Author Topic: Guns, the other side  (Read 3637 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Guns, the other side
« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2000, 11:14:00 PM »
Rocket, Yeager and Toad,

This thread is too darn long. It seems to have collected a few folks who are very mistaken about human nature and the society that they don't live in. They look in and since they see something they don't understand, they fear it. Their response is to shun or try to ban it instead of facing their own subjective fears. They would rather have a feel good do nothing quick fix instead of realising that people who prey on other people are the problem. They think that by "getting rid of guns" that the society will magically transform itself. It frankly isn't going to happen. Instead of living their own lives, being responsible for themselves they feel they have the "right" to tell others how to live. They do not understand, they do not want to understand and will not be dissuaded from their position.

Further posting on this issue is a waste of time and taking way too much time away from playing AH.

Igloo just do me a big favor, stay up there in Canada. Worry about your own society and be responsible for your own actions. I for one am very happy you are not a citizen and have no say in American politics. You are close to this country physically but are miles ansd miles away from understanding this country and the concept of freedom of choice.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Igloo

Guns, the other side
« Reply #106 on: October 03, 2000, 09:09:00 AM »
What I find absolutly halarious is that americans still believe they are the only free country in the world with a constitution.  Read a book please.

I'm not saying that banning guns will fix your society.  I said putting restrictions on them will serve as a step in the right direction.  I would happily not invlove myself in american politcs and culture, but I don't have a choice because it is constantly shoved down our throat.  

When you understand your own constitution, you will not make such obviously ignorant (that means uneducated) remarks like implying your country is the only one in the world with the freedom of choice.  Complete arrogance is one thing the world is sick of when it comes to americans, and you're proving that point perfectly. The American colonies were not "freed".  The British did not hold you captive, you were already FREE, you already had rights as a citizen of the British Empire.  All the revolution did was free you from British taxes and give you soverenty, so get off the freedom kick.

Arrogance without education is a dangerous combination that has been manifested dozens of times in these past two years in your "utopian" country.  Don't just take my word for it, check in on CNN every other week to see a school shooting.  Case in point - period.

Time to wake up, pop that bubble and join the 21st century with the rest of the free world.  There is no need for a citizens of a 1st world country to stock pile guns.  The USA is the ONLY 1st world country in the world to have such flimsy regulations relating to guns.  "Coincidently" the USA is also the most crime ridden 1st world nation on this planet.  Is this connection a mere coincidence?

------------------
Squadron Leader, Igloo.
C/O RCAF 411 Squadron - County of York

"Problems cannot be solved with the same awareness that created them" - Albert Einstein[/i]

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Guns, the other side
« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2000, 01:09:00 PM »

Originally posted by Igloo:
I would happily not invlove myself in american politcs and culture, but I don't have a choice because it is constantly shoved down our throat....

Complete arrogance is one thing the world is sick of when it comes to americans,

Well, you guys do have on/off switches and channel selection devices on your radios and TV's don't you?  

How do you figure that you "don't have a choice?" Or is that that you don't WANT choice?   Just YOUR way?

Also, I wonder if it's our complete arrogance or just the fact that we don't agree with the "life as a sheep is GREAT!" philosophy.

Or maybe it's the complete arrogance of not caring what the busybody neighbors think that bothers you so much.  

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Guns, the other side
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2000, 03:19:00 AM »
Or maybe, Toad, it is your arrogance talking when you call anyone country that doesn't supprort guns for a country of "sheep".

That's rich coming from the Christian nation of the US, God's own country.

BAAAAAAAH. BAAAAAAH.    

Heheheh. Gotta live up to my nick, Satan Claus  

Note: this is a troll. No, not one of them ugly things the Norwegians like to hump, but a different troll. If this is offensive to you, you probably need to be exposed mre to life and the *really* offensive things out there. Now go away. Thank you.

------------------
StSanta
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

[This message has been edited by StSanta (edited 10-05-2000).]

Igloo

Guns, the other side
« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2000, 11:06:00 AM »
Toad, we really couldn't care what americans think about Canada.  But funniest, and saddest part about it all, is that 50% of americans think the capital of Canada is Toronto.  Education within your own borders and nothing more.  That's what is annoying.

------------------
Squadron Leader, Igloo.
C/O RCAF 411 Squadron - County of York

"Problems cannot be solved with the same awareness that created them" - Albert Einstein[/i]

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Guns, the other side
« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2000, 01:29:00 PM »

Originally posted by leonid:
  • The presence of a gun in the home triples the risk of homicide in the home.
  • The presence of a gun in the home increases the risk of suicide fivefold.
  • [/b]
I haven't read this entire thread, but this in particular jumped at me.

I've had guns all my life.  My friends have had guns all thier lives.  None of our guns have been used in a homicide in the home.  I'd love to see how they came by this statistic, as it sounds awfully fishy and like alot of anti-gun propaganda.

The risk of suicide is increased 5 times huh?
roadkillE
How that statistic should read is:
When someone is suicidal, if there is a gun in the house they are 5times more likely to use the gun than another means (ie: razor blades/pills).  I've never felt the urge to kill myself because I had a gun in my house.  I seriously doubt anyone else has felt the urge to kill themselves just because a gun is in the house.

I really love how anti-gun advocates twist numbers around to suit themselves.

Now quit wasting time and go fix traffic deaths, they kill more than guns do.

Like Rip said, fix society first, not the inanimate objects people use.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Guns, the other side
« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2000, 09:54:00 PM »

Originally posted by StSanta:
Or maybe, Toad, it is your arrogance talking when you call anyone country that doesn't supprort guns for a country of "sheep".

Nah, guns aren't my criteria for determining a "country of sheep".

It's whether or not the people allow their government to run their lives, do their thinking for them and redistribute most of their income.

Was that a Danish "baaah" I just heard up there?

Igloo, canadians "really couldn't care what Americans think about canada?

Then we really are exactly alike, only mirror reversed! Wow!

I've never seen the stats on where Americans think the capital of canada is located, but I'm sure you can provide them.

But, hey, if our standards of education annoy you......why don't you just quit worrying about us? We seem to be getting along just fine without your leadership and worry anyhow. No point in getting all annoyed, is there?

I assure you, we don't worry about canadians. Even when they flock down to Florida and act like rude touristas.  

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!