Author Topic: Rolling plane set  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Rolling plane set
« on: January 10, 2006, 12:00:54 PM »
Slash picked up the RPS ball and brought it into the staff forum.  Generally, I think we're all supporters of the idea.  So here are some questions thrown out to solicit opinions:

- How long should the RPS run?  Assuming that it's either PAC or ETO, sooner or later the people who are afficionados of the ignored plane set will grumble.

- Should it be PAC or ETO?

- (This is the one that I predict will cause the most concern):  How should the plane set be divided?  In ETO, for example, the early plane set will be the BoB aircraft, but what would come the next week, and the week after that, &c.?

- oldman

Offline RedDg

• Silver Member
Rolling plane set
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 12:34:17 PM »
For starters, why not alternate between ETO and PAC.

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Rolling plane set
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 12:37:59 PM »
I think the ETO would be easier to start with...

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Rolling plane set
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 01:13:01 PM »
Try ETO make it two weeks. Then run PTO for two weeks if possible.

I wouldn't rule out just making it Axis, and Allies period for two weeks allowing all aircraft to be used eventually.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Rolling plane set
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 01:25:09 PM »
Im glad to see the CT staff consiedring this.  Its shows a flexibility and openess that is refreshing for AH in general, and CT in particular.

Ive been sitting here for several  minutes trying to think stuff up to suggest but in retrospect Im a better reactionary.  I need stuff to work with.

Just come up with your best plan and we try it, then come we will back and see what works and what doesnt.

Although, Im growing fond of 190s so feel free to start with ETO :D
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Rolling plane set
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 01:41:34 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager

Although, Im growing fond of 190s so feel free to start with ETO :D

Time to change the spelling of your name to Jaeger.;)

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Rolling plane set
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 02:16:10 PM »
hasn't ETO pulled in higher numbers than PTO historically in the CT?

you know my answer :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Sable

• Copper Member
Rolling plane set
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 02:28:06 PM »
Alternating between ETO and PTO seems like a good idea.  The next question is, do people want the stages of the RPS to be balanced between allies and axis?  Or do they want a "day in the sun" type RPS where planes that were historically dominant get a day of ownage?  

Balanced RPS
1940: Spit I vs. 109E
1941: Spit V vs. 109F
1942: Spit IX vs. 190A/109G2
etc

Day in the Sun RPS
Early 41: Spit V vs. 109F
Late 41/Early 42: Spit V vs. 190A
Early/Mid 44: P-51B/D vs. 109G/190A
etc

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
Rolling plane set
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 04:45:50 PM »
Although I currently don't have an AH subscription, it is things like this that begins to peek my interest again, so in the interest of developing a better arena I hope no one minds me throwing in my opinion as a "sideliner":)

First off as Shifty said I wouldn't be totally ignoring making the RPS an Allied vs Axis type setup.  There would be two sides in the arena, add Axis planes to one side as the date progresses, following suit with the Allies.  This would run for a one month cycle, progressing along a scaled timeline to mimic the war years, culminating with the final day of the cycle having all planes enabled for each respective side(aka the infamous "Jet Day")  

That way you have the benefit of enjoying the entire planeset, with the opportunity to give the early war planes a try.  Also by following a set timeline based upon release dates, I think you will end up with the "Day in the Sun" effect that Sable was talking about.  I would prefer that method, but you have to consider what effect that might have on the numbers balance in the arena.   Getting those individuals that have to jump to the side with the "best" plane can cause a disruption.

Now I know that the Axis vs Allied thing isn't truly historical, but it is a far better way to approach a planeset than the MA, imo and I believe would attract more people than the current CT approach.  That would be the man attraction to the RPS, the greater numbers.  I myself still would prefer a strict Historical arena, with reduced settings, only Bar Dar and a small planeset.  But at this point in MMP online flight sim evolution I don't think that it can support enough numbers to justify it :(

Second to an Axis vs Allied setup I really think ETO would be the way to go.  From popularity to the planeset it is definitely the better choice.  Also as I said I think to get the real feel for it it has to last at least one month as a test.

It's great to see the staff posing these questions, because I know for a fact the real truth in succes or failure of any attempt lies in the planning of it.

Crown Bug '06 :aok
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

storch

Rolling plane set
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 06:40:30 AM »
Originally posted by Shifty
I wouldn't rule out just making it Axis, and Allies period for two weeks allowing all aircraft to be used eventually.
that is an appealing thought.  I have an idea, this wouldn't be a rolling plane set as all would be enabled but perhaps if a larger map were used you could have early war to the south mid war, in the center and late war to the north.  I would say a total of six bases where the aircraft were enabled but allowing people to land anywhere it was green to rearm or tower out.

storch

Rolling plane set
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 06:42:53 AM »
Originally posted by Sable
Alternating between ETO and PTO seems like a good idea.  The next question is, do people want the stages of the RPS to be balanced between allies and axis?  Or do they want a "day in the sun" type RPS where planes that were historically dominant get a day of ownage?  

Balanced RPS
1941: Spit V vs. 109F
1942: Spit IX vs. 190A/109G2
etc

Day in the Sun RPS
Early 41: Spit V vs. 109F
Late 41/Early 42: Spit V vs. 190A
Early/Mid 44: P-51B/D vs. 109G/190A
etc

this is also a good idea, especially if the Hurricanes and 110s are left out.

Offline Sable

• Copper Member
Rolling plane set
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 03:02:24 PM »
Ok, so here's my plan for an ETO 1 month RPS.  I've noted where a sub is being made or some other special circumstance needs to be taken into account.  I didn't bother listing the C-47 - if we want field capture it should always be available for both sides.  If we want a one month cycle, that gives us about 2 months per day.  This is based on June 1940 to April 1945 - 59 months divded by 28 to 31 days.  This takes us up to Jan 1945 in a 28 day month, and gives us an extra day of late war in a 31 day month.  I chose those dates as our earliest planes are BoB rides, and April was the last full month of the war in europe.

Besides the rps setup, it might be neat to change from the Channel/BoB map to the Rhine map in late 1944.  It would also be kinda neat to change the weather settings with the seasons - i.e. low ceiling and vis in the winters, some puff clouds and higher ceilings in the spring and fall and severe clear in the summers.

Day 1: June/July 1940

Allies

Hurricane Mk I
Spitfire Mk I
*Blenheim (TBM3 - it can be used as a level bomber, and has a similar speed and only a slightly increased bomb load and defensive armament)

Axis

Bf109E
Bf110C
Ju87
Ju88

Day 4: Dec/Jan 1941

Allies - unchanged

Axis - Remove Bf110C (all zerstorer units had departed for other fronts)
Remove Ju87

Day 6: April/May 1941

Allies - add Spit Vb (only available at rear bases to reflect limited availability)
add Hurricane IIC (rear bases only)
add Boston III
remove Blenheim/TBM

Axis - add Bf109F (rear bases only - added prior to it's actual release because earlier 109F varients were in action)

Day 7: June/July 1941

Allies - remove Hurricane I
Spit V now available at all bases
Hurri IIC now available at all bases

Axis - remove Bf109E
Bf109F now available at all bases

Day 9: Oct/Nov 1941

Allies - remove Spit I

Axis - add Fw190A5 (rear bases only)

Day 11: Feb/Mar 1942

Allies - unchanged

Axis - Fw190A5 now available at all bases

Day 13: June/July 1942

Allies - add Spit IX (rear bases only)

Axis - Bf109F now available at rear bases only (was being phased out)

Day 14: Aug/Sept 1942

Allies  - add B-17 (rear bases only)
remove Hurri IIC

Axis - add Bf109G2 (rear fields only - only used to re-equip a few units at first)
remove Bf109F

Day 16: Dec/Jan 1943

Allies - Spit IX now available at all bases
B-17 now available at all bases

Axis - unchanged

Day 18: Aprl/May 1943

Allies - add Spit VIII (rear fields only)
add P-47D11 (rear fields only)
add B-26 (rear fields only)
add B-24 (rear fields only)

Axis - add Bf109G6
Bf109G2 now available at all bases

Day 19: June/July 1943

Allies - add Typhoon (I kinda have a problem with this one, as our Typhoon vastly outperforms every other fighter at lower alts during this time period - maybe limit it to rear fields only)

Axis - unchanged

Day 20: August/Sept 1943

Allies - P-47D now available at all fields

Axis - add Bf110G (rear fields only - was used in limited numbers as a bomber destroyer over germany - not as a jabo attacking england)

Day 21: Oct/Nov 1943

Allies - add P-38G (rear fields only)

Axis - remove Bf109G2

Day 22: Dec/Jan 1944

Allies - add P-38J (rear fields only)
add P-51B (rear fields only)
Spit VIII now available at all fields
remove Spit V

Axis - unchanged

Day 23: Feb/Mar 1944

Allies - remove P-38G

Axis - add Fw190A8

Day 24: April/May 1944

Allies - add P-47D25 (rear fields only)
add P-51D (rear fields only)
add Spit XIV (rear fields only)
P-38J now available at all fields
P-51B now available at all fields

Axis - unchanged

Day 25: June/July 1944

Allies - add P-38L (rear fields only)
add Spit XVI
P-47D25 now available at all fields
P-51D now available at all fields
Typhoon now available at all fields, if it was limited previously

Axis - add Bf109G14

Day 26: August/Sept 1944

Allies - add Tempest V (rear fields only)
P-38L now available at all fields

Axis - add Me163 (HQ field only)
remove Fw190A5

Day 27: Oct/Nov 1944

Allies - unchanged

Axis - add Bf109K
add Fw190D (yes, the early ones didn't quite have the performance of ours for another month or so, but in light of all the allied rides available, I think this is ok)
add Me262 (HQ field only)

Day 28: Dec/Jan 1945

Allies - Spit XIV now available at all fields
Tempest V now available at all fields
add P-47D40

Axis - add Ta152H (HQ field only - extremely rare, subject to same level of restriction as the jets)
add Ar234 (HQ field only)

Day 29: Feb/Mar 1945

Allies - add P-47N (rear fields only - sub for 47M)

Axis - unchanged
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 03:12:03 PM by Sable »

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Rolling plane set
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 04:48:31 PM »
Looks like you put a lot of work into that. But thats over two weeks of basically spits, and hurris against 109s, and 190s.

The RPS can be run in two weeks and get all the aircraft in it.:aok

Offline Sable

• Copper Member
Rolling plane set
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 05:10:10 PM »
Well, just take the above dates and divide by two and we have a two week RPS if that is more to peoples liking.

I could try to put something together for the mediterranean, russia, and the pacific if people like as well.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
Rolling plane set
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 05:30:20 PM »
Excellent effort Sable!  Don't listen to that old crotch Shifty.

I'd be interested in seeing your layout for a PTO and if possible an Axis vs Allied RPS.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane