Author Topic: Another Flight sim in the works?  (Read 4146 times)

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
Another Flight sim in the works?
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2006, 03:55:36 PM »
Good to see some familiar faces again  

AH2 is packed every night because it is popular. No way to argue with that.  There is so much to do in there. You can turn fight, BnZ, Buff, and even take a boat ride.  Adding a WWI sim in another arena would attrack another 100 to 200 pilots every night. Nothing wrong with more revenue.  :)

Thanks,
Mano
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline capera

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2006, 07:54:14 PM »
Originally posted by Mano
Good to see some familiar faces again  

AH2 is packed every night because it is popular. No way to argue with that.  There is so much to do in there. You can turn fight, BnZ, Buff, and even take a boat ride.  Adding a WWI sim in another arena would attrack another 100 to 200 pilots every night. Nothing wrong with more revenue.  :)

Thanks,
Mano

Could not agree more. Now all we need to do is convince Hitech.  :aok

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2006, 02:31:49 AM »
ww1 is a furballers dream... bases are always close, planes leave ground nearly ready to fight with anyone else. no real alt monkeys... balloons to pop... lots of .30 cal madness!
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2006, 04:04:17 AM »
I'd like to see some other era of aerial combat, be it WWI or Vietnam. I like them all, each of them has his own peculiar way of combat, I'd like to try them all.

Unfortunately, I think we'll have to search for other sims... Targetware has good WWI and Korea environment and they planned to make a Vietnam add on, but it seems it's dead now... maybe you can bring it back to life, Enduro? :)

Poo, you make things too easy with modern combat planes... try some good sim like Falcon or Lomac and you'll see it's not that easy.... ;)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 04:06:19 AM by Gianlupo »
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2006, 08:34:21 AM »
Originally posted by Morpheus
They need to model an F-14B and perk it at 30,000 perks. :)

So only you and levi get jets? I call "no fair" :furious

:t

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2006, 10:36:00 AM »
Man o man, I remember those duels in AW WWI, like they were yesterday! That was a very cool arena, I thought. Completely different handling characteristics and somewhat different tactics involved than in the WWII arena.

sigh....those were sure fun times. The crowd that flew there were different, too.

Offline MotleyCH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2006, 10:52:17 AM »
I remember shooting down a F-86 in a Sopwith Camel:t :rofl

I can't remember why the the arena was setup like that, but it was fun!

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2006, 10:53:13 AM »
Originally posted by Pooface
i agree, i think it is more enjoyabl when you really need to work for kills. making radar and heat seeking stuff do it for you is a little lame.

i would however LOVE to see a ww1 flight sim

It's obvious to me you guys have very little idea of how effective the
early air-air missiles were.  Heck the early AIM-7 Sparrows were nicknamed
"The Great White Hope", and the early Aim-9 Sidewinders could be
distracted by the sun for pete's sake.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2006, 10:58:00 AM »
They were so effective that they had to develop a 20mm gun pod for the F-4, which was itself a spray-and-pray temporary solution.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2006, 01:01:11 PM »
I would KILL for an up-to-date sim using todays graphics that is dedicated to the F-14B like falcon4 a/f is dedicated to the F-16. KILL i say.

I know it has posible to create an AI rio. You could, while flying from the front seat, feed the AI rio commands, most of which could be set up as macros.

I dont buy this crap lomac is feeding the public about two seat planes and how it wouldnt be cost effective to add and code one into fully flyable. grrrr I need it!

Black shark will most likely keep me from getting any sleep for a couple of weeks. But they better do a US chopper. The little commies.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2006, 02:23:21 PM »
Originally posted by Morpheus
I would KILL for an up-to-date sim using todays graphics that is dedicated to the F-14B like falcon4 a/f is dedicated to the F-16. KILL i say.

I know it has posible to create an AI rio. You could, while flying from the front seat, feed the AI rio commands, most of which could be set up as macros.

I dont buy this crap lomac is feeding the public about two seat planes and how it wouldnt be cost effective to add and code one into fully flyable. grrrr I need it!

Black shark will most likely keep me from getting any sleep for a couple of weeks. But they better do a US chopper. The little commies.

Testing Black Shark now, the clickable cockpit is INSANE. I'll be able to fly the real deal when I get this thing thing figured out. I think, there may be an f-16 in it too :) Still no true F-14 though you can mod the sim to fly it with an F-15 flight model and cockpit.

Offline Grendel

• Silver Member
      • http://www.compart.fi/icebreakers
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2006, 04:07:40 PM »
I fail to see any point on making an online WW1 simulation.

Been there, done that, they all failed.
There was a WW1 arena and planes for already Air Warrior. Those arenas were primarily empty.
Red Baron 3D did somewhat ok for some time. But flopped financially.
Dawn of Aces (I/II/III) were financial failures. After the initial phase there were only a couple dozen people playing those actively.

A World War I online sim sounds nice, but in the end people don't pay for it. Therefore there's little sense in making one.

Fly Richthofen's Skies if you want WW1 online multiplayer sim. It's there, free. And because it is being run as a community project, not as commercial product, it will be developed and supported.
http://www.richthofens-skies.com/

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2006, 04:22:48 PM »
You are wrong about that. For starters, AW simply had a few WW1 a/c modelled as an add on, not as a stand alone sim, secondly, Warbirds dropped any serious development (read $ money) from its setup, and so DoA never got the backing it deserved.

Thats like saying because AW had a F-86 and MiG-15 that they tried a Korean war sim.

Nobody has yet come out with a stand alone WW1 sim, designed that way from the ground up, and backed by some hard cash. They have all been player developed, add-ons, or boxed sims like Red Baron, converted to be online games. DoA was the closest, and they didnt follow through with it, after IEN decided to stop developing and just sit there and rake in the money (worked for awhile, but that strategy is a doomed one long term).

I beleive a WW1 sim will come out at some point, and it will be popular. My guess is it will come from Europe, since N. American developers cant seem to get intererested in in anything nowdays except PS2 and XBOX games for 9 year olds.

"I hate that game my planey keeps spinning mommy". "Try Supertrack Need For Speed 2 sweety, your sister likes it"... God help us.

As for Jet Sims, they have their place, but are hamstrung by this notion that if they arent about the F-22 Raptor or JSF that they wont get attention.

Its all very sad, so much we could have, but that just is not pursued. I hear Star Wars "Empire At War" has a Death Star though? kewl.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 04:30:24 PM by Squire »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2006, 03:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by g00b
Testing Black Shark now, the clickable cockpit is INSANE. I'll be able to fly the real deal when I get this thing thing figured out. I think, there may be an f-16 in it too :) Still no true F-14 though you can mod the sim to fly it with an F-15 flight model and cockpit.

PMMMMMMMMMMMM me PAAAAAAALLLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2006, 12:50:09 PM »
Good post Squire........you seem to understand what happened to the WWI sims really well. As Capera posted.......maybe we can convince HiTech to make a WWI sim from the ground up. RS is a good sim, very real indeed, but the learning curve is so steep, many new players give up right away.

C ya up there,
Mano :aok
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)