Author Topic: Yet Another Reason to Repeal The Patriot Act  (Read 1057 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Yet Another Reason to Repeal The Patriot Act
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 08:41:19 AM »
oddly... I agree with nash.  I don't think he has a clue as to what he is saying but he is saying the right words.

if the government ever tries to help you then you can count on it removing some of your freedom and costing you money and making itself a lot bigger and stronger.

Like I said... rather have a few blue areas vaporized or just messed with that lose any freedoms.

lazs

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 08:46:43 AM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
What's the deal, dredlock, you some sort of terrorist lover?

I think the word here is 'unfunded mandate'.  

Of course, it's sad that people aren't outraged at the Patriot Act until it affects them directly.  

yea yea thats it. Im a terrorist lover lmao

No
But I have always been against the Patriot Act.

I am not willing to give up not one single one of my rights. Even if I dont use them (right to keep and bear arms) for any reason whatsoever.
Including and especially for the dillussion of security.

Good people gave their lives and died so that we may have and keep those rights.
And now Im supposed to just give them up just to save my sorry arse?
Particularly in the unlikely event I or my family become a victim of another attack?

I dont think so.

BTW I still call it extortion
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 08:52:03 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2006, 08:51:29 AM »
Originally posted by Nash
Mark your calendar... 9/12 was the day that a great country got overrun by a bunch of chicken*** s.

It's just a question now if anyone's got the 'nads to take it back.

As a country, you've faced far worse. FAR worse. You have stood up to it and have always prevailed. You didn't need any encroachment on your freedoms in order to prevail.

Your government is turning you into a bunch of frightened girls. It's pathetic. Don't buy it.

My GOD!!

Wait. Somethings wrong here!
Nash and I are on the same page and of the same opinion.

::shudders at the thought::

See Nash I told em you werent as dumb as they say;)
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2006, 09:00:23 AM »
is nash turning into a right wing american gunnut? i blame global warming.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2006, 09:00:49 AM »
I don't really think that nash knows what he is saying but in this case... he got it right.

dred.. I agree with you.  

lazs

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
Re: Yet Another Reason to Repeal The Patriot Act
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2006, 09:31:29 AM »
Hi RPM,

Originally posted by rpm
What a crock. Does anyone think a terrorist will actually take the time to have his fingerprints taken, get a CDL and drive a truckbomb into New York? Or will they simply steal a truck and turn it into a truckbomb? :noid

Actually it already happpened. Lyman Faris, a Muslim born in Kashmir who became a naturalized American citizen, had a CDL and drove a truck for a living. Faris  entered into a conspiracy with Al Qaeda to attempt to blow up the Brooklyn Bridge using a truck. The plot was exposed by an NSA wiretap.

In a sense RPM your having to pay for a background check on your CDL is for all the same reasons an Anglo-Saxon Pastor, a little Korean lady, and a grandmother got picked out of the passengers waiting to board a flight for a random search. Passengers on a commercial flight have already used weapons concealed on their persons to hijack an airplane and use it as a weapon to destroy high value targets in the USA. Now since we are forbidden to act on what we know about the likely religious and ethnic profile of potential Islamic terrorists, we are forced to screen every passenger. Now because the same terrorists have attempted to use trucks, you get screened and checked instead of just the likely terrorists.

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2006, 09:46:14 AM »
Mark your calendar... 9/12 was the day that a great country got overrun by a bunch of chicken*** s.

As a country, you've faced far worse. FAR worse. You have stood up to it and have always prevailed. You didn't need any encroachment on your freedoms in order to prevail.

Your government is turning you into a bunch of frightened girls. It's pathetic. Don't buy it.

Nash, this is not a new thought for you. If I had the time, I could probably find the same quote two or three years ago. What is truly amazing is that some here think that you've made a shift to the right by making this observation. The Bush admin has been playing the fear card since day one at ground zero. They used it to get the Patriot Act and they used it to invade Iraq.

:aok
sand

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2006, 09:57:44 AM »
I wonder what a $73 background investigation would have turned up for Lyman Faris? Or Timothy McVeigh? Or about the people who will murder over 15,000 people across the US this year?

Are you saying that this single incident has brought about the background investigation of all truck drivers in the United States? That would be insane paranoia, so there must be hundreds of incidents of thwarted terrorist truck drivers.

My God, only someone like Stalin could think of investigating all truck drivers in a nation of over 270,000,000 people.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 10:03:11 AM by Rolex »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2006, 10:09:54 AM »

let us know when we are half as pitiful as Canada

then we will start worrying :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2006, 10:11:21 AM »
Does anyone pity Canada?
sand

Offline weaselsan

• Silver Member
Re: Yet Another Reason to Repeal The Patriot Act
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2006, 10:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by rpm
I check the mail today and found a letter from the Texas DPS. Since I have a CDL (Commercial Driver License) with a HazMat endorsement the provisions of the Patriot Act directly affect me and my wallet.

Seems I might be a terrorist and must undergo a background check by DHS. Normally this wouldn't bother me since I'm not a terrorist. The problem is I have to pay $73 for the background check or they will revoke my license. None of the money is for the actual license, just the background check.

What a crock. Does anyone think a terrorist will actually take the time to have his fingerprints taken, get a CDL and drive a truckbomb into New York? Or will they simply steal a truck and turn it into a truckbomb? :noid

Actually it's not your money, it belongs to the government. What they allow you to keep is called a "Tax Expenditure".

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2006, 10:23:39 AM »
Dear Rolex,

As amazing as it may seem, millions of Americans are greatly inconvenienced every day, and billions of dollars are spent, because 12 men boarded four jumbo jets, took them over and flew them into major buildings, killing over 3000 people and destroying NYCs most prominent landmark. Since that time, the inconveniences and infringements we have been forced to submit to have uncovered well over a dozen similar plots.

We do have a choice you know, we can go back to the freer society we had pre-9/11 but the inevitable result will be that we have to deal with a few successful attacks every year. Of course, the moment the catastrophe occurs the public will go into a frenzy demanding more and more restrictions. "Why wasn't this prevented? Why wasn't his background checked?" Nothing though, not even surrender, as the Spaniards have learned, will cause the men who are plotting those attacks to stop doing so.

What many Westerners have failed to grasp is that Jihad is a forever war, it keeps going until the Dar-El-Islam extends throughout the world and all men everywhere submit to Sharia. There is no acceptable "stopping point" short of that objective.

Anyway, Rolex, RPM, et al you find the current administration's response to Jihad to be unacceptable. Fair enough. But tell me, what would you do differently, how would you respond to the situation as it currently stands? Lets say you were elected tomorrow, what would you do vis a vis the American response to the international Jihad? I am genuinely curious.

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline weaselsan

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2006, 10:25:34 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman
Does anyone pity Canada?

Canada is a country that has

1> American Culture

2> French Technology

3> British Food

I'd pity any country like that.... Heh!

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Yet Another Reason to Repeal The Patriot Act
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2006, 10:27:11 AM »
Originally posted by Seagoon
Hi RPM,

. Now since we are forbidden to act on what we know about the likely religious and ethnic profile  
- SEAGOON

Actually, our Constitution and Bill of Rights, which we all agree is what makes this a great country, say exactly that.  That we are forbidden to act based on religious or ethnic preferences and profiles.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2006, 10:58:33 AM »
Well, Seagoon, first thing would be to recognize that there is not an international Jihad as you have conjured in your mind. There are terrorists, and they should be investigated and brought before courts of law using cooperative efforts between governments.

Al Qaeda and Osama bin Laden's followers should be pursued with vigor, instead of having another few thousand Americans killed and ten thousand injured pursuing... whatever it is being pursued in Iraq. Especially since no one in Iraq, or connected to Iraq, has ever commited a terrorist act against the US. But instead, terrorists are being created daily from the family and friends of the (insert a number: 10,000? 20,000? 30,000? 40,000?) Iraqis killed during the past two years.

How about fixing the intelligence services of the US? There's a good a start. The CIA and FBI directors and the next 2 levels below should have been fired for cause - gross dereliction of duty by not sharing information and acting in the interests of their bosses (the American people), instead, acting in the childish interest of their little empires and themselves.

All the tools and laws are available. Only finding the right people to do the jobs with renewed purpose is necessary.