Author Topic: San Francisco Bay Area AH gun shooting day!  (Read 3963 times)

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
San Francisco Bay Area AH gun shooting day!
« Reply #90 on: February 08, 2006, 02:11:12 PM »
Originally posted by mietla
Cool. Bring it with you.

BTW, Grunherz and I are planning to create a new web site "Bayarea AH Shooting Club" or something to this effect. I'll try to do it today and when it's ready let's move this thread over there.

Since I'm pretty sure that this is not a one time deal, and we'll be doing it over and over, I'm planning to make it permanent. All the events will be documented there.

Awsome! I would love to have a group to go shoot with on a regular basis. Hell we could even have a little 100 yard compition!

Offline Makarov9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org/
« Reply #91 on: February 08, 2006, 02:17:58 PM »
Great idea!

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: February 08, 2006, 11:02:12 PM »
I noticed today while driving on freeway little bright color signs advertising GunShow which will be this weekend….. I think it’s hold in Vallejo. I don’t know if this is too much for one day (probably is) but we can met there, and then after GunShow drive to the range….

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2006, 12:38:32 AM »
ok dudes, we have a new home. Go to...

http://www.northoltwing.com/shootingclub/phpBB2

...register and let's rock and roll

For now, I'm using the northoltwing.com domain. I'll get something appropriate tomorrow (any suggestions for a name of the domain are welcome).

The main page is missing for now, only the forum is available. I'll put some skeleton later tonight, but will have to wait for Ramzey to make it pretty.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2006, 01:24:57 AM »
Awesome mietla, thanks for setting the website up so quickly!

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2006, 02:02:25 AM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
Awsome! I would love to have a group to go shoot with on a regular basis. Hell we could even have a little 100 yard compition!

for pistols, right?

Qualifcation for the Vermont Militia in 1787 was 5 consecutive shots in 5", standing; in 5 minutes... at 200 yards with a flintlock.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2006, 09:19:52 AM »
I've added a skeleton front page, Ramzey will finish it hopefully over the weekend. Can't you swing it Ramzey?

http://www.northoltwing.com/shootingclub

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2006, 03:18:08 PM »
Originally posted by Hangtime
for pistols, right?

Qualifcation for the Vermont Militia in 1787 was 5 consecutive shots in 5", standing; in 5 minutes... at 200 yards with a flintlock.

Is that for reals? Got a source? 200 yards offhand with a big bellybutton gun is extremely difficult.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2006, 03:40:32 PM »
Yup. Source for the above is Boston's Gun Bible.

Just to satisfy myself that marksmanship of this level was routine for American Riflemen as far back as the revolutionary war I did a bit of digging. You may find this interesting:

To make sure that the message was loud and clear Washington ordered a spectacular demonstration of the abilities of his riflemen. With a huge crowd of spectators on hand Washington publically had his men fire at a seven inch diameter pole from 200 yards. The riflemen riddled the pole. Others fired at 250 yards. Some companies, at quick march, hit seven inch targets at 200 yards. By the middle of August there were 1400 riflemen facing the British in Boston. With their hunting shirts they stood out from the mass of soldiers as something elite.

Link: http://www.americanrevolution.org/riflemen.html

Data point: For the last 200 years there has been a steady decline in training and expectations of American Military Rifle Skills. Such suberb skills from bygone days were not only possible, they were considered normal.. and in truth, todays combat soldier with his rudemntairy marksmanship training and small caliber mouse gun carbine would be out-ranged and out-gunned by a company of Revolutionary War Riflemen.

These days, if it's beyond 100 yards it's considered 'mortar, artillery or 240/ma-duce territoy'. Pitiful.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2006, 04:06:55 PM »
Ye' gads.  I feel so... inadequate.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2006, 04:50:07 PM »
Originally posted by g00b
Ye' gads.  I feel so... inadequate.

LOL.. in those days those men's rifles were their most valuable & prized posessions, and accuracy and efficiency were instrumental in effectively putting food on the table as well as defense against brigands or indians.

'Necessity breeds efficiency and skill'... and since rifle skills are no longer rudementary requirements for survival in todays world, the 'handed down' knowlege and training from an early age in those skills went away long ago.

Regardless, with any rifle; exceptional accuracy and speed ONLY come with determined practice and experience.. lots of it. The more you shoot, the better you get. Simple, really. Just takes mounds of ammo and time. ;)

...at home, or abroad.

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2006, 06:00:32 PM »
OK, so now that I've discovered some outdoor ranges within a reasonable drive I'm ready to buy a rifle, as I don't want to put too many rounds through my 45-70.

I'm looking for a semi-auto in .223 or 7.62x39. The local shop carries the following.

http://www.kel-tec.com/su-16ca_rifle.htm

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?function=famid&famid=22

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=5806&return=Y

They also have some used SKS's and the like.

The kel-tec is cheap, light and takes 10 round mags stock. Takes AR15 20-30 round mags as well.

The Ruger seems better quality, nice wood, solid feel and is avilable in .223 or 7.62. Costs more and only accepts 5 rd mags.

I presume there's some cheap russian and chinese weapons that might work well. I don't want to spend a ton, but I do want something that will last for quite a while if properly cared for.

Any advice?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 06:06:49 PM by g00b »

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2006, 06:11:30 PM »
Originally posted by g00b

Any advice?

Tons. ;) Nothing on that list is worth a damn. They look kewl tho.

A former military weapon will out last anything made for the 'sportsmans' market. If you want a semi- auto that's magazine fed with the 'evil black rifle look' there is nothing better or more accurate in it's price range than a 'Sporterized' FAL. These are available from Century Arms, Enterprise Arms and DSA. California legal versions are available.

A bit pricier but very efficient at the designated task.. the M1 or M1A's.

If it's a bolt action rifle that'll shoot better than most riflemen and do it for the next 100 years or 10,000 rounds of ammo check out the M-39's at http://www.gunsnammo.com  NO FFL required, will ship direct to your door.

Cheers!

...at home, or abroad.

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2006, 06:24:12 PM »
I really don't want to spend more than about $600 maybe up to $800. Looks like the FAL goes for about $1500 and up.

This is just for fun at the range. I don't want a .22, if anyone made a .177 in semi-auto I would be interested as well.

I want a semi-auto in .223 or 7.62.

It has to be CA legal.

It has to accurate.

It has to be reliable.

10 rd mags are a plus.

It must be reasonably light.

I want a new gun or at the least a VERY nice used one.

I want some nice iron sights.

hmmm, what else.... I'm sure I'll think of something.

I really haven't seen anything other than the Kel-Tec SU-16CA and Ruger Mini-14 that fit the bill. But I'm open to options.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 06:43:11 PM by g00b »

Offline Makarov9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org/
« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2006, 08:47:10 PM »
g00b, I placed an order for an SU-16CA. They are hard to get right now. I've been waiting a few weeks with no word. If you see one, grab it. After a lot of research, it's the best buy for a .223, especially in CA. I would like to have an AR-15 but they are too dang neutered here in CA. If I want to make a loud boom I will shoot my Mauser or Mosin's. Oh, I have an SKS and it's fun to shoot, but 7.62x39 ammo is scarce right now.