Author Topic: The Euro -- How are you guys liking it?  (Read 1422 times)

Offline SageFIN

• Copper Member
The Euro -- How are you guys liking it?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2002, 11:42:00 AM »
I like the Euro. It is most useful and brings Europe closer together. It would have gotten a better start if none of the EU countries would have left out of the EMU. Especially UK would have made a big difference. However, I believe that in the long run all EU countries will also be Euro countries. The benefits are IMO much bigger than the cost of converting an economy to be Euro compatible. Only real "setback" is the loss of national currencys.

Take for example the Finnish people crying about the loss of our national money, who IMO are quite silly. The Finnish Mark was history the moment it entered the ERM. Now we just alter the physical representation and the nominal value (nimellisarvo? duh) of our currency a bit. The same has been done many times in the past but now when they happen to change the name of the currency too, everyone freaks out. I've never been much of a patriot and can't really see how anyone except collectors could find any real value in pieces of metal and cloth paper. My 0.02 €.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2002, 02:04:00 PM »
I'm glad we're not part of it... at the moment.

I'm fairly Europhile, but I have niggling doubts about any further integration. Europe is such disparate collection of countries with so many different cultures I'm not sure the 'Grand Plan' will ever work.

I distrust Prodi and the moves towards a Federal Superstate a la United States of Europe. I hate the bureacratic lunacy and waste and general 'Gravy Train' set-up within the EU.

I distrust the Franco-German alliance.

And who came up with the idea of including Eastern European countries in the Union? What has Britain got in common with Albania? I think the economic strength of France, Germany and the UK (the three countries which are the core of the EU) will be watered down by the huge economic problems suffered by such countries.

So basically, I think progress should be slow and centered on reform.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2002, 02:40:00 PM »
I'm glad we got it. We've been dealing in Euros for about a year now, and since we're doing a few contracts abroad... using the same currency can only help.

I've moved countries (& Currencies) often, so I don't mind...
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2002, 03:15:00 PM »
man, this 10e bill looks like some play money..
other which I can possibly think about it, would be money from some baltic country.

I hate them politicians  :(

SageFin,

im afraid sweden is within the EU's influence area.. how about canada?

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2002, 06:37:00 PM »
For you U.S. types, just think about an independent currency for each of your states. Intraeuropean commerce will be loads easier now and that will benefit us all....fiscal policy permitting
Nah, just think about a different language for each of your states.
That's a far bigger issue for Europe, but one they will never tackle.

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2002, 11:16:00 PM »
Dowding, Eastern European countries will only be allowed in, if they can match the same economical criterias as the rest of the member countries.
 I would be very suprised if the UK joins the Euro (or even further integrate into the EU), simply because the UK is way too nationalistic to do it, no matter how good the economic arguments might be for joining.
Heck..after having lived here for 8 years, I myself now consider 'Europe' something that starts across the channel  :).

Daff

P.S. Danmark, 'Field of the Danes'. Nothing to do with the currency  :) (They still use 'Kroner'(.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2002, 02:09:00 AM »
There's no sense in NOT having the Euro. The British pound, Danish and Swedish crown are tied to the Euro anyhow, and have been so for a good while.

Methinks if we had the Euro here, people would see how much they pay in tax and how much higher prices are here, and demand changes.

Have no experience with the Euro yet, so cannot say whether I like it or not  :).

Offline LtHans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2002, 05:23:00 AM »
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

You guys.  You sound like Americans.  We just got new paper money a year or two ago (done to stop easy conterfiting).  "It looks like play money" is the same thing we said when we got a look at our new bills.  The Dead President was offset to one side instead of centered, his picture was larger, and the Monument on the back was smaller.

Over all they looked too white.  Our money is supposed to be green, but the new ones are only a little green.

You'll get used to it in about 6 months.

Hans.

P.S.  I will like Euros.  I didn't like having to change my money every day when I travelled across Europe.  It was frankly a bit of culture shock as I am used to driving hundreds of miles from ocean to ocean and everybody speaks English, and the money is all the same.

That, and a U.S.E (United States of Europe) would kick the America off the top spot in no time.  Your moving towards it....doubt you'll ever get there though.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2002, 05:35:00 AM »
LThans,

At least it still has presidents and somewhat familiar outlook still.

These euro trash (tm) money doesn't have any identity, not to talk about those are non meaningless looking.
It feels and looks like some cheap receipt I can throw in the trashcan along with the others.

As biggest change, value changed in one day to almost 6 times higher (I doubt that happend in US when new money was put out)
I was yesterday to supermarket and prices had gone up by 0-20% in one day!!
Averaging at least 10%!
So much for the promises of prices not raising.. knew it.
prices did raise along the year and suddenly in one night it raises worth the last 3 years.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Fishu ]

Offline Dawvgrid

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2002, 06:25:00 AM »
Its the differencies among us,that makes life
colourfull.Im glad we havent got it yet,,but just wait in a few years we have,,,,,,,,,,,

. I will like Euros. I didn't like having to change my money every day when I travelled across Europe. It was frankly a bit of culture shock as I am used to driving hundreds of miles from ocean to ocean and everybody speaks English, and the money is all the same.

but that is whats make Europe,,Europe.And im sorry to say:thats  typical american:you having a hard time understand:that so many people,,can be so different,,in such a small space,,,,,,speaking so many different languages etc etc    ;) ,,,no offence(my own predudice against americans)

Offline vmfRazor

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2002, 06:46:00 AM »
:) I used to be in a UK squad called ACES in FA and those guys over there couldn't fathom that I could drive for 5 hours in a straight line and never leave my home state  :) well not a straight line but never turn back on myself.

I personally have no feelings ont his subject other than if this is a step towards 1 central govt. then I applaud it. Humanity has not evolved to a point this can be done fairly yet but in many many years hopefully it will. I know I'll never see it. But think how nice the world would be if everybody got along, there were no mare wars to be fought no more sensless killing. At this point it seems like nothing but a pipe dream. But these first steps are needed to make it a possibility in the years to come. Ok I am done rambling see ya in the virtual skies.

RazorDD

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2002, 10:32:00 AM »
Santa, The UK is not tied to the Euro. They left the EMU during the last recession and havent rejoined since.

Daff

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2002, 10:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by Dowding:
I'm glad we're not part of it... at the moment.

I'm fairly Europhile, but I have niggling doubts about any further integration. Europe is such disparate collection of countries with so many different cultures I'm not sure the 'Grand Plan' will ever work.

I distrust Prodi and the moves towards a Federal Superstate a la United States of Europe. I hate the bureacratic lunacy and waste and general 'Gravy Train' set-up within the EU.

I distrust the Franco-German alliance.

And who came up with the idea of including Eastern European countries in the Union? What has Britain got in common with Albania? I think the economic strength of France, Germany and the UK (the three countries which are the core of the EU) will be watered down by the huge economic problems suffered by such countries.

So basically, I think progress should be slow and centered on reform.

Dowding Buchanan   :)
I agree with you but still sounds funny coming from a young lib .. hope for you yet  :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Broes

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2002, 10:51:00 AM »
Personaly I am very happy with the Euro. I think economicly it will be a huge advantage and much more convenient, especialy if your going abroad.

And Fishu, if you think the Euro's look like monopoly money, ever seen US dollars? You can actually Xerox them and noone would see the difference.

Broes

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2002, 05:43:00 PM »
Razor,

One Central Government is the single worst idea the human race has ever come up with.  I hope you're still in high school.

ra