Author Topic: Learning offline  (Read 656 times)

Offline Ast

• Zinc Member
Learning offline
« on: January 22, 2006, 04:44:19 PM »
Well, I've been slowly learning offline as my internet connection has been flakey lately. I'm having some trouble making attacks on other airbases, I get there and get blown out by AAA. What plane should I use as my first strike to take these sucekrs out? I need something decently fast, tough as nails, and can carry rockets or bombs. Thanks! I promise I'll get online soon to check out the training area but my interenet is just too flakey atm. :mad:

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
Learning offline
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 05:33:47 PM »
Just for pratice I'd use a tempest. Online you earn things called perks. With those you can fly more "elite" aircraft which is what the tempest is. But for the sake of offline, I'd use it. It's very fast and can carry some rockets/bombs. To take out feild ack, just use the cannons, no need for rockets. The tempest has 4x20mm cannons, plenty to knock out the ack. Save the rockets for other targets.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Ast

• Zinc Member
Learning offline
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 06:16:19 PM »
Will try it, non-perked what do you suggest? I'm a P-38 fan(grandfather flew em), which version of that aircraft is best for dogfighting in the arena?

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Learning offline
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 06:30:26 PM »
Well, the P38G is the nimblest, but also the weakest in engine power. Id go for the PJ or PL, but im not much of an 38 expert. You can also fly them offline, to attack bases. (they pack quite good ordenance for a fighter).

"Best plane" always depends on your style. Low and slow in the weeds turnfighting, id go for Hurris, Spits, a6ms, N1K. 'Survivor' BnZ more the 109/P51/P47/LA7.

Dont forget the Ki84, C205, Yaks, they are great performers and quite deadly.

I guess in the end, its more about personal perferences and *knowing* your plane then really which one is the "best".

Go check out Soda's Page for info on the different AC.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
Learning offline
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 06:35:29 PM »
Schatzi.....don't let em in on the Mk1 secret :D

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Learning offline
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 06:41:34 PM »
Originally posted by Ast
Will try it, non-perked what do you suggest? I'm a P-38 fan(grandfather flew em), which version of that aircraft is best for dogfighting in the arena?

While your grandfathr flew them I bet he didn't start off in them. Some planes are better than other to learn the basics in. Once you have a foundation of maneuvers to build off of, other planes will be easier to learn. Then you will want to learn the strengths and weakness of each plane and use your planes strength against your enemies weakness.
To kill field guns you better off using A2G rockets at a greater distance or cannons on fast attack run buzzing ghe field.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Learning offline
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 06:51:58 PM »
Originally posted by zorstorer
Schatzi.....don't let em in on the Mk1 secret :D

LoL, dont worry, I wont. Theres too many of them as it is already. Im f**** scared of those Hurris!!!!!! :D
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Ast

• Zinc Member
Learning offline
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 07:39:09 PM »
Originally posted by fuzeman
While your grandfathr flew them I bet he didn't start off in them. Some planes are better than other to learn the basics in. Once you have a foundation of maneuvers to build off of, other planes will be easier to learn. Then you will want to learn the strengths and weakness of each plane and use your planes strength against your enemies weakness.
To kill field guns you better off using A2G rockets at a greater distance or cannons on fast attack run buzzing ghe field.
Fuze, my grandfather did not start off in them, but I have a book of things he wrote, notes during the war. Basic strategies he had, things he did. I know it's not what he started with, but that was his love, the P-38. I will do what it takes to learn the plane. I have been flying for about a week and a half, and played FS9 for a long time. I still haven't figured out how to trim correctly but I looked at a great website(Netaces) and am learning! I am right now just sticking to the P-38J, I will learn to fly it correctly! =) I'm open to any advice but I refuse to not learn to fly the plane that my grandfather flew ! =) Any advice is amazing! You guys are great. Currently I'm learning energy management with the Spit 5. I know that it's not the perfect plane, the 38, but if I learn the basis on other planes, and keep trying I can become good, yes?

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
Learning offline
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 07:49:40 PM »
Yup, practice is the best tool. I will say that practicing with other players is a nessicity though. Once you hop online it'll be like starting over again. And I don't think Fuze was trying to push you away from the 38, it's just not the easiest bird to learn right off the bat. Flying the spit5 is a very good idea and an ideal beginner ride. Learn the basics in it, get a feel for the game(this alone will probably take you months). Then switch over to the 38 and start learning that. But like I said, the best move you can do is to get online ASAP. If you have any internet connect you can fly H2H arenas for free until you can get into the main arena. To play H2H, when you bring up the game screen instead of clicking offline, click H2H or head to head, I forget which one it says. You'll then see "rooms" that are open for you to play in. You'll be playing with actually players and it's a completely free service provided by HTC. No info is asked for except maybe your name. If you like that aspect, then consider making the jump to the main arenas that you have to pay for. The draw back of H2H is it only allows 8 players max while the main arena offers up to 750.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Ast

• Zinc Member
Learning offline
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 07:55:10 PM »
Originally posted by SuperDud
Yup, practice is the best tool. I will say that practicing with other players is a nessicity though. Once you hop online it'll be like starting over again. And I don't think Fuze was trying to push you away from the 38, it's just not the easiest bird to learn right off the bat. Flying the spit5 is a very good idea and an ideal beginner ride. Learn the basics in it, get a feel for the game(this alone will probably take you months). Then switch over to the 38 and start learning that. But like I said, the best move you can do is to get online ASAP. If you have any internet connect you can fly H2H arenas for free until you can get into the main arena. To play H2H, when you bring up the game screen instead of clicking offline, click H2H or head to head, I forget which one it says. You'll then see "rooms" that are open for you to play in. You'll be playing with actually players and it's a completely free service provided by HTC. No info is asked for except maybe your name. If you like that aspect, then consider making the jump to the main arenas that you have to pay for. The draw back of H2H is it only allows 8 players max while the main arena offers up to 750.
Okay, will do tomorrow when my girlfriend goes home. =D I will subscribe tomorrow as well. I didn't mean it to come off sounding like I don't want to not fly other playnes, it came out wrong! Fuze I swear I didn't mean it like that bud! =D And I'll get H2H tomorrow or so, I love this game, and the people! I am going to start off with flying the Spit 5 to learn the basis over at netaces. with Turning and E-management. I want to learn BnZ with the P51, as I heard it was good to learn that on. If you have any other advice on what planes to use to learn BCM such as energy tactics and BnZ, ect. Please tell me . =)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 08:06:07 PM by Ast »

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Learning offline
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 08:21:09 PM »
Welcome to Aces High..... you'll never go back now !

The 38 is a great plane... I fly for the 475th FG Satan's Angels. The name was taken from the real squadron in honor of them. Most of us fly the 38, not that we have to, we just love too!

The advice above is good. Spits and ponies are best to learn in as they are the easiest to handle and mistakes are easy to recover from. Once ya get the basics down check out the other planes. H2H is ok,  just remember that who ever is hosting the arena your flying in governs the arena. Some mess with lethality, fuel burn and so on. Don't judge your experiances solely on those arenas. Once you do log in to the HTC servers spend time in the Training Area (TA). There are a lot of people on the training corps that are very willing to help out, from learning to use the notebook to advanced ACM's. Practice is what you'll being doing for the next few months no matter which arena your flying in. Learning how to fly and fight is not an easy thing to do, but you'll never forget your first real kill that you worked for! You will get shot down A LOT !! don't get discouraged as it happens to everyone, grab another plane and have at it again.

....and if you want to fly with some of the best "virtual" P-38's pilots around, come to the Rooks and wing with us!

Again, Welcome to the addiction !!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 08:25:16 PM by The Fugitive »

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Learning offline
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 08:31:51 PM »
by the way AST, who did your grandfather fly with, squadron and such. A few of the guys I fly with are real big into the history of the 38 and her pilots.

Offline Ast

• Zinc Member
Learning offline
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 12:43:34 AM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive
by the way AST, who did your grandfather fly with, squadron and such. A few of the guys I fly with are real big into the history of the 38 and her pilots.
44th Fighter Squadron, 18th Fighter group, Vampire Squadron, they flew both the 38J and the 40 IIRC.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Learning offline
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 06:59:30 AM »
Ast, I'd be more than happy to show you as much as I know... I kick around in the P38 as much as I can.

It is all about attitude, a good attitude can go a LONG way in AH, it provokes healthy interaction with other flyers and keeps the game fresh.

Look me up, I'll be up... keep in mind, spending some time with someone is alot more effective than getting shotdown in the regular arena.

It is the difference of having a 20 second dogfight in the regular arena, to fighting for 30 minutes with 20 seconds of a break inbetween.

The guys in the regular arena aren't going to wait for you to learn, they are going to shoot you down the best way they know how (often via the head on merge).

Oh, and I strictly fly the J... it has compressibility problems but has slightly better low speed performance over the L which is a bit heavier (crossing the controls is usually enough to maintain normal flight).

Do yourself a favor and once ya get comfortable turn OFF tracers and stall limiter. These two items will create a brickwall on skill advancement and will quickly become a crutch.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 07:02:47 AM by Delirium »
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Ast

• Zinc Member
Learning offline
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 01:13:27 PM »
Delirium, I already have those both off. Today I wanted to see something so I took my J up, and flew wing to wing with one of the L's going around my airbase, for about half an hour I did this, keeping steady with him. Eventually I stalled, turned the left engine off, ruddered and caught it back. First time for stall recovery for me! So far I've turned off my tracers, my stall warning and my auto-takeoff.(I went to the MA once, was told "POWER POWER POWER POWER OUT! NOW NOW!" and was auto-taking off and didn't understand it. I will be on today to fly with ya'll! Hope my first impression wasn't a bad one, I'm on painkillers and sometimes it makes me say things that don't make much sense! (I messed up my ankle real bad!).

To the 475th, Hades brings the death from above! (Yes, I know what the 475 is, and I know the 431st.)

Well, won't be able to jump on til later as my free trial ran out!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 02:11:21 PM by Ast »