Author Topic: VF-17 Re-forming and re-cruiting!  (Read 2191 times)

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
VF-17 Re-forming and re-cruiting!
« on: January 25, 2006, 02:22:55 AM »
VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers" is a squad with a long history, both in Air Warrior and here in Aces High.  As things in the game slowed down and vets began to retire for all their various reasons, we have slowly been whittled away until there are almost none left.  Of the two of us remaining active, myself and Reschke (the CO), only I have been active at all for the last several months, due to many RL issues.  

As a result, I will be assuming CO duties while Reschke gets the rest of his life in order, and the first thing that needs to be done is to infuse some new blood into the ranks.  I'm proud to fly the Jolly Roger on my plane, but I cant hold it up alone.  

VF-17 is currently, and will remain, an active squad in both the AvA and MA arenas.  Main focus will be on the AvA.  Discussions are popping up on the restoration of the AvA "squad night" and I will rearrange my RL responsibilities to make myself available for as much of this as possible.  If the squad grows enough, we may also consider joining the Friday night squad ops again.  Its all going to depend on numbers and what the squad wants to see happen.

Remember this is not just a new squad forming.  There's alot of history to live up to here.  I want people who want to be part of the story of this squad, and help write the new chapters.  

I look forward to hearing from you.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 08:33:02 AM »
Just to help a few of you who are wondering...This is with my blessing. At the moment I haven't had a chance to re-arrange the permissions online but will get that done soon.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 03:10:19 PM »
To provide a background on the real squadron .............

Fighting Squadron 17 was formed in Norfolk, Virginia on 1 January 1943, and selected to fly the new Vought F4U-1 Corsair, a gull-winged fighter built around a powerful Pratt-Whitney 18 cylinder radial engine.

VF-17 was assigned to USS Bunker Hill (CV-17), but landing problems caused the Navy to question the Corsair’s carrier-worthiness. The Jolly Rogers worked closely with Vought engineers to successfully modify the F4U, rather than switch to the F6F Hellcat.

In October 1943, VF-17 was based on New Georgia in the Solomon Islands, where it first flew F4Us in combat during the invasion of Bouganville. Squadron pilots shot down six Zeke fighters and damaged another six on the first day of the battle with the loss of only one Corsair.

During the Battle of the Solomon Sea in November 1943, VF-17 was credited with 18.5 confirmed kills and 7 damaged Japanese planes, with zero losses of their own aircraft..
The big push came in March 1944 when, aboard USS Hornet, the squadron took part in the invasion of Iwo Jima and Okinawa. In fighter sweeps from 18 March to 17 April 1945, the pilots of VF-17 downed 146.5 Japanese aircraft.

During its tour, the Jolly Rogers shot down 8 Japanese planes for every Corsair lost and produced twelve aces, more than any other navy squadron.

Offline RTSigma

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 11:54:54 AM »
What do you guys offer in terms of players that aren't good with the Corsair and several planes?

What do you think of younger players?

What do you guys offer as a whole?

Sigma of VF-17 JOLLY ROGERS

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 09:20:16 AM »
Good questions; I will try to answer them as quickly as possilble and with a fair amount of information without overloading you.

What do you guys offer in terms of players that aren't good with the Corsair and several planes?

When I first started VF-17 here my goal was to get a group together that was proficient in flying the Corsair variants and learning good wingman tactics. In the beginning we had a member who was solely responsible for getting guys into the loop and proficient enough to fly the squadron night ride with enough skill to begin learning their role in the team. I know it is SA2's hope and mine as well to see that rebuilt once again.

What do you think of younger players?

I don't have a problem with younger players as long as the player doesn't let his alligator mouth overload his hummingbird butt. In fact that is where this genre as a whole has to gather new players from in order to survive.

What do you guys offer as a whole?

At the moment not alot. I have to go back and think on the first time I brought VF-17 up in AH a couple of years ago. We were a close knit group that enjoyed flying together when possible. Hopefully we can get that going once again.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 09:25:00 AM by Reschke »
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 08:33:26 PM »
I back up Reschke's plans 100%.  This squad has always been about the Corsiar, and it will continue to be the primary focus.  

However, lets face facts.  In the AvA, we rarely see the Hog.  Matter of fact, only in the PTO maps will we even see USN planes at all.  So while we are going to continue to use the Corsair as our main MA ride and symbol, and everyone will check out in it, we will focus for now mainly on getting people who enjoy flying together and having fun.  

I'm not doing this because I want to be in charge of something.  Its much easier to just join an established group.  My free time is precious these days, and I'm making a commitment to free up as much of it as possible for this squad, if we can make it work.  Not just because of THIS squad, but because the AvA needs allied squads in general.  

So, that said........

Can you get a plane off the ground?  Talk to me.

Need training?  No problem.  Talk to me.  

Age is not so much an issue as maturity.  I'm interested in finding guys (or gals) that have at least 1 night a week they can commit to squad functions, preferably more.  Weekends are a bonus, but I know how valuable those are.  I'll be glad to work with anyone who needs it in the TA or wherever on anything from basic ACM to Formations to landing on a Carrier deck.  I'm not great at anything, but I'm acceptable at most things.  Biggest thing is to improve the quality of your time online by sharing it with people who enjoy doing this.  If its not fun, why are you here?

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 08:37:29 PM »
great to see an old and renound squad like this getting back in the skies!

best of luck to you fellows!

bat
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 10:15:22 AM »
Having just resubbed today after a screwy credit card fiasco on my end and not updating it. I am not looking forward to relearning the Corsair and flying it into a carrier deck. BUT seeing as I am the senior airman on duty in VF-17 I guess I need to be the one to work it out to teach the new guys.
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 11:20:33 AM »
Better you than me :lol

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 02:19:31 PM »
Any takers?
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 11:48:12 PM »
I used to fly with 323 deathrattlers back when ripsnort ran the squad I left AH for a few years here and recently returned I presently trying to help a young guy with a squad but he only has me in the squad and I think I could bring him over here (he is an ex marine).  Oh btw my handle back then was BigJim, but since I retired and left Vermont for Arizona I changed it to this one :). Drop me an e-mail if ur interested in an old Hog driver (PS I hated the perk idea so I left but decided to live it with now LOL).  E-mail is jharrison1943@cox.net:cool:
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2006, 10:47:50 AM »
email sent.
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Eldorado74

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2006, 02:43:14 AM »
Glad to hear that some of the old squads are still in the game. Have been away for awhile but am thinking of starting up again. Used to be CO of VF27 for awhile, was HiJacker back then, we flew the Hellcat and used to run missions with the Jolly Rogers quite alot. I think some of the old squad is still around, Slash I think is still flying maybe a few more, could be interested in flying some again, will look into it and watch the forums to see whats going on. Glad to see you are still on Rescke, will keep an eye on the forums!
                                                                      Eldorado74:cool:

Offline slimey_J

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2006, 11:00:20 AM »
How often do you guys fly? Every night, a few nights a week, etc?

How important are wingman/section tactics to the squad?

Thnx.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2006, 02:39:38 PM »
Hey HiJacker I remember you. Good to see you hanging out here again.

Slimey_J;

Wingman tactics are what we are trying to build our group up with again. They worked extremely well the last time we were all together and flying the F4U rides.

We haven't established a true squadron night that I know of simply because there are so few of us and we just fly together when we get a chance at the moment. BUT SA2 is the CO and I am sure that he can lay down some laws on that in the near future. At the moment there are only 5 of us and of that we have one new guy who has hooked up. The others are all old JR's from when I was running the squadron. I will look you up next time I am in the MA or AvA and perhaps we can get some flights in together.
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"