

A good link about Soviet operations in Afghanistan:
 http://www.afgan.spb.ru/index_e.html

Offline the_hegemon

• Copper Member
      • http://127.0.0.1
Kabul is bombed.
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2001, 02:00:00 PM »
While you're going about remembering the US at war, please try to remember every other war in the history of this planet that has ever taken place as well, and the civilian casualties in them.  When anyone goes to war, people die, and sometimes they are civilians.