Author Topic: Advice for newb?  (Read 962 times)

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Advice for newb?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2006, 10:24:12 AM »
Marvelous, that sounds like a plan. Remember this, the learning curve is kinda a steep and take/landings are very basic to the game at hand. The more stick time you get the better you get. A little one on one training also goes a long way. The trip to being proficient at this game is a long one but the rewards of playing in this fast paced, 3D environment sure are great!!! There are lotsa folks in here playing from all over the world. Many are members of squads. You can expect see 500+ folks flying in the Main Arena (MA) on any given night. Divide that by three (countries) with every plane you see as being a living human being behind the stick (ala Chuck Yeagars) and you'll find yourself engaging in a completely different fight everytime you say to yourself "FIGHTS ON!" No AI here!

We'll see ya when you come aboard! :)

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
Re: Advice for newb?
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2006, 05:14:42 PM »
Originally posted by Marvelous
Example: seems like any craft I fly it wants to dive to the right.

This is not only due to your stick settings... sure it could be a uncalibrated stick.. BUT...

Since we are talking about combustion engines and not jet engines here the plane is affected by the engines torque.

The torque will actually cause your plane to have tendencies to "roll" either left or right depending on the rotation direction of the prop.

You do notice this a little bit in level flight. But you will notice it even more if you are doing a slow turn at low throttle and then throttle up quickly. This will cause you to loose controll of your plane and your plane to "flop" in the direction of the torque.

This is very important to know because if you are flying slowly and turning you might get near a stall and want to throttle up... be gentle on the throttle in this case... so you dont put your self into the ground... this is especially important on planes with big engines.

Tex

Offline Flit

• Silver Member
Advice for newb?
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2006, 09:01:05 PM »
Originally posted by RTR
Hi Marvelous, welcome to Aces High.

from the clip board (press escape to get there), click on set up ----> preferences-----> flight.  Put an X in the auto combat trim and auto take off boxes for the time being. Auto combat trim will help you to keep the aircrfat in coordinated flight. Auto take off will get you airborne the easiest.

When using auto take off just push the throttle forward, the aircraft will do the rest for you, until you input a stick movement, then it will disengage and you are in total control.

Auto combat trim will alleviate some of the work you need to do in regards to trimming your aircraft.

I don't recommend using stall limiter. It is a crutch and will not help you out later on.

As for rolling down and to the right, it is  trimable, but auto trim should correct it for you. Also, engine torque is a factor in most of the aircraft here, and will impart a rolling tendency. This is why when you takeoff or land the aircraft wants to swerve one way or the other. Some have more sever torque related  issues than others (depends on aircrfat type).

I wouldn't pop into the Training arena unless you wnat to start your free two week trial right away. As soon as you log into the arena, your trial will start. If you do wish to start your trial, by all means get into the training arena, there is usually lots of help there.

If you see me in any of the arena's and want some help, just give a yell. Always willing to help feed the new addiction;)  (ingame handle same as here)

Cheers, and once again

welcome to AH!

RTR

All that and map a hat for your trim.
 I find myself constantly playing with the trim in a fight
X is auto level (good for a "instant trim" )
Alt x is auto-climb. which when used in conjunction with the above (auto -takeoff) it makes it easy to get a beer.:aok

Offline daMIG

• Copper Member
FTR Map trim hat
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2006, 11:23:06 PM »
hmmmm, I am NOT thinking outside the box... what a great idea. nose up, nose dn roll rt roll lft.....

I am still trying to sort that one out on new config of stick.... what do you suggest for joystick, greatest importance for instant access while fiting... then for the left hand,

Marvelous, Welcome.... You have met a some of the best trainers in the game. Great community... and no gnomes, not that gnomes are a bad thing... lol

lots of help... and a little hazing, (hint, alt - f4 is not TURBO-Power) ....it is, after all, internet and there are a few knuckelheads.. :-)