Author Topic: I note a major potential whinning issue...  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
I note a major potential whinning issue...
« on: December 18, 2000, 05:41:00 PM »

This is taken from the 1.05 Perk system description:

The perk system is a way for us to introduce some interesting but otherwise unbalancing planes on a limited basis but the benefits go deeper than that.  Perk planes (and vehicles) would be things like Me 262s, Ta 152s, Tempests, B-29s, Ar 234s, Tiger IIs, etc.

The first time somebody losses a perk Tiger II to an opportunistic bomb dropped from a lowly A6M5b there will be such a whine as the world has rarely heard.

The reason:

The Tiger II, while very difficult to kill with a tank or by strafing with cannon and rockets, will be very, Very vulnerable to bombs.  In this circumstance it matters little whether you are flying a Spitfire MkXIV or an A6M5b.

HTC,
How will scoring reflect this kind of situation.  Will this be a bonanza of easy points for the lucky Zero pilot or will the ease with which any aircraft can destroy tanks using bombs be taken into account?

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2000, 05:55:00 PM »
Tempest perked .. ayayayayayayaayy  
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2000, 06:07:00 PM »
Karnak.. yah just bought a new Mercedes. Yah worked hard for it, it cost you dearly; the wife's pissed cause the washers busted and she needs new shoes.. but you got yer Mercedes.

Yer sittin at the traffic light 1/2 block from home and some moron in a Hundai rear-ends you. Or you come outta the gas station office having paid fer yer first tank of gas to discover some dickweed with a landscape truck on the other side of the island has a bonfire goin, and yer new 'cedes is TOAST. Or yer wife; in a fit of insanity takes it shopping... and gets it 'carted' by every loose shopping cart in the lot.

Only 'safe' place to keep it is in the garage.. or is it...... seems the dealersip has yer address; and as a result, so do the car theives...

Life sucks. toejam happens.. and happens all de time. Murphy Lives! Long Live Murphy!

Hang

[This message has been edited by Hangtime (edited 12-18-2000).]
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2000, 06:34:00 PM »
That may be one whine source, but I found a larger one. Notice that ENY column in the hangar? That'll tell you which plane will be most profitable to shoot down. Figure since the criers say C-hogs and Nikis are all people fly, you can figure out which plane to hunt. This can get very bad. If you're out in an F6F, and a squad is out in  Spit Vs, they'll hunt your bellybutton down for perk points. Removing this ENY entry would help, since you'd have to take the time to figure out which planes to hunt in a given ride.

A theoretical example:

Axis vs Allies arena comes into existance. With this ENY entry you can calculate how many perk points you'll get per kill of a Mudstain in your 109 F4. So now every Mudstain driver is a marked target, constantly hunted by inferior 109 F4s because they are worth hella perk points dead. Mudstain drivers (Hangtime, etc...) now scream bloody murder about being hunted just for driving their fav plane. The reverse is also true; some guy flying a 190-D9 might end up getting hunted down by a gaggle of Spit Vs.

Creates utter chaos. It may not happen often, but it WILL happen. Every guy in an early war plane will have an easy time figuring out who to hunt for perk points. Same goes, to a lesser extent, for the vehicles. Someone who finally got enough points to drive his beloved Panther G tank would get his bellybutton hunted down by swarms of Panzer IIIs. Why? He's worth about 6 perk points dead to them. Granted, you'll see people finally banding together for protection. But you'll also see a sh^tload of kill-stealing; you got the wing of that Ta-152, but some other guy will blow it to bits, steal the kill, for a chance at perk points.

This is worse case scenario, but I won't fly in an environment such as this. The Ostie scurge will be gone, replaced by a gaggle of Zekes, Spits, and 190 A5s looking to rip into every higher-performing plane they see. Kill stealing will be at an all time high, and so will the whining. Everything that's near perk status, or that performs better than your ride, will be a target. An incentive to fight harder against that P-47D, but also a witch-hunt of sorts.

Believe me, the perk system may cause this degree of migrain. I just pray HTC can fix it before it gets out of hand.

-----------------------
Flakbait
Delta 6's Flight School
"For yay did the sky darken, and split open and spew forth fire, and
through the smoke rode the Four Wurgers of the Apocalypse.
And on their canopies was tattooed the number of the Beast, and the
number was 190." Jedi, Verse Five, Capter Two, The Book of Dweeb

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2000, 06:56:00 PM »
LOL.. Hunt me. Kill me. Stock up on points.

*yawn*

Just another day in the fediddlein MA.  

Would you rather we had no points.. no scores at all? (I would, but figure if I sit down to play poker; I'd better play and not argue about the rules)

Hang (still checkin tickets)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Torgo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2000, 06:57:00 PM »
I've always seen kill-stealing as the most non-existent problem there ever was.

I find it incomprehensible that people complain about it.

Whoever gets the kill gets the kill. They don't "belong" to anyone. For all I know, the guy I'm stealing the kill from is about to run out of ammo, or wep, or whatever.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2000, 07:00:00 PM »
Hehhehheee.. Flak.. sounds like yer describing the food chain... in reverse. Pilot fish are really stalkin that damn shark... not hangin in trail lookin fer scraps. My; won't mister shark be pissed when he's on the menu fer a change.

Sounds like fun.  

...at home, or abroad.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2000, 07:01:00 PM »
Pre-release whining about whining.  I believe we reached a new level of efficiency.  
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2000, 07:10:00 PM »
 What Popeye said above   and more.....

I've never seen such a gaggle of whining feet stompers in my life. It's like you folks just KNOW the medicine is going to taste horrible, even though you've never had it before. A.G.W. had definately passed the crown.

-Westy

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2000, 07:18:00 PM »
I wasn't intending this as a whine.  I was just pointing out a possible weakness, something HTC might not have thought about.

Hangtime,
You will never see me in a Perk Vehicle.  I'm really not interested in them.  I fly.

I've been flying Zeros and Bf109G-2s on the few chances I've had to fly this tour.  I'm preparing to be one of the pilot fish hunting the shark.  

No complaints from me.

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2000, 07:18:00 PM »
What Popeye said...

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2000, 07:33:00 PM »
A "Version 1.05 Feedback" Forum would certainly take alot of the new version speculation related, and whine posts (pre-and post realse) into a managable area, all the while keeping the General Forum still readable.

[This message has been edited by Creamo (edited 12-18-2000).]

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2000, 07:43:00 PM »
What the hell?? Creamo?? You ok??

A sane post... great MA flying.. (saw him pass up a chute to clear my six the other day) Somethins not right here.. I suspect foul play.

HEY THATS NOT CREAMO!! Somebody call the FDB's.. Creamo's meds ran out.. on in.. or somethin... mebbe Badger stole his computer!

<S!> Creamo. You run fer president; (or dog catcher) I'll vote fer yah!  

Hang

...at home, or abroad.

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2000, 07:48:00 PM »
whiners keep it interesting.
nothing like having someone recognize
your kill on the open buffer.
sax

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2000, 07:56:00 PM »
I am really looking forward to hunting perk planes.