Author Topic: Another Flight sim in the works?  (Read 4145 times)

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
Another Flight sim in the works?
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2006, 01:28:41 PM »
Id love to see a WW1 version of AH and a Korea one as well... but nothing later then that because then its all electronics and no flying...

WW1 is a great setup but there is a problem with it and that is economy. Its hard to get economy out of a WW1 sim simply because its a small niche genre with not many followers.

I think there are two reasons that WW1 aint as popular as WW2.

First of all its the simple fact that its much harder to fly WW1. Requiring more skill means less dweebs which means less dough for HTC...

Second is that WW2 gets much more exposure via history books (I think all countries have much bigger history lesson focus in school on WW2 then WW1), media (film, games, tv, history channel) focus much more on WW2 then WW1. WW2 in the air is portraid more as  "war of the machines" while WW1 is portraid more as "war of the aces". When we grow up the machines are much more facinating. WW2 has the cool machines, its got the muscle cars of the skies. We grow up wanting to fly the machines which we read about, see in movies and see on tv. I think this is much more common then growing up and wanting to fly against the Red Baron, Blue Max and the other aces of WW1.

Tex

Offline CV_ToMCaT_CO

• Zinc Member
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2006, 04:49:29 PM »
I believe you are mistaken, it was not HTC that made DOA but its counterpart IENT that still markets DOA and is still perfectly playable for a fee. if you want to try your hand at a FREE WW I Simulator I recomend you try going to  http://www.targetware.net and grabing the RS mod for TW. I saw a few AH players refering to RS. so if your wondering about that then the link provided will shine more light on that topic. Also note that DOA is found on http://www.ient.com

Offline Grendel

• Silver Member
      • http://www.compart.fi/icebreakers
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2006, 05:10:28 PM »
Originally posted by Squire

Nobody has yet come out with a stand alone WW1 sim, designed that way from the ground up, and backed by some hard cash.

Wrong. For example Flying Circus was an attempt to make a online WW1 sim from the grounds up. It was good, enjoyable and died the moment the developers tried to charge money for it.

Red Baron 3D was excellent WW1 online sim as well, and it did run at the Sierra Network for a long time. Yet, it died as well.

On more recent grounds, there was a fantastic offline-WW1 sim being done by a small US studio, can't remember its name now, my notes are at the office. I think it died off last year.

Currently Gennadich studio is making a WW1 sim called Knights of the Sky, and it looks nice. But offline, primarily.

But anyway, there's been serious attempts on online WW1 sims, and those have failed. Even Dawn of Aces, when it was fresh and well supported, with steady development, died early death when players moved back to WW2 arenas. It still exists, in its 3rd major version, or is it Dawn of Aces 2006 these days. Yet, it is tiny niche and doesn't attract any meaningful number of pilots.

WW1 online sims just don't have enough sex appeal for any longer periods, and developing one is a good way to waste money.

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2006, 05:32:17 PM »
"For example Flying Circus was an attempt"

Sure, on a shoestring budget maybe.

I said hard cash, meaning some serious money, not a boxed conversion like RB3D or a player made sim turned online, or a few planes tacked on to the end of a WW2 sim ala AW.

Could be your right and its not a market thats workable, but I wish somebody would at least come out with a good boxed sim if nothing else. I will settle for that. Too bad really, WW1 is very challenging and interesting, imho.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 05:34:51 PM by Squire »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2006, 06:05:55 PM »
Originally posted by CV_ToMCaT_CO
I believe you are mistaken, it was not HTC that made DOA but its counterpart IENT  

Technically, you are correct. In point of fact, the people that created DOA are now HTC. IENT was their parent company at the time.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Deth7

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.pigstompers.net
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2006, 08:01:09 PM »
Jets with air brakes rule!!!!   Guns Guns Guns        :D
EA Still Blows...AOL Still Sux

Offline RAIDER14

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2006, 10:17:07 PM »
new aces high game based on around Desert storm and the current conflict?

Title example
ACES HIGH : Desert Assualt

ACES HIGH : Desert Conflict

:aok

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2006, 10:52:08 PM »
How about some WWI planes in the DA so that people can at least duel in them. Seems like an easy way to address this question. I would certainly be for it.

Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2006, 01:32:06 AM »
Originally posted by MajWoody
How about some WWI planes in the DA so that people can at least duel in them. Seems like an easy way to address this question. I would certainly be for it.

With the current DA (killshooter) it would take about 30 min to get to a fight...

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2006, 05:08:29 AM »
Seem's to me that a WWI planeset would do fine in a Combat Tour style environment.... a player-based design community would surely take care of the planeset.

Tumor
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2006, 06:00:14 AM »
Originally posted by Deth7
Jets with air brakes rule!!!!   Guns Guns Guns        :D

Your MiG suxxors, my Sabre rools U!!!111 :)

culero
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2006, 07:47:55 AM »
Originally posted by RAIDER14
new aces high game based on around Desert storm and the current conflict?

Title example
ACES HIGH : Desert Assualt

ACES HIGH : Desert Conflict

:aok

Seeing at how many flying targets the USAF shoots down... this one will be for building battlers only!

No thanks.
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline RAIDER14

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2006, 08:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by Saintaw
Seeing at how many flying targets the USAF shoots down... this one will be for building battlers only!

No thanks.

if they based it around the first gulf war there would be aerial dogfights

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2006, 10:33:57 AM »
I think most of those Air to Air kills were of aircraft running to Iran.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2006, 10:39:41 AM »
Oh pee 51s... I see :D
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.